1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 226 Flathead 6 transmission problem. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 AM
Thbifeb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 226 Flathead 6 transmission problem. Advice?

I have a 1950 Ford F1 with a 226 Flathead 6 in it. To my knowledge it is the original engine. Anyway, I believe I am having major transmission problems, right now it won't even drive even though 3 days ago I drove 40 miles and didn't hear anything or feel anything. The only issue I noticed is my speedometer stopped working. As I am have mentioned in other posts, I am not mechanically gifted like many of you, so I could have other problems that I am unaware of. But I had a few people look at it (one guy is a GM mechanic), and they think the output shaft has let loose. These guys recommended I find a used transmission. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

My truck is not a show truck and won't ever be one, I just want to have a truck to drive around in 20-40 miles a week. I am not worried about having original parts in the truck, I just want safe parts in the truck.

Do I need a new/used transmission? If so, any suggestions on where I could find one and about what I would have to pay?

Let me know.

Thanks so much for any you can give.

Brian

Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I have never heard of an input shaft breaking. I guess it is possible. I'm a bit confused by your post thought. Does your truck:
a) not drive at all because it won't move from engine power
or
b) not drive because you are afraid to drive it

There are two common causes of a speedometer not working. If that is the only thing wrong, I would un-screw the cable from the back of the speedometer, drive slowly, and see if the cable is turning. This cable can break, particularly if it never gets greased. Speedometers can break, usually from hard old lubricant and built up grime.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Start with the basics:
Is the drive shaft (including the u-joints) intact? All the pieces from the tranny the the differential in place?

Are the clutch mechanisms intact? Push the clutch pedal and follow the linkage all the way to the tranny. There should be a transfer of the motion from the pedal to the tranny.

With the engine off, can you move the shift into all the gears?

You don't yet know what the problem is, don't buy any parts until until you do.

DW

Old 04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Thbifeb
Freshman User
Thanks for your posts. Here is some more information that may help.

The truck won't drive at all

The drive shaft and u joints are intact. The yoke is really wobbly, it can move about 1-2 inches so there is a lot of play.

The clutch mechanism is intact.

When the engine is off, you can move the shift in all gears.

Also, when the engine is off it rolls even in gear. Had to put blocks to prevent it from rolling.

When the engine is running and you try to put it in gear it really grinds.

Does that information help?

Any thoughts based on that?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Is there any resistance on the clutch pedal?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Thbifeb

The drive shaft and u joints are intact. The yoke is really wobbly, it can move about 1-2 inches so there is a lot of play.

Any thoughts based on that?
This would, in my opinion, support the output shaft broken diagnosis. I have a complete crash box four speed transmission but shipping would be a killer. I am sure lots of other folks closer will have a transmission.
It would help if you put your location in your information that is visible to forum members.
BTW, it is not difficult to remove the top of the transmission, drain the grease, and visually inspect.
Edit: I re read your post and you mention an F1. You're probably not interested in my transmission.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Assuming this is a 3-sp trans, I agree with the above that the output shaft has snapped. There are a couple of grooves in the shaft right behind the rear bearing and speedo gear where it could snap. I can't think of any reason for it to snap unless the driveshaft is the wrong length, or the front U-joint is seized up.

IF you have a 3-sp Light Duty trans, the replacement part would be 1C-7061-A. I'm sure either Van Pelt's or someone on here has a spare used one.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Thbifeb
Freshman User
It is a 3 speed on the floor.

There is no resistance when you push in the clutch.

I am in Bloomington, IN so if anyone has parts that could help me, let me know.

How much is an output shaft?

Out of curiosity, what would a new transmission cost for this truck?

Thanks for any help people have been able to give.

Brian

Old 04-25-2014, 01:38 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Brian

Check the classifieds on this forum. Cody_1948 and others had the correct tranny available. Cody is near Lansing, MI.

DW

Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Thbifeb
It is a 3 speed on the floor.

There is no resistance when you push in the clutch.

Brian
I think you need to pull the trans and see what the problem is first of all. No resistance on the clutch is entirely separate from a wobbly output shaft.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Mac VP
New User
No clutch pedal resistance suggests damage in the clutch components, which could perhaps mean a disconnect of the engine to trans. However, I wonder about the "wobbly" driveshaft yoke. There should be no up/down movement of the yoke as it fits on the splines of the trans output shaft. I also suspect a broken shaft....BUT that would be pretty rare.

Put your shifter lever in neutral. Then unbolt the shifter housing and lift it straight up. This will allow you yo inspect the upper gears inside. To see any of the lower gears, you will need to drain the oil. Compare the gears to the pics you see (3rd view down) on our website. It may be apparent to see what is happening. Here is that link:

Ford Top Loader Three Speed Transmission Gears

We have repair parts and we also rebuild them.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
It sounds to me like you have clutch troubles and transmission troubles. If you clutch is working the gears won't grind like that even if your transmission has broken parts.

Drain then pull the transmission. Mark the position of the pressure plate on the flywheel (in case they are balanced together) then pull the clutch parts. Take the top off the transmission. Then post pictures of everything and we can advise you further.