2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2015 Expedition Problems constant check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 PM
ConcreteAce
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Expedition Problems constant check engine light

So a few weeks back I bought my wife a new Expedition. Please excuse me when i refer to it as a truck, I bought it from the same salesman and dealer who I bought my 2013 F350 from. That dealer is about 4 hrs away from me but I still used him due to how smooth my last transaction went.

Well the first week we had the truck the check engine light came on. At this time we had less than 400 miles on the vehicle. There was 48 miles on the truck and we drove it 250 miles home after buying it. Well the wife drove it down to the local dealer which is only about 5 minutes from us. They gave her an appointment for the following week. During the next few days the check engine light went out and we were afraid that they wouldn't be able to duplicate the issues or no codes would come up. She did print out the sync diagnostic from the website when it came on so that she could show the service rep that it did indeed come on. Come the weekend before it was due to go in to the dealer the light did come on again a couple of times.

So she takes it to the dealer when it was scheduled to go. They call her later that day and said it was some type of connection on the turbo was loose and that it would be ready to pick up the following day. I drive her to get the truck and first thing she noticed is that the running boards would not come down. SO she gets the service guy out there to see what was going on. It happened to be that someone had turned that feature off, but while the service rep was fixing the issue the check engine light came on yet again.
So back in the service department it went and we headed back home.

A few days later they call to tell us it is bringing up "ghost codes" and that Ford was sending out a new computer for it, at that time they asked us to bring out the second set of keys because they would need them for programming when the new computer arrived.

About a week went by and they finally called us and said the truck was ready. Wife gets excited that she gets her truck back, we get there she gets the keys and inspects her truck to make sure nothing was scratched or dinged (she really loves her truck) she gets in hits the button to start it and immediately I can tell something is wrong , yep as before the check engine light was on.

So back to the service guy we go. He calls the tech and tells us he will let us know when it is ready. He calls a few days later and tells the wife that Ford told them to check all the grounds on the truck, and that is what they were doing at that time.

Well the service rep called this past Friday asking "US" what we wanted done. He said that there is nothing wrong with the truck and that it runs fine it just has what he calls a "pesky check engine light" of course the wife really flipped out over this and said she wanted her truck fixed.

Sorry for such a long winded explanation but I wanted to get the whole story out. It sure doesn't seem as long when you are talking about it opposed to typing it out. I am really at a loss as to what to do now. I have never had a vehicle that the dealer said they could not fix. Right now it has less than 700 miles on it and the dealer service department has had the truck longer than we have.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:52 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sorry to hear that. If it is a Ford dealer, they have strict customer satisfaction protocols. You are well within yours rights to appeal to Ford directly. With the how many miles are on it, it is obvious that it is a manufacturer default.

What are the lemon laws in your state?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM
ConcreteAce
Freshman User
I have been looking in to the lemon law for Texas. Hopefully we hear something today.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Ironically, it was announced today that Dodge has to offer to buy back thousands of trucks as a result of not handling a recall properly. It will be interesting to see how many people take them up on that offer.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:20 PM
ConcreteAce
Freshman User
Well just an update: no word from the service rep today. I did call Ford they assured me that a regional customer service rep would get back to me within 4 hours. 5 hours went by and I called again, now they say a rep will get back to me tomorrow.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Keep us updated

Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM
ConcreteAce
Freshman User
Well week four is upon us and the Expedition is still at the service department of Tomball Ford. Supposedly Ford is sending out a tech, no word of when they will get to it.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Please tell me that they have given you a comparable loaner.... This is just insane.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 PM
ConcreteAce
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Beachums
Please tell me that they have given you a comparable loaner.... This is just insane.

I wish that was the case, they did provide us with a rental car from enterprise, I think my wife would not be on my case as much if it wasn't for the fact that its a tight fit to get the whole family in it, between us 5 and car seats there is really no room at all. The Ford Customer service rep let us know that giving us a loaner car was not Ford Warranty responsibility.

We are going on week 5 now. Still no Expedition. Apparently they are waiting on a new wire harness to come in and then Ford is supposed to send out an engineer. I am really worried about future issues with them taking apart so much of this truck.

I did get tired of not getting updates and lost my cool there for a bit, it just does not make any sense to me that it is taking this long to figure what the issue is. It didn't take them this long to build the truck from scratch.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Originally Posted by ConcreteAce
I wish that was the case, they did provide us with a rental car from enterprise, I think my wife would not be on my case as much if it wasn't for the fact that its a tight fit to get the whole family in it, between us 5 and car seats there is really no room at all. The Ford Customer service rep let us know that giving us a loaner car was not Ford Warranty responsibility.

We are going on week 5 now. Still no Expedition. Apparently they are waiting on a new wire harness to come in and then Ford is supposed to send out an engineer. I am really worried about future issues with them taking apart so much of this truck.

I did get tired of not getting updates and lost my cool there for a bit, it just does not make any sense to me that it is taking this long to figure what the issue is. It didn't take them this long to build the truck from scratch.

Now that's effed up. Billion dollar corporation wants to take a hefty percentage of your household income. They then realize that they sold you what essentially is a lemon. So you are still paying your hefty percentage while they take their sweet time, and they cannot get you a comparable rental?

Way to go Ford..... you should be ashamed.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:52 PM
ConcreteAce
Freshman User
Well we got a call from Wendy our regional customer service rep. She said that the engineer would be here this afternoon to pull a new harness. Tomball Ford calls at around 5:30 and says that Ford is not sending an engineer out and that Ford wants them to pull the new harness. I am just not understanding who are what to believe at this point. Tomball Ford tells us they are not even sure the new harness will fix the issue. Well I will update when I know more.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I think it's time to start thinking about Lemon Laws. Here's some good resources:

How Do Lemon Laws Work?

TxDMV.GOV - Lemon Law

Texas Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org

Also, don't bother with the BBB; read this article to understand why:
The Better Business Bureau Can't Help You

Old 08-18-2015, 04:22 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree on the lemon laws. You have been without your truck for a long time, and replacing a wire harness is likely to take a long time and end up creating yet more problems.

I would have lost my patience long ago. This is not an inexpensive vehicle. It is brand new and you have every right to expect it to be completely reliable and near perfect in every way.

Good luck,
George

Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
To qualify for Lemon Law, there's a few thresholds that must be met so you're going to have to be steadfast and hope that they don't actually resolve the issue.

Quick Reply: 2015 Expedition Problems constant check engine light