1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

An Engine Rebuild/Refresh Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Thanks Nike, the ac clutch, pulley and coil are new. They went bad on me and I was lucky to get home. When I pulled the pulley off, all the bearing fell on the ground.
lol. That's why I made the comment Glenn

Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
That's a clean looking engine bay glenn. Especially that a/c compressor . I painted my pipes red last night.
Oh, haha, I guess I'm ready for bed, good night! LOL

Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Bill - yeah, i'm happy with the color choice. however, i'll be cutting corners and not painting up my accessories and mounts, so this is as good as it will ever look :-)

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I'm in love with both your motors guys! They are like beautiful women without any cloths on! I like my Ford grey IC pipes also. Just redid them when I had it all apart.
i like that alot, Glenn. nice work! i can't decide between black or the silver/grey i used on the engine for the IC pipes...

Originally Posted by ProjectDually
If you don't mind me asking, what is the total cost of the conversion so far?
i certainly don't mind you asking, but i am afraid to add up the numbers :-) it would take some digging, but if you're asking about just the e-fuel costs so far, i'm probably at $500-600 at this point. thats just a guess, though.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:37 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
and now to raise the age old question - which chip and who's tunes do i go with?!?! i know there are many threads on this, but i didnt have luck bringing up the ones i was thinking of with the search function.

i thought i was set on a TS6 chip, either with their own tunes or with Tony Wildman tunes, but i've been reading up on the DP F-6 chip and it seems like a nice setup with some good reviews. ...and at least the same cost (if not cheaper, if i'm not mistaken) than the TS chip, but with the flexibility of downloading tunes directly to the chip without uninstalling it and trying tunes out before you buy them... seems too good to be true ;-)

anyway - please weigh in with your opinions as i try to make my decision!

as far as my mods go, i have (or will shortly have):
Rosewood Stage-2's (160 cc with 80% over Nozzles)
T500 HPOP
S366 Turbo with intercooler
efuel
comp cam valve springs
0.080" wall pushrods

this seems like a pretty common build - anyone out there who has this care to share what tunes on their chip work best?

as usual - the help is much appreciated!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:16 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
i certainly don't mind you asking, but i am afraid to add up the numbers :-) it would take some digging, but if you're asking about just the e-fuel costs so far, i'm probably at $500-600 at this point. thats just a guess, though.
That's what I was figured. Seems like the most common number out there for the DIY.

Why go with the yor-lok fittings instead of AN fittings and SS braid lines? Is your build the better way to go as far as vibration resistance, or is it more for easier on the road replacement if something breaks?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:28 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow, that motor looks real good JP!

Check into the php hydra. I just put mine in. I got php tunes on it, but you can get many other tuners tunes on it too. It holds up to 15 tunes, iirc. Warning, to get the chip and custom tunes, it's not cheap.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:33 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Wow, that motor looks real good JP! Check into the php hydra. I just put mine in. I got php tunes on it, but you can get many other tuners tunes on it too. It holds up to 15 tunes, iirc. Warning, to get the chip and custom tunes, it's not cheap.
X2. Even if you only get a couple of tunes and add as you go. There's a lot of good tuners out there and everyone seems to have there plus. I kind of regret getting the ts now.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
not sure why i can't edit my own post - i guess its too old... anyway, i just pulled a quick parts list together as requested by Nik (Nossliw) and anyone else doing efuel, i guess. and hopefully this isn't poor form, but i just quoted myself below to have pictures to go with the list and keep people from having to go back and forth between post pages...

this is definitely not the cheapest route, as these Swage-lok/Yor-lok/Parker a-lok fittings are expensive, but as mentioned above, they're supposed to be second to none in terms of flareless tube fittings in leak and vibration resistance. other vendors i've used are listed below.

McMaster Items
5182K807 3 Each Type 316 Stainless Steel Yor-lok Tube Fitting, Straight Adapter For 1/4" Tube Od X 1/8 Npt Male
5182K112 2 Each Type 316 Stainless Steel Yor-lok Tube Fitting, Straight Adapter For 1/4" Tube Od X 3/8 Npt Male
5182K125 1 Each Type 316 Stainless Steel Yor-lok Tube Fitting, Straight Adapter For 3/8" Tube Od X 3/8 Npt Male
5182K463 2 Each Type 316 Stainless Steel Yor-lok Tube Fitting, Straight For 1/4" Tube X 9/16"-18 Unf Male Thread
5182K464 1 Each Type 316 Stainless Steel Yor-lok Tube Fitting, Straight For 3/8"tube X 9/16"-18 Unf Male Thread
5182K821 1 Each Type 316 Stainless Steel Yor-lok Tube Fitting, 90 Degree Elbow For 1/4" Tube Od X 1/8 Npt Male
4429K361 1 Each Low-pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, 3/8 Pipe Size, Wye
8989K721 1 Each Welded Type 304 Stainless Steel Tubing, 1/4" Od, .18" Id, .035" Wall, 6' Length
8989K761 2 Each Welded Type 304 Stainless Steel Tubing, 3/8" Od, .305" Id, .035" Wall, 6' Length
30555T41 2 Each Rubber-coated U-bolt, Type 304 Ss, 1/4"-20 Thread, For 1" Od, 3/4" Pipe
2421A4 1 Each Tube Bender For Soft Metals, For 3/16", 1/4", 3/8", And 1/2" Tube Od (def a high quality bender for ~$50. says for "soft materials" but is very sturdy and did the annealed 3/8" stainless no problem. also does 5/16" in the 3/8" dies just fine. even comes with math formulae in the instructions for determining raw material length and predicting bend locations...)

Summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FST-307030 (a cheaper alternative to the FASS regulator)

RiffRaff
Bosch Electric Fuel Pump - Riffraff Diesel Performance (what i thought would be the highest quality stock one out there. i'll run one and see if two are required.

thedieselstore.com
Stanadyne Fuel Manager FM100 Pre-filter Assembly with 3/8" NPTF ports & 4.3" 30-micron element (31865) PN 33641
Stanadyne Fuel Manager FM100 Heater Kit - 100 Watt - Top Load 12 volt PN 31341

Fleetfilter.com
BF7587 Baldwin BF7587 Fuel Filter (2 micron post filter)
24770 Wix 24770 & Napa 4770 Filter Base

and i just spent another $200 on McMaster tonight for fittings, valves and such for the filter bases and pump plumbing down on the frame. i'll post that list once i get it assembled and have some pictures for it.

one thing i will say about my setup if i had it to do over again: i would have not spent the time bending my own supply and return lines up the side of the engine, but rather just found a way to make the old ones work with modifications and minimal additional fittings. those stock lines do bend veeeery easily by hand and in the bender, so it probably could have been done, i was just stubborn and wanted the whole setup to be mine. ...and paid for that stubborness by wasting nearly a full day on those custom lines...

Thank you a grip!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
That's what I was figured. Seems like the most common number out there for the DIY.

Why go with the yor-lok fittings instead of AN fittings and SS braid lines? Is your build the better way to go as far as vibration resistance, or is it more for easier on the road replacement if something breaks?
I can't say if it'll be better or worse, but I'll let you know as I drive it :-)

I did it this way as it was my DIY friendly - at least comsidering my abilities/equipment. Bending hardline is easy making ss hoses yourself is not! Plus those fancy anodized AN fittings ain't cheap either.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and now to raise the age old question - which chip and who's tunes do i go with?!?! i know there are many threads on this, but i didnt have luck bringing up the ones i was thinking of with the search function.

i thought i was set on a TS6 chip, either with their own tunes or with Tony Wildman tunes, but i've been reading up on the DP F-6 chip and it seems like a nice setup with some good reviews. ...and at least the same cost (if not cheaper, if i'm not mistaken) than the TS chip, but with the flexibility of downloading tunes directly to the chip without uninstalling it and trying tunes out before you buy them... seems too good to be true ;-)

T500 HPOP
efuel
comp cam valve springs
0.080" wall pushrods

this seems like a pretty common build - anyone out there who has this care to share what tunes on their chip work best?

I have the same set up, and I have Tony Wildman tunes on a TS chip. I haven't tried any others, but I like Tony's. They are a little smokey, but make really good power. I've read that Gearhead has good tunes and aren't smokey, but they don't make the power like Tony's. Like I said though, I haven't tried any others with this truck, that's just what I've read.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I can't say if it'll be better or worse, but I'll let you know as I drive it :-)

I did it this way as it was my DIY friendly - at least comsidering my abilities/equipment. Bending hardline is easy making ss hoses yourself is not! Plus those fancy anodized AN fittings ain't cheap either.

Noted. Perhaps once the system is in, you can always make changes to what you are using. The biggest part is just the plumbing and wiring right?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Krause
Senior User
For the OP's question of tuner, I gotta say I would look into the Hydra chip. It's expensive, but with the right USB cord plugged in upon install, it never needs to be removed again. Tunes can be loaded via a laptop with free software, then the cord it rolled back up and stored again under the dash.

Also, If you are an android phone user, there is a App developed for the adroid market that allows you to put a bluetooth connector on the Hydra chip and control the settings from your phone, stays on the last setting used... Works with other chips as well but was developed for the hydra. No apple support unfortunately, they wont let the App in their App store.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Looking great JP! I'm a big fan of the monochromatic finishes. It looks killer!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I have the same set up, and I have Tony Wildman tunes on a TS chip. I haven't tried any others, but I like Tony's. They are a little smokey, but make really good power. I've read that Gearhead has good tunes and aren't smokey, but they don't make the power like Tony's. Like I said though, I haven't tried any others with this truck, that's just what I've read.
After talking to Travis and hearing your input, I'll be going with Tony Wildman once I get Stage 1s. I am hoping that will improve the TS a little bit. It woke my truck up, but only just enough to make me want more.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master

T500 HPOP
efuel
comp cam valve springs
0.080" wall pushrods

Mind me asking the PN for your springs and pushrods? I also was curious if you tossed a set of ARPs in there with stage 2s? I am not planning on needing them with my dinky stage 1s, but am doing so when they tire out and we go a little bit bigger.

Quick Reply: An Engine Rebuild/Refresh Thread