Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My 92 build - in progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it the R&D down pipe that comes with his pipe kit or something else? You bought his stage 1 hotside kit right?

Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, the R&D DP. I have the hotside, turbo and intake. Its a tight fit between the firewall, but that isnt my complaint, the DP was hitting the injector line, and the transmission. Wouldve been easier to build one from scratch. Alls well that ends well tho, exhaust is in and hooked up. All i have to do is tighten up my IC and bolt the front end on. Its ready to fire. Ran into a snag with parts, shouldve ordered boots and stuff weeks ago, and i didnt. Tried to find "local" to no avail. So i fabbed up a little manifold out of some scrap pipe to go from turbo to intake, and ill take it to portland non-intercooled. Hopefuly i can find the boots up there and hook it up, if not, ebay has em. The nerves have definitely set in.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:40 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
SHE LIVES!!! After a quick scare with the oil pressure gauge from switching to the actual sending unit, i have great oil pressure. This thing runs crazy smooth, great throttle response. I have a massive leak where my DP connects to the turbo, i think i have the wrong clamp, cant find the one that came with the DP. Boost response is excellent, power seems great, can only get to about 10 psi before i blow the boots off, but im working on that currently. It just starts to spool and ppoooossshhhh. Quick run up the road the pyro says 650 at 65. Havent slapped a meter on it yet, thats after i fix up the manifold. If i have to guess im going to say its advanced no exhaust tone, and it hazes just a little while crusing. Thinking about 6* of timing for break in.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:34 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
YES SIR! Videos please, when you get her straightened out of course.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
No way to take vid atm. Popped the cheapo boot so guess i need to order some real ones. Turbo is leaking some oil in the compressor housing, and i have a small oil leak dripping from the block adapter by the starter. Timing was at 15.8, have it pulled back to 7-7.2, sounds and runs alot better. Too damn hot outside to do anything, plus now that its alive, ive kinda run outta steam, especially since i wont be able to take it to portland for the break-in run w/out boots and having the oil leak. Also, if you push the clutch ALL the way to the floor, i get a ticking of some kind, only does it in the last 1-2" of pedal travel

Old 07-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to hear you are up and running, sounds like the results will be really sweet once you get the kinks worked out. I am surprised about the DP, it almost seems like you got the wrong one by mistake. Justin told me it was tight but it should fit after removing the heat shield and BFH-ing the firewall. But if yours didn't clear the hard lines and transmission that just does not sound right. I'm anxious to get the full report on how that IP and turbo combination works. I hear you though about working out in the heat.... it's definitely been keeping me from making much progress on my trucks when my tools are too hot to touch!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:54 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I cant speak to how the turbo does on the top end, but crusing at 65 i was around 4psi (2200rpm). At that RPM response wasnt instant, but it sure didnt take long either. Couldnt play around with it at higher rpms due to the boots, and i dont want to wail on it too much till she has a couple hundered miles on it at least. Walked it a little in OD and boost jumped to almost 20 pretty damn fast, and then went the boot lol. So much better than my 088 its not even funny. Also, after the boot blew, drove it back, response and power "NA" seemed pretty good, as did throttle response. I dont know if thats Justins cam at work, or just a fresh engine, torque at idle seems very good. One thing for sure, without boost (and with to some extent) its very very hard to not overfuel with the 110cc. I think i will be ordering the smoke puff eliminator, just so im not having to watch my mirrors all the time to not turn day into dusk.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Man, I want to build mine!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I cant speak to how the turbo does on the top end, but crusing at 65 i was around 4psi (2200rpm). At that RPM response wasnt instant, but it sure didnt take long either. Couldnt play around with it at higher rpms due to the boots, and i dont want to wail on it too much till she has a couple hundered miles on it at least. Walked it a little in OD and boost jumped to almost 20 pretty damn fast, and then went the boot lol. So much better than my 088 its not even funny. Also, after the boot blew, drove it back, response and power "NA" seemed pretty good, as did throttle response. I dont know if thats Justins cam at work, or just a fresh engine, torque at idle seems very good. One thing for sure, without boost (and with to some extent) its very very hard to not overfuel with the 110cc. I think i will be ordering the smoke puff eliminator, just so im not having to watch my mirrors all the time to not turn day into dusk.
Glad you got it running! It sounds like it will be a really fun setup! I would wait on the smoke puff limiter until you have the boots and everything sealed up.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:28 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I will put this here too.... probably less idiocy than facebook.
Havent put a lot of miles on the new engine, only around 8k. Finally did some towing with it up the grade and have some thoughts. Was towing around 7500lbs, so not a lot but enough to load the engine and really see some characteristics. Its a virgin bore 7.3 with total seals, 110cc pump and S362/68/.91T4 SXE, ZF5. Timing is 8.2 btdc iirc, which im sure now, is too much. Ive always thought it was a little easy to get into the smoke, but it starts well and doesnt clatter as it did when it was 16 something upon first installation. Fuel economy is 14ish, mostly hwy running 75, 3.73s and 255/85s
Engine loaded around 1800-2200 rpms causes rapid egt raising, to a max of around 870, loaded at 2500-2800 rpms makes the egts climb significantly slower, and tops out around 800. In either scenario the turbo was fully spooled, no smoke, making 16-18 on my gauge.
Something im still trying to workout, 2800+rpms, load or no load i get a haze out the exhaust, if i shift above 2800 rpms i get a puff of grey smoke as soon as i get off the throttle, they higher i go, the worse the haze is. At 4000rpms im smokin pretty good. Really feel the power start dropping off after 3k, pulling to 4 is pointless, pulls much harder 1800-2800, verified by 0-60 times.Clearly, overfueling isnt an issue, ive not yet to date been able to hit 900*, although, my probe is in the DP right after the turbo. Top end seems like im running out of timing, egts tell a different story, yet dont explain the hazing.
Going to pull some timing out this weekend and see how it acts. Thinking around 6 to start.My rodded out 3 core brass radiator is still not up to the challenge, same as with old engine, anything over 700 on the pyro and the temp gauge just climbs. Does have a big *** banks intercooler in front of it now. Fan clutch is a napa POS and never unlocks, shroud is intstalled. Pretty sure im going to buy a Champion 4 row aluminum at this point.Just looking for thoughts and input. Advice on keeping this thing cool so i can use more than half the throttle would be nice.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:15 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For the money you've spent on the engine I'd go for a mishimoto radiator. They're solid aluminum, made in USA. Champions only last a few years in my experience.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:33 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy7
For the money you've spent on the engine I'd go for a mishimoto radiator. They're solid aluminum, made in USA. Champions only last a few years in my experience.
I know one or two members had some issue with them, but a shop im very familiar with has been selling them for a few years now and claim theyve never had a single return. In fact, when i asked them about em, i found out the owner actually has a 94 IDIT, bought a radiator for it, was so impressed with how they were built he started selling them. Hes had it in there several years, so maybe there is a chance the quality has fallen off, but they say they still sell plenty of them. The champions are all aluminum / welded construction as well. The radiator that is in there isnt cheap by any means, i asked the shop that rebuilt it if it was a good one or a cheap one, he said its a good one and should work fine. I dont know if im having other issues or not. 900* egts in the DP translates to 1100-1200 in the DP, so its not a matter of getting too hot in the exhaust, but if the timing is too advanced, it could make it run hot.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:32 AM
Aaron Keiser
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dats a perdy motor

Old 11-01-2018, 10:24 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Guess i forgot to update again. Pulled some timing, a lot actually. Just reefed it over as far as i dared without loosening lines figuring it would be easier to put timing back in little by little vs retarding. At 5.5 btdc via pulse now. Turbo response is improved, egts at low speed, cruise, and under load are 50-100* cooler across the board. Havent driven enough / consistently enough to get a good feel on fuel economy, but got 14 last fill, same as what it was getting, except i was dragging a 4000lb trailer for 250 miles, half of that with a pickup on there. It was a nice cool day, so i was able to really play with the throttle before coolant temps got too carried away. 6.5% grade in 4th i walked into it at 1400 rpm and shot up the hill. I did finally manage to eclipse 900 barely, which i suspect is due only to pulling it down so low and overfueling so hard. Even with the timing pulled, the turbo doesnt really come alive until 1700-1800. Besides the hotrodding, the pyro is much better behaved, stays cooler, slower to climb.

Empty: Off idle torque feels the same, like starting out in 2nd, no more or less smoke than before. The haze above 3k is much diminished, as is the "wall" i was hitting. It pulls smoothly to 4k now, instead of falling on its face it just kinda feels the same from 3k-4k, which is to be expected with the defuelling, even with the 110cc. Boost at cruise is now 5-6 vs 4-5. Cruise egts dropped from 575-625 to 500-550

Conclusion: I dont have one really, where its at now is better than before, but now i dont know which way to go to look for further improvement. It still runs cooler in the upper rpms, IE 2800 vs 2200, which, could be normal i suppose. Maybe im just used to Cats and my old engine, both of which run coolest just above torque peak 2200-2300 in my old engine.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:46 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
lol, was just re-reading some of the old posts... sure do miss what the exhaust used to sound like, the drawback of justins twin scroll up-pipes.

Quick Reply: My 92 build - in progress