Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Deletes!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
e350daBeast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deletes!

Aloha!
I live in Hawaii, where it is warm (never gets below 65 deg), a little humid, and we don't have emissions restrictions!
I've read about "deletes" for 7.3s and have done some already. Without spending a ton of cash, what are ALL the deletes you would recommend for my 2001 e350 7.3L van?

So far, I've deleted:
  • EBP Sensor (cleaned and capped sensor and plugged tube)
  • EBPV (disconnected rod and wired butterfly valve open)

I will soon be deleting:
  • EBPV butterfly valve
  • Turbo pedestal (only if a good reason too...since I disconnected the ram to the valve, I'm not sure it hurts to keep the original pedestal...and saves me about $200)
  • Muffler
  • Anything else you all recommend

What deletes/mods do you recommend?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be interested to know what information led you to delete the exhaust backpressure sensor.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM
e350daBeast
New User
Originally Posted by Pikachu
I'd be interested to know what information led you to delete the exhaust backpressure sensor.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...or-delete.html

I didn't actually delete this sensor, just cleaned and plugged it so it would always read the same stable pressure (like what Pocket did in the above post). I've read a clogged tube gives bad readings and, since I don't live in a cold climate, I can just cap the sensor and plug the tube.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Capping off the ebps does more harm than good. That little doo dad is a big contrbuting source of information the pcm uses to calculate engine load.

If you are set on deleting stuff...

Air intake heater
Drivers side cac tube foil

Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM
e350daBeast
New User
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Capping off the ebps does more harm than good. That little doo dad is a big contrbuting source of information the pcm uses to calculate engine load.
Air intake heater
You are the first I've read to say that capping it does more harm than good. It is my understanding that this sensor is what tells the PCM to close the EBPV when cold. Since I don't live in a cold climate, this supposedly causes no harm.
Can you please explain why a steady air pressure from capping the sensor is bad (sorry, I am new to diesel engines)?

Mahalo for the delete tips!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Poor fuel economy and harsh shifting can be the result a clogged or non-functioning EBP sensor.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 PM
e350daBeast
New User
Originally Posted by Dan V
Poor fuel economy and harsh shifting can be the result a clogged or non-functioning EBP sensor.
I have the EBP Sensor still plugged into the wire harness, so it is still functioning. What I've done is capped the end that goes into the tube and plugged the tube (like what was done in the forum link I posted). This solution should provide a stable pressure for the sensor to read. Does anyone know if that sensor is supposed to have positive, neutral, or negative pressure or is it supposed to vary? BTW, the 'capping' method should be providing a neutral pressure.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
The sensor reading the actual exhaust back pressure is what PCM uses to tell how much load is on the engine. So the stable pressure you mention is the problem. If the PCM can't accurately read what is going on it cannot accurately manage the engine.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM
e350daBeast
New User
Originally Posted by greg_8507
The sensor reading the actual exhaust back pressure is what PCM uses to tell how much load is on the engine. So the stable pressure you mention is the problem. If the PCM can't accurately read what is going on it cannot accurately manage the engine.
I'm confused as to what is right...ugh! Some of you on here state that the EBP Sensor does more than what others on other forums have stated. At this forum, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...or-delete.html, someone posts the manual which states:

Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor
The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is a variable capacitor sensor that is supplied a 5-volt reference signal by the PCM and returns a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure. The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor measures the pressure in the RH exhaust manifold. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back-pressure control system.
The exhaust back-pressure is controlled by the PCM to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 7°C (45°F) and engine oil temperature is below 75°C (167°F) during low load, low speed operating conditions.
An open or short in the Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM, and the PCM will disable Exhaust Back-Pressure control

Who is right? What is correct? If I cap the EBP Sensor, will it really hurt anything more than warming up the cab faster (which I don't need here in Hawaii!)?

Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 AM
greg_8507
Elder User
That quote is out of the PC/ED service manual under the description for the EBP sensor. From the same manual, under the symptom chart for poor drivability/poor fuel economy and visible smoke, there are a couple of checks for the EBP sensor.

The initial description of the sensor might be vague, but the fact that you check the sensor when you have drivability issues means it does more than just help the PCM control the EBPV.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Yes, Jody has mentioned it before. I also talked to him about it when I did live tuning on my truck. He seemed to think that the way I have it set up that it won't affect drivability or reduce performance. It will also prevent any defueling from the EBP sensor. I've tested hooking it back up and have it read the backpressure, but I couldn't tell a difference at all in how the truck ran.
Jody is the tuner at DP, and Pocket is a tuner for himself. That thread was dated 2009, and a few more things have been brought to light since then. Your automatic shifts will be effected by the EBP, and there is some other mystery stuff going on that nobody has been able to "decode" - but the EBP sensor is not useless. In the thread, Jody said Pocket won't see a difference with the way he tuned his truck. I don't remember if Pocket's truck is stick or auto... or if he custom-tuned his truck in a way that circumvents the need for an EBP sensor.

The EBP sensor is how the PCM reads the load on the truck, and we have since learned the PCM defuels the truck at 22 PSI boost - at a time when EBP is high, but at no hard-set EBP value.

When you read something on the forum, always verify first. Ask the "why" of things, and wait for discrepancies in answers to appear - in order to get as much accurate information as possible. With all the information here, there is some stuff that is outdated, rumors, old wives tales, and just plain guessing.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 PM
e350daBeast
New User
Mahalo guys! I've bought a new EBPS and am currently installing it and cleaning out the tube.

Any other "deletes" you all recommend or do not recommend?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 PM
e350daBeast
New User
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Air intake heater
I'm currently deleting the AIH, mahalo!
I've read that deleting the foil can be bad. Any others' thoughts?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
The foil delete is quite popular. The only thing it does is makes the turbo more audible. The only risk i can think of, is if the boost tube is resting against something and the heat from the charged air burns a wire or power steering line. I don't know how hot the charged air gets so I'm only guessing.

When you do anything with the boost tubes you want to make sure they aren't touching anything anyways so they don't chaff something. So as long as you take your time putting the tube back in, there's no down side.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:50 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
They aren't deletes, but 2 popular and inexpensive mods that you may want to consider are the Hutch and Harpoon mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deletes!