Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:16 PM
justplumducky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started to try the gravity bleed method today, but someone told me about using a glass jar (with some brake fluid in the bottom of it) at the end of the hose that's attached to the bleeder, instead of having a partner opening/closing the bleeder while you pump the pedal. That there's no chance of air getting into the end of the hose when the pedal pumping stops (while doing it yourself).

I pumped the pedal while watching the fluid level in the M-cylinder, then went back to the wheel and saw air in the hose. Pump it up again, noting how full that jar was the first time so I didn't overflow it on the second round of pumping. (could've used a deeper jar). Without a deeper jar, you have to empty the smaller jar at some point, but leaving some in the bottom of course. Took me three rounds of pumping before I went back to the wheel and found the hose completely full of fluid and no air bubbles. I pumped several times on each round.

Whaddya all think? An acceptable method? Will be doing the other 3 wheels tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,205 Posts
you could still possibly have air in the system doing it that way, because when you let off the brake fluid may be sucked back up the line. if an air bubble was in the line it would get sucked back into the wheel cylinder.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 AM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
you could still possibly have air in the system doing it that way, because when you let off the brake fluid may be sucked back up the line. if an air bubble was in the line it would get sucked back into the wheel cylinder.
I'm not saying your wrong, but I don't see any difference in what you're saying compared to the buddy system where a buddy closes the bleeder while the pedal is still down, after seeing that there's no air bubbles in the line between the bleeder and the container being used.

Oh wait, I see what you mean. Any bubble(s) would get sucked back up before you could get back there to see it. Well, so far I'm not going to have a helper again today, so when I see there's no bubbles in the line, I'll pump several times more, then go back and look for bubbles again. Let you know how it turns out. Maybe today will be the day I try the gravity method and see if any more bubbles come out after doing the "lone ranger" method.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by justplumducky
Thx Tom - I'm not saying your wrong, but I don't see any difference in what you're saying compared to the buddy system where a buddy closes the bleeder while the pedal is still down, after seeing that there's no air bubbles in the line between the bleeder and the container being used.

Oh wait, I see what you mean. The bubble would get sucked back up before you could get back there to see it.

I use the air compressor driven one man brake bleeder .........purchased (I think it was 30 some bucks) off the "guy in the tool truck" who comes by my business monthly.........works perfectly

Old 05-25-2014, 07:07 AM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350 1990
I use the air compressor driven one man brake bleeder .........purchased (I think it was 30 some bucks) off the "guy in the tool truck" who comes by my business monthly.........works perfectly:

I'll check it out F350 1990. Your image didn't show up in your post, but after hitting the Quote button to reply to your post, your URL did show up there, so I copied and pasted it into a new browser window and can see it now. But I don't have an air tank or a compressor. Still, it looks interesting - will check it out. Maybe I'll be getting a compressor one day. Thx for your reply.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by justplumducky
I'm not saying your wrong, but I don't see any difference in what you're saying compared to the buddy system where a buddy closes the bleeder while the pedal is still down, after seeing that there's no air bubbles in the line between the bleeder and the container being used.

Oh wait, I see what you mean. Any bubble(s) would get sucked back up before you could get back there to see it. Well, so far I'm not going to have a helper again today, so when I see there's no bubbles in the line, I'll pump several times more, then go back and look for bubbles again. Let you know how it turns out. Maybe today will be the day I try the gravity method and see if any more bubbles come out after doing the "lone ranger" method.
yup, exactly what i meant.
and the way you did it will work too. if there is only one or two bubbles in there it will have a good pedal.

i actually have a pressure bleeder that i could use, basically it replaces the person stepping on the pedal.
fill the pot, charge it with air, and put it on top of the master cylinder.
it pressurizes the master with 4-5 lbs pressure, and keeps the master full. then you just crack the bleeder and wait till the air stops.

but i am now old and lazy, so i get to take a break waiting for it to gravity bleed.

as long as no one comes by and sees my laying under the truck "doing nothing".

Old 05-26-2014, 11:04 AM
justplumducky
Senior User
but i am now old and lazy, so i get to take a break waiting for it to gravity bleed.

as long as no one comes by and sees my laying under the truck "doing nothing".
I can relate Tom :O) - that's why I didn't do as I said I might - which was to do the gravity method after I finished it up with my lone ranger method/fluid in the jar so no air gets sucked in after releasing pedal. Part of the reason I didn't follow up with the gravity method was that I did what I mentioned last post, which was to pump till I could see no bubbles, the pumped some more and looked again. Was convinced all the air was out, but it did take a lot fluid to do it, cause I pumped a lot to ensure all the air was out. Pedal is really good now.

It's been so long since I've done rear brakes (drums), I've forgotten if I have to bleed after that. If I do, I'll do the gravity method if I don't have a helper. I can see (from yesterday's experience with fluid wanting to come out of the tubing) how it would work well, especially if the vehicle is on a slight incline like mine is.

Thx Tom and thx to alll for jumping in... have a good week!

PS. Tom - I never cease to be amazed at the expert help one can get on the Net, where it comes from, and the response times. Think it's terribly interesting that you are in Pripyat, Ukraine (hope I spelled Pripyat correctly). A native or transplant?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Pripyat is a joke to see if anyone pays attention. most do not. i change location and avatars every now and then just for fun.

on a side note, i was under the 02 diesel this morning checking the rear brakes because they " did not feel rite"
as i expected, both rear calipers are bad.
i am a stickler for safety, and no one touches or goes near a jacked up vehicle until it is on jack stands.
since i was only looking at the brakes, i skipped that little detail today.
i put the passenger tire on and was getting up when the truck slipped off the jack, pinning my foot under the tire.
it only took 2 minutes for my friend that was on duty to get here, he was only 2 blocks away.
but it took him another 5 minutes to get the jack out, and back under the axle to jack it up enough to get my foot out. just as fire and first aid got here.
i am fine except for my hurt pride and one very swollen foot. the hospital people were all amazed nothing is broke.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:08 PM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
Pripyat is a joke to see if anyone pays attention. most do not. i change location and avatars every now and then just for fun.

on a side note, i was under the 02 diesel this morning checking the rear brakes because they " did not feel rite"
as i expected, both rear calipers are bad.
i am a stickler for safety, and no one touches or goes near a jacked up vehicle until it is on jack stands.
since i was only looking at the brakes, i skipped that little detail today.
i put the passenger tire on and was getting up when the truck slipped off the jack, pinning my foot under the tire.
it only took 2 minutes for my friend that was on duty to get here, he was only 2 blocks away.
but it took him another 5 minutes to get the jack out, and back under the axle to jack it up enough to get my foot out. just as fire and first aid got here.
i am fine except for my hurt pride and one very swollen foot. the hospital people were all amazed nothing is broke.
Ok, you got me! Now the planning for REVENGE begins! I was beginning to wonder what you or anyone else, would be doing in what is reputed to be a Ghost Town, because of the Chernobyl incident, but was waiting for your first reply about being a native or transplant. Hmmm...REVENGE...the wheels (in my head that is) begin to turn

Seriously now, Glad you're OK and you're a good man for posting your mishap!

Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
you are only the second person in 6 months to get that.

and the other person was not sure if it was associated with Chernobyl or not.

a little history lesson.
Pripyat was built in 1970 to house the workers at the Chernobyl power plant.
by the time of the accident in 1986, the population had grown to over 46,000.
two days after the meltdown Pripyat was evacuated and has been empty since.
it is a restricted area with almost no entry allowed because it is still highly contaminated.