rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran one when I had hypertec,it got rid of the 0475 code

Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some trucks can still throw a code even with the eliminator attached. You could try it and see what happens, but if you currently aren't having issues with the sensor, and your sensor tube is clean, then it won't make any difference.

If you are getting codes, then it might work to help eliminate them. Another option is to do what I did on my truck. I bought a 1/8" NPT plug and cap from Home Depot. I then unbolted the sensor and stuck the plug in place where the sensor was. Then I put a cap on the sensor tip to cover it up and prevent it from getting damage. Last I zip tied it to a safe spot. So now the sensor always reads ambient air pressures, and never triggers the CEL.

The downside to this is that you can no longer use your EBPV. If you plan to keep the EBPV functional, don't do the mod that I did. If you want to disable the EBPV, you can just unplug the connector at the base of the turbo pedestal.

My mod cost less than $2.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what exactly does the ebps do? and does it hurt to not have it?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Here ya go, right out of the manual:

<title>Diesel PCM Inputs</title><link href="V1C%7Eus%7Een%7Efile=V1Cstyle.htm%7Egen%7Ere f.htm" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor
Note: The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is not present on F650 and F750 models.
The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is a variable capacitor sensor that is supplied a 5-volt reference signal by the PCM and returns a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure. The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor measures the pressure in the RH exhaust manifold. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back-pressure control system.
The exhaust back-pressure is controlled by the PCM to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 7°C (45°F) and engine oil temperature is below 75°C (167°F) during low load, low speed operating conditions.
An open or short in the Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM, and the PCM will disable Exhaust Back-Pressure control.
That is about all it does. I don't like to disable it because I like to log that info along with map and compare the two to determine my drive pressure.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Completely removing it will set off the CEL and keep it permanently illuminated. Capping it off or installing the code eliminator won't hurt anything at all.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pocket
The downside to this is that you can no longer use your EBPV. If you plan to keep the EBPV functional, don't do the mod that I did. If you want to disable the EBPV, you can just unplug the connector at the base of the turbo pedestal.

My mod cost less than $2.
I want to completely disable mine. With a short exhaust it's way too loud and keeps closing while driving (as it should) but is super annoying. If I unplug it under the spider, will that send the computer into a defueling mode on the top end or higher rpm's? I read that somewhere. Or should I just do your mod Pocket, is it the same result I'm after?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Interesting I'm subscribing.....

Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The "Buy It Now" price is listed at $44.99, but in the description it says "This item at $29.99 will eliminate the need permanently."
Most interesting!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Yeah I didn't understand that price either

Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just unplugged the sensor and put a plug in the exhaust manifold port. This disables it but just sets a soft code and not a check engine light.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
so by deleting the EBS you plug the manifold, never clean the EBS tube again, and purchase an EBS eliminator to eliminate codes.

i'm assuming there isn't any performance gains are there? any benifite to eliminate the EBS?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:30 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not get the eliminator. It just won't open and close when the engine is cold. I don't think there are any gains. I just did not want to replace my sensor and bad tube.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
I want to completely disable mine. With a short exhaust it's way too loud and keeps closing while driving (as it should) but is super annoying. If I unplug it under the spider, will that send the computer into a defueling mode on the top end or higher rpm's?
Unplugging the connector at the turbo pedistal will not cause defueling problems, and will not do anything detrimental to performance. All that does is remove the electrical signal that commands the EBPV rod to extend and close off the exhaust. So once it's unplugged, the EBPV is permanently disabled. All it does is set a soft code, but you won't know it unless you hook up a scanner.

Or should I just do your mod Pocket, is it the same result I'm after?
The mod that I did on the sensor is different, and in a different location. The EBP sensor sits in front of the engine behind the idler pully. I had to cap mine off and zip tie it in place because if I completely removed the sensor, my truck will set off the CEL constantly.

I just unplugged the sensor and put a plug in the exhaust manifold port. This disables it but just sets a soft code and not a check engine light.
It is possible to do that on some trucks. Mine is not one of them. The only way to find out is to unplug it and drive the truck. Most illuminate the CEL, and some don't.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pocket
Unplugging the connector at the turbo pedistal will not cause defueling problems, and will not do anything detrimental to performance. All that does is remove the electrical signal that commands the EBPV rod to extend and close off the exhaust. So once it's unplugged, the EBPV is permanently disabled. All it does is set a soft code, but you won't know it unless you hook up a scanner.

The mod that I did on the sensor is different, and in a different location. The EBP sensor sits in front of the engine behind the idler pully. I had to cap mine off and zip tie it in place because if I completely removed the sensor, my truck will set off the CEL constantly.
I follow you mostly but, why did you do the mod your way with the sensor and not just unplug the connecter that controls the EBPV rod? Is it because your mod does not set a soft code at all? If that's the case, a soft code is cool with me. I unplugged the 'EBPV rod' on my F250 but then read something about defueling so I wanted to make sure before doing it on my Excurision. Thanks Curtis

Quick Reply: EBP sensor Delete?