6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

SOOOO bright! LED lights added!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brmccolley
.........I have been unable to find a cover for this brand of light. Has anyone found a removable cover for the lens to protect it when not in use?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
From my Interwebs research, I came up with this:
Robot Check Robot Check
If it does not fit, I will send it back. But from the dimensions described in the Q/A page of the Amazon product reviews, I think it will fit. I will let you know Wednesday when I get it.

EDIT: Apparently, I purchased the last one and the price went up $8 plus shipping. I bet they stock more though and Amazon Prime will be available.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:08 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Well, now that I have my light bar installed, it got me thinking...

Last year when I was travelled to/from Virginia and Alberta for a hunting trip, I ended up kicking off quite a bit of ice that had built up on the front of my cousin's GMC truck. The ice was several inches thick and had even gotten as high as the headlights.

I suspect the repeated assault on the lens over time from road grime, salt and sand will handicap the effectiveness of the light.

In researching this subject I learned that some states are beginning to require covers for auxiliary lights, although I haven't been able to identify which states that may be.

I have been unable to find a cover for this brand of light. Has anyone found a removable cover for the lens to protect it when not in use?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I bet you 2 of these will work great
Westin 09-12231-K LED Light Cover:Amazon:Automotive

Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I may end up trying that.

I have had my doubts whether various vendor's products would work with the unit we've all been buying.

Being the resourceful guy I try to be, I figured out an option that may work. We'll see.

What I did was I took the foam lid from the protective packaging that the light was sent with to see if that would be sufficient to protect the light. Along with the vertical bolts used for the Rigid bracket, the foam piece seems to brace against the light fairly well. I went and got some Rustoleum flexible rubber coating and sprayed the foam pad black and to help with weather proofing the foam. I cut some Velcro pieces and put it on the front of the light so as to stick to the back of the foam pad. I also sprayed the bolts to help weather proof the vertical bolts and impede potential thieves.

I figured that the foam wouldn't freeze to the light whereas a plastic cover may be a bit more difficult to remove. It won't take much effort to pull the foam pad out of the way. It should keep the lens clean for when I really need it. We'll see how well it works out over time.

As it is now, it doesn't attract attention for all of the right reasons.

Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2014, 04:06 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Maybe you already answered this,but how did the rigid mount work for this light?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
Originally Posted by IronCobra
Maybe you already answered this,but how did the rigid mount work for this light?
I will know Wednesday when Amazon delivers. I really do think it will fit, but we will know for sure soon. BTW, the Amazon Prime price is back down as they restocked.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
The Rigid bracket looks like it will work.

Amazon.com: Rigid Industries 40136 Front Lower Grille Bracket for Ford Super Duty: Automotive Amazon.com: Rigid Industries 40136 Front Lower Grille Bracket for Ford Super Duty: Automotive

The holes on the Rigid bracket lined up for the license plate holder on the top of the bumper opening. The second set of holes on the Rigid bracket did not line up with the vertical tabs that are further apart from the center and are also mounted on the upper part of the bumper opening.

A separate set of support brackets were with the larger main bracket. Each support bracket mounts to each end of the light where the bolt goes into the side of the light. Each supporting bracket lead rearward at a downward 45 degree angle. The bottom of the 45 degree bracket lines up with a screw that secures the black plastic fascia to the under side of the bumper. These lower brackets lined up properly and seem to make the assembly more solidly secure.

I think it will work well for it's intended purpose.

The bolts at the top are longer than I expected. I used two nuts on each of the two license plate bolts, as well as blue thread locker, to help keep the top bolts secure.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
My Rigid LED light bar covers (2 10" covers) for the OP's light suggestion came in today from Amazon. Long story made short....They do not fit tight. It will require some thought and probably Velcro to make them work, but for $20 I will try and make them work. I will also wait to think about it when it cools down from triple digits this evening.

Made for a Rigid E Series 20" light bar cover on an off brand light. Not a tight fit.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:48 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mud_Man_Dude
My Rigid LED light bar covers (2 10" covers) for the OP's light suggestion came in today from Amazon. Long story made short....They do not fit tight. It will require some thought and probably Velcro to make them work, but for $20 I will try and make them work. I will also wait to think about it when it cools down from triple digits this evening.

Made for a Rigid E Series 20" light bar cover on an off brand light. Not a tight fit.
Do you think using a heat gun would allow the tabs to be adjusted to fit properly?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
Do you think using a heat gun would allow the tabs to be adjusted to fit properly?
Possibly, but doubt it. The bottom groove on the light is just not there for the lens cap tabs and there is about a 1/8" to1/4" gap from the lens cap and the light bar.

Have faith though, I went outside an used a little industrial Velcro on the center tabs only and corresponding location on the light bar and feel it works just fine. With the Velcro, the cap fits on the light bar tightly and it takes a little effort to remove the cap from the light bar. I don't see the vibration or wind from driving allowing the cap to come loose and fly away. For $20, I feel like it was a worthwhile purchase and add on. For what it is worth, I'd do it all again.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I put these on my Can Am Commander and they are bright. They use CREE LEDs as do the units that cost 4-5X. I like to buy made in the USA but at 5X the cost I can't do it.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by purplewg
I put these on my Can Am Commander and they are bright. They use CREE LEDs as do the units that cost 4-5X. I like to buy made in the USA but at 5X the cost I can't do it.
If you're talking about Rigid lights, then it's more like 7-10x the cost....no thank you.

I mean, I know Rigid hired Thor to personally inspect each Cree LED for output and uses Captain Americas shield technology for their housings. Even more impressive is the fact that they clean and treat each lens with water mixed with Baby Jesus tears, and then the light spends a year living in the ocean with a family of Alaskan seals during Shark week, but is it really worth having that level of technology when I can buy 10 of these, off brand, lights, made proudly by Chin Wong in a factory that also makes the elastic band in my underwear? Even though Tony Stark uses the Rigid lights on his Mark 8 suite... I don't think I'll ever be in an intergalactic fight with a transformer. Though the Rigid light will clearly give me a decisive advantage..... I'll stick with my $75 light....or 10 of them.

I hear the backlight on Chuck Norris's iPhone uses a Rigid LED with 50watt CREEs

These are all true statements by the way.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
I agree with you Iron Cobra. I did a little research and the China Shop and Rigid use the same exact LED technology. I just can't figure out how/why Rigid thinks theirs are worth so much more. Because they are "assembled in the USA"?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,426 Likes on 2,298 Posts
Originally Posted by purplewg
I agree with you Iron Cobra. I did a little research and the China Shop and Rigid use the same exact LED technology. I just can't figure out how/why Rigid thinks theirs are worth so much more. Because they are "assembled in the USA"?
I do not agree with your statement that they are the same exact technology. See below post from FTE member/admin/overall reliable source of information BigF350 as well as another post with the same chart with stated sources. They are most certainly NOT the same. I'm not saying you have to buy Rigid or Baja or whoever, but don't go saying they are the same. That is just an inaccurate statement. If your research proves me wrong, post it, don't say it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13765643
The Real Lumens - LED chart

Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I do not agree with your statement that they are the same exact technology. See below post from FTE member/admin/overall reliable source of information BigF350 as well as another post with the same chart with stated sources. They are most certainly NOT the same. I'm not saying you have to buy Rigid or Baja or whoever, but don't go saying they are the same. That is just an inaccurate statement. If your research proves me wrong, post it, don't say it.
Didn't mean to get your panties in a wad. Rigid E uses Z- series P4. The unit I bought uses Z-series P4. I understand Rigid makes other series though. Enough said.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Wondering if painters tape for the pesky state that requires covers on off-road lights would work for the drive through that state... Easily removable and cheap. Just thinking out loud here.