First Bronco - Need Drivetrain Info Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Bronco - Need Drivetrain Info Please

Hello fellow Ford enthusiasts!

Though I've had many Ford trucks, this "new" 1996 is my first Bronco. Actually I purchased it for my wife and she loves it. It has the 5.0 automatic and push-button 4x4 (not the floor shifter). The engine was replaced 50k ago with a Ford crate longblock at the dealership, but the drivetrain has 180k on it.
Thus the problem, the rear differential has a significant amount of play in it. The most economical solution is to find a low-mileage differential to swap in. I believe it is a Ford 8.8" with 3:55 gears.

Here is my question: Do the 1992-96 F-150s have the same differentials? They seem to be easier to find, in fact I'm looking at a low-mileage '93 F-150 two wheel drive that has a 3:55 rear end in it. Will it work without major modification?

Also - if I can find a '92-'96 F-150 4x4, will the entire drive train swap with the Bronco? Or at least the front & rear axles?

Appreciate the help!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure, as long as it is the same Ford 8.8" with a VSS on top of the axle it should work.

If you find a '92-'96 you could swap the drivetrain again as long as it all matches up, but I believe as a '96 your truck might be MAF.

Or if you are going to swap drivetrain you could do a SAS (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...splay.php?f=29) on the front and rebuild the rear axle. If I was further along in my axle swaps I'd sell you the axles out of my '96.
Ford 8.8" 4.10s rebuilt with 3,000 miles
D44 TTB 4.10s rebuilt with 3,000 miles.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
Thanks for that. What does the 'VSS' stand for? And what is 'MAF'? I always thought it was Mass Air Flow...?

I would need a rear end with the speed sensor for the E4OD tranny to shift right, correct? It has ABS too. Do all '92-'96 Bronco/F-150s have both or just the last couple years for the ABS?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VSS is the vehicle speed sensor. if you have an E4OD transmission you will need the one that mounts in the axle housing unless you can find the VSS adaptor which I believe moves it to the back of the transfer case. or drill a hole in the diff, put a tone ring on, etc.

MAF is mass air flow correct.

As for the ABS I'm not sure on that one you would have to look it up.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:15 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
Got it. Thanks Fordman, I appreciate the help!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
slow down,

what sort of play are you speaking of in the axle? its normal for the axle shafts on the 8.8 to have some lateral play. because these are C clip axles you can push/pull on them a little which is normal. If the play is at the pinion well that could simply mean the nut needs tightened down which any reputable shop can do. Have you pulled the rear diff cover to inspect?

MAF has no relevance to his axle choices, MAF is related to the engine efi system to the motor alone. Your year is a stand alone year regarding most of the engine electronics so frankly staying with 96 year hardware would be advised to reduce parts hunting.

Yes the entire drive train ( motor, trans, transfer case, differentials) I just see no point in replacing any of these unless their is some major failure that requires replacement. it makes more sense to just rebuild what's under the truck.

the rear diffs can be swapped, from 92-96. Just make sure the gear ratio is the same. each of these 8.8 full size ford differentials will have the rear abs sensor which is sometimes called the VSS. some may have a stock limited slip in them which are prone to failure as well so if you do in fact need a rear diff be sure to open it up and look at the spider gears and turn the axle shaft to visually inspect the Tone ring. If its bent, missing teeth or gone which happens you would obviously need a different diff.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:16 PM
CircleRat
Junior User
Kemicalburns, thanks for all the info and advice. The play is in the pinion rotation, as you turn the driveshaft there is nearly a quarter turn of play. When driving you can definitely feel it slip as you start out from a standing stop, and again when you come to a complete stop. It clunks as it slips, and the same occurs when you shift from forward into reverse.

I first thought it was a bad U-joint but after inspecting it on a lift, the U-joints are tight. It is definitely in the differential.

What is the 'nut' you're referring to? If you mean the pinion nut, could it cause the type of play I have if it's loose? Is it located inside or outside the housing?

I checked into rebuilding it and the estimate is over $1000. I'm on a limited budget, so it makes more sense for me to find a low-mileage differential for $200 or so and it's a lot less time & labor to swap it out.

I asked about swapping the entire drivetrain because there is a complete F-150 4x4 I may be able to purchase for around $800. It was rolled so the body is shot but the drivetrain has no damage at all. It has less than 100,000 miles on it and has the same engine, except it has the mechanical (floor shift) transfer case and mine is electronic (push button). I'm unsure of the gear ratios so it may require swapping both front and rear differentials. But that's a lot of good spare parts for less than the cost of rebuilding the rear differential.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
if you have the space and time/tools to do the work get the parts rig. that price to rebuild the rear diff is extremely high. probably should shop around more.

the Tcase could be swapped over and would be good to have on hand being the electric tcases can fail (electric motor).

Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
We have a small farm here in southern Missouri so space is not a problem. I have a fair amount of tools and the axle swap isn't too big a job if one has enough jacks & stands, and the wheels are left on so the axles can be rolled out & under. Having a tractor with a loader is a big help too.

I'm semi-retired and as I said on a limited budget. I know there's a lot of folks who think nothing of throwing thousands of dollars into their trucks, and have some really nice rigs to show for it. But I just want good reliable vehicles that will last a few years, and look good enough for people to say "nice truck!". I happen to favor the '92 to '96-'97 Ford model years so I'll always have interchangeable parts and a growing knowledge base.

A decent '92-'96 F-150 parts truck will yield many mechanical, body and interior parts that will fit on the Bronco and my other trucks. It's nice to be able to swap sensors and solenoids when you have an elusive diagnostic problem too. I just had an O2 sensor fault on my '97 F-350 dually and swapping the O2 sensor from my '96 SRW F-350 confirmed it, both have the same 460 engine & E4OD tranny. I imagine I'll collect a plethora (love that word!) of spare parts over the years.

Heck, even my tractor is a Ford!