6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Truck reduced engine power

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 PM
DSun
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Truck reduced engine power

So I just went on a vacation pulling my horse trailer (first time leaving the state with this truck) and at about 5 hrs into the trip I had a message Reduced Engine Power and went from 70 on the interstate to 10 miles an hour and slowing rather quickly. I ended up shutting it off and restarting and it came back just like normal. I found the nearest ford dealer and they put the computer on it and it showed absolutely nothing, no codes and nothing wrong. The mechanic reset some things and we went on our way. Then I ended up getting a check engine light saturday. I found someone to read the code and it came up with P164A which is an O2 sensor, he was able to clear it and I put on probably 50 miles today and no check engine light. I have about a 10 hour drive back home. Still debating if I take it to ford near here if they will do anything now that it doesn't show a light?? I hate to chance getting broke down on the highway with a truck that will basically shut down like that?? It just doesn't make sense to me. Any input will be great. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can thank the EPA, not Ford, for this insanity. All the manufacturers are still struggling to get reliability back into our diesels while meeting EPA standards. EPA mandated shutdowns on emissions sensor issues with some exemptions for emergency vehicles..

Old 06-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,995 Likes on 1,600 Posts
I have had: lack of power.....Forced power reduction.....Very low fuel mileage reading......fluctuating Turbo boost pressure.

Cure........

Stop. shutdown......wait 30 seconds.....restart.
I wait until the gauge pointers stop moving before starting.

Problem goes away. Talked with my service guy at the Ford dealer. He had heard the same from others. No suggestions other than what I did.
It's like rebooting a computer........Reboot the truck.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 PM
pstroke67
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DSun
So I just went on a vacation pulling my horse trailer (first time leaving the state with this truck) and at about 5 hrs into the trip I had a message Reduced Engine Power and went from 70 on the interstate to 10 miles an hour and slowing rather quickly. I ended up shutting it off and restarting and it came back just like normal. I found the nearest ford dealer and they put the computer on it and it showed absolutely nothing, no codes and nothing wrong. The mechanic reset some things and we went on our way. Then I ended up getting a check engine light saturday. I found someone to read the code and it came up with P164A which is an O2 sensor, he was able to clear it and I put on probably 50 miles today and no check engine light. I have about a 10 hour drive back home. Still debating if I take it to ford near here if they will do anything now that it doesn't show a light?? I hate to chance getting broke down on the highway with a truck that will basically shut down like that?? It just doesn't make sense to me. Any input will be great. Thanks.
If your truck is an early 11 model then there is a tsb to replace nox sensor with updated part reprogram pcm to latest calibration and reset nox adaptive tables take it to dealer and tell them the code you got if truck under 5 yr or 60k miles then it's covered under emissions defect warranty

Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 PM
DSun
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is a 2012, but my dealer said he had replaced several NOX sensors after the 2011's. After they reprogrammed the sensors it hasn't had a service light again, but it doesn't sound right now. Probably my imagination but when I take it in again I'm going to have them check the sensor and some other stuff. Thanks, Don.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the up-date Don.

FYI: I just finished a 2500 mile trip towing a 42ft 5th wheel at 17K Lbs. Montana to central Oregon to coast of Oregon to North coast of Oregon to North central Washington to Montana (Great Falls)

The truck did GREAT !! pulled like there was no tomorrow. Home to home avg 9.7 mpg calculated. (dash said 9.9 mpg)

Early on after getting my truck, had sensor problems. Replaced and a new program. Life has been good.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Roy - So I am not the only one that notices a restart sometimes produces a different truck...

Old 07-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Dakster
Roy - So I am not the only one that notices a restart sometimes produces a different truck...
Yep it does.........Dak