6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2-3 second hesitation from idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-3 second hesitation from idle

Good morning. 6.0L owner here.. Friend just got a new-to-him 2011 F-350 CC DRW about 69K on the odometer. It is stock, no mods. I am posting for him as he has mentioned that he has had some less than good experiences on other forums and is a bit hesitant about posting.

I, on the other hand am not, and have had a VERY good experience with FTE, and I think he will too.

He is new to diesels and I have NOOO experience with 6.7's.

The truck, from Idle, seemed to have a hesitation with a noticeable ticking from the engine until 2nd gear. After that the truck runs smooth and strong. I ran it on secondary roads listening to the engine and then out on to the highway from a stop at the beginning of the on ramp, hard acceleration to 80 MPH. Again the truck had the initial hesitation, low power symptom which went away after 2-3 seconds.

Back to secondary roads, I allowed the truck to cost down to less than 5 MPH, applied pedal slowly and the hesitation was not present. Performed this 3 more times with no noticeable issue.

I have Torque App Pro that I use for my truck and used it with my tablet to see if there were any codes. P0087 showed. He does not have any idea when the fuel filter or if the fuel filter was changed at all in the first three years by the previous owner (actually it was a "company" truck).

That is sort of jumping ahead, but since there isn't any maintenance records for the truck, the fuel filter is relatively straight forward, I suggested inspecting, if not changing the fuel filter out.

A short browse through the 6.7L forum shows a few references to issues, or possible issues with the HPFP.

The year before he purchased this truck, it was only driven about 1000 miles.

So for the gurus here in the 6.7L forum, do you have any input? HPFP Filter, HPFP? Something else he should be looking at?

Thank you much in advance!

Eric

Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would certainly change the fuel filter asap. and clear the code.

haven't been too many reports of this P0087 code on the 6.7's.

tell your friend to come on over, this is the nicest group of folks I have ever been in contact with. and I gotta tell you collectively I don't know if there is a group of folks that know more about these vehicles.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I would certainly change the fuel filter asap. and clear the code.

haven't been too many reports of this P0087 code on the 6.7's.

tell your friend to come on over, this is the nicest group of folks I have ever been in contact with. and I gotta tell you collectively I don't know if there is a group of folks that know more about these vehicles.
Fixed that for ya

But yeah, Eric, tell him to stop in, great group of guys (and gals) in here

As for the hesitation, that's one of those "X-files" subjects, around here, some folks swear they have a problem, others think its placebo/unfamiliarity with a turbo/diesel. I personally disable the traction control and place the transmission in tow/haul mode immediately after start-up, it really makes the truck drive like a different animal.

Changing the fuel filters on these trucks is super easy, btw.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Thank you very much, I forwarded the initial reply to him, hopefully he'll get logged in.

I found the HPFP and filter assembly for him yesterday. I was jealous.... mine is B%&tch!!!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Lord Kurgun
New User
Two things, I have joined the group, and I've ordered the fuel filters. I look forword to being a Ford Enthusiast.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lord Kurgun
Two things, I have joined the group, and I've ordered the fuel filters. I look forword to being a Ford Enthusiast.
Excellent!!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
With the modern emissions systems there is a little hesitation at full throttle.

the pcm is trying to give the motor time to make some boost so you don't just dump fuel.

Try tipping into the throttle and that should take care of it. It is just a matter of getting used to it.

For the ticking, sometimes an oil change will change the sound a bit. It is really nothing to be concerned about at this point.

the ticking has always been around even in previous motors but as they get quietier these sounds show up.

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Welcome to FTE !
Hope you enjoy the 6.7 group.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I experienced the same thing, back in 2010 when I got my 6.7L, having owned 2 other F250's with the V-10. The V-10's were really crisp and responsive so it was a big change.

I believe like others posted, it's emission based programming to keep from dumping too much fuel before the engine can really take it. Basically so it's not making black smoke as well as clogging up the DPF in the exhaust. Once I "tweaked" mine the hesitation is down to less than a second I'm guessing, and it just might be putting out some smoke.

As for the noise, i had a noise before anything was done to my truck, somewhere near 7-8 thousand miles. Dealership replaced the driveshaft and both u-joints, wallah clicking was gone. 10K miles or so later ticking was back. It's still there now at 70K plus miles, never gotten worse but I may see if they'll replace it before it hits 100K.