General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

thinking of getting iPhone 5c with sprint.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts
thinking of getting iPhone 5c with sprint.

like the title says im thinking about getting a new phone with sprint. they seem to have the best rate for unlimited talk text and data. $80/month. and I could have the new iPhone 5c for free if I get a new 2yr contract.

soooo... what do you guys think? is sprint a pretty good carrier? is the 5c a good phone? ive heard the 5 isn't as good as a 4s?

opinions and experiences wanted....

Old 12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprint is absolute garbage here in most of IL.

I gave them a try last year for the same reason and bailed after 2 months. Nothing but dropped calls and terrible reception. The funny thing is they show "great service" in my area. I'd hate to see what they don't consider "great". I have tried almost every carrier out there, IMO AT&T and Verizon are the best.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to work in a Sprint call center.

Sprint/Nextel has been declining rapidly in the past few years and, as has been noted above, their service coverage can be an issue. The eastern states don't seem to have as much of a problem with that, but out here in the west, Sprint coverage is terrible - especially here on the coast where it's pretty much nonexistent.

If you know someone with Sprint phone, ask them how their coverage is - those service coverage 'maps' they show on the websites aren't all that accurate...

That being said, I now have a Verizon prepaid through StraightTalk. AT&T and T-Mobile are the next two 'higher rated' carriers, then Sprint/Nextel - who are pretty much at the bottom of the pool right now...

However, it's up to you what you get - sometimes it boils down to a matter of personal preference...

I can't answer the question about the iPhones - I use Android phones LOL...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
hmm, not the kind of answers I was hoping for....

well, as far as coverage goes, im in Phoenix 98% of the time, the other 2% im out in the desert somewhere. I have cricket now and im satisfied with the coverage they give me. there are a few dead spots around town but that doesn't bother me. I actually have better service when im out of town. (as far as I know, sprint is cricket's service partner so im on their network when im out of the valley, I think....) so if sprint is any better than cricket its still a step up. IF sprint is better (than cricket)...

as far as the iPhone 5 goes, I've heard mixed opinions. some say its the new greatest thing, while others say they liked their 4s better. I don't know either way, I've only played with one a couple of times... but it will defiantly be better than my current dumb phone.

my main concern here is the cost, Verizon wants more for less... that being said I don't at all trust these bargain networks like straight talk or the others that are out there now. I want a somewhat reputable name...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Nothing wrong with the iPhone 5, there isn't much difference between them all. I got bored with mine a while ago and switched to Android.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sammy77
Sprint is absolute garbage here in most of IL.

I gave them a try last year for the same reason and bailed after 2 months. Nothing but dropped calls and terrible reception. The funny thing is they show "great service" in my area. I'd hate to see what they don't consider "great". I have tried almost every carrier out there, IMO AT&T and Verizon are the best.
WHat Sam said... here in IL Sprint is terrible. You can't go wrong with Verizon or ATT.... I'm an ATT guy and have had them since I was in High School (lol 15 years ago) and travel all across the country and never have any real problems with them... but I know Verizon would be my choice if I ever had to change carriers...

Now the 5c.... I have had every iphone since the 3G.... and I have the 5 right now in which I love... my only reservation with going with the 5c is the io7 operating system. I am on io6 right now and ios7 is too much of a design difference for me to update right now.

But if you have never had an iphone or don't currently have one... you won't notice the difference becuase you didn't use the old ios every day.

As far as the phone... it is MILES better than the 4s. Faster Processor, Bigger Screen, better camera, LTE (4s can't get LTE), N-wifi capable (faster wifi), has the updated charging dock connector that ALL new apple products will have and a fingerprint scanner!

-The Great

Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
ok so the iphone 5-5c is good,

I checked again and cricket does in fact run on the sprint network. I have ok coverage most of the time where I go. so sprint will at least be the same if it isn't slightly better.

the only thing im seeing now is that 4g lte coverage isn't available anywhere I ever go. so the great new iPhone would only be running on 3g...

im tempted to go down to the sprint store soon and get signed on. I don't need the best coverage available, or even the the fastest data. I have NO DATA right now so...

my work load would be mostly texting, with some web surfing (checking email, browsing craigslist, getting driving directions) and calling thrown in. with unlimited everything I don't have to worry about how much I do, and although I might not do much, I may start doing a lot if I can.

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Verizon is the best here in No. Cal and sprint is horrible, my buddy is locked in. Running Iphone4s

Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
if sprint is as good or better than cricket than I can live...

Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plus with your iphone you will be able to get the FTE app and post from your phone!!! Alot of guys ONLY post from their phones

-The Great

Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're getting good coverage with Cricket, then you won't have any problem with Sprint in that area.

I run prepaid so I don't have to worry about contracts. Sure the phones are crap, but they're actually starting to get better - mine has a dual-core processor LOL... I was using Virgin Mobile, but they're on the Sprint network and I have no Sprint coverage here so, I was forced to switch...

Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you have good reception on a Sprint MVNO you should get good service on Sprint.
(Cricket, Ting, Freedom Pop, Boost, Virgin, Republic Wireless and others)

To check -real- coverage in your area go to Coverage Map for Sprint 4G USA - Sensorly - Unbiased Wireless Network Information, from people just like you choose your zip code and the type of service.

I dropped AT&T to go with Sprint.
Their rates and customer service are much better for me.
Unlimited MyWay plan and the ability to tether make sense.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
If you have good reception on a Sprint MVNO you should get good service on Sprint.
(Cricket, Ting, Freedom Pop, Boost, Virgin, Republic Wireless and others)

I dropped AT&T to go with Sprint.
Their rates and customer service are much better for me.
Unlimited MyWay plan and the ability to tether make sense.

my thinking exactly. I talked with one of the head guys at the sprint store, and he said they just dropped a S***ton of money on new towers and networking so they can catch up with Verizon and such. (sure he's gonna try to sell me) but it makes sense.

I think im gonna end up doing it.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
my thinking exactly. I talked with one of the head guys at the sprint store, and he said they just dropped a S***ton of money on new towers and networking so they can catch up with Verizon and such. (sure he's gonna try to sell me) but it makes sense.

I think im gonna end up doing it.

Ha! That's the same sales BS they gave me a year and a half ago! They will never catch up to Verizon and such.. Just like others have said, if you can get away saving money, why wouldn't you?

Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
I figured it was his sales pitch...

I found out a buddy of mine has sprint and an iphone. he lives in the same area I do and goes more places than I would. he says he hasn't had a problem...

Quick Reply: thinking of getting iPhone 5c with sprint.