6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Cracked Heads...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Heads...

This is my first post over here in the 6.0 side of the house, as I mainly hang out on the Excursion threads...

I have my 6.0 apart getting studs, and the heads were at the machine shop getting checked.

At first all looked good, but when they hit the heads with a magnetic powder, many small cracks appeared on almost all of the exhaust valve seats. About one crack per valve. There are a few intake valves that also have these small cracks.

There have been no signs of leaks, the these small cracks have not spread past the valve seats.

So, I am not sure if it is worth continuing to run them... Are these cracks something to be worried about? Could the heads fail on me down the line? Should I shift money and plans around and buy new heads?

Sorry for the linty of questions, I just want to make the "right" decision now since the heads are off the engine.

Thank you for any direction and feedback.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can they just machine Em and install new seats?

Sent from my leash using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 78fordman
Can they just machine Em and install new seats?

Sent from my leash using IB AutoGroup
The heads don't currently have pressed in seats. We did talk about the possibility, but we would have to get the heads to a different shop, most likely in Portland.

I am located on the Oregon coast, so there is only so much that is available locally.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a very common issue with 6.0 heads. I can't tell you how many sets I have pulled off and found "micro" cracks there. There is a ford TSB that says those are fine and can be run, but I can tell you I wouldn't do it. IMHO Your asking for problems down the road if you do. I see about 60-70% of the head jobs I do with these "micro" cracks in them, and I do at least 2-3 of them a month.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Thanks for the information. I guess my question is, if the micro cracks are so common, are they actually leading to issues? Do they eventually continue running and become an even bigger problem? I know it is my engine, and I will be taking a chance at putting them back on, but at a $1000 a head, I am not sure I have the money for that type of repair at the moment.

Are there other alternatives than OEM heads? I have seen a few online, but I can't find reviews at all, good or bad.

Thank you all for the help!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Thanks for the information. I guess my question is, if the micro cracks are so common, are they actually leading to issues? Do they eventually continue running and become an even bigger problem? I know it is my engine, and I will be taking a chance at putting them back on, but at a $1000 a head, I am not sure I have the money for that type of repair at the moment.

Are there other alternatives than OEM heads? I have seen a few online, but I can't find reviews at all, good or bad.

Thank you all for the help!
The aftermarket/Chinese heads are junk and crack worse than OEM. There is a TSB from Ford on the micro cracks which defines acceptability.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
So, I found this on another thread...

section 303-01c general procedures in Fords on line workshop book

Cleaning and Visual Inspection
NOTE: The cylinder head cleaning and the cylinder head distortion check procedures are different than other engines. Watching the video prior to carrying out the procedure may be helpful if doing the procedure for the first time.

NOTE: It is important that the cylinder head be thoroughly cleaned prior to taking cylinder head distortion measurements. Failure to remove carbon deposits or other material from measurement areas will result in inaccurate measurements.
Clean the cylinder head. For additional information, refer to Cylinder Head Cleaning in this section.

NOTE: Cylinder heads that contain carbon buildup in the coolant areas may show evidence of surface pitting when cleaned. Surface pitting in the coolant areas is not cause for replacement of the cylinder head.

NOTE: Staining of the metal surface is normal and does not affect sealing ability.

NOTE: Witness marks or indentations in the cylinder head resulting from the head gasket fire rings are normal and do not affect sealing ability.

NOTE: The surface finish on the cylinder head may appear to contain "record grooves", which is a normal condition.

NOTE: The cylinder head combustion chamber area may exhibit very small "surface fissures" or "microcracks" during a Magnaflux inspection process. These surface fissures or microcracks are typically located between the glow plug and the valve seats. They DO NOT extend into the coolant jacket and will not cause coolant loss or cooling system overpressurization. The presence of surface fissures or microcracks is not cause for replacement of the cylinder head.

Inspect the cylinder head for obvious signs of damage or distortion.

As it turns out, i am going to have to put my trust in the above statement. I can not float the cost of doing both heads at this time. Fingers crossed the heads last a while.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will probably be fine. I just don't trust that myself. If it were my truck (ie...not a customers truck) I would consider giving it a try. Just not something i'm willing to do to a customers truck and risk a comeback. You may be just fine, IDK, because as I said in my last post I have never attempted to re-run a head with known cracks. Please keep us posted on how this turns out for you.