1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

HOWTO - Add LED Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Ive done LED conversions but wanted to ask if anyone ever swaped out a 90 series bulb for a LED version which is a 1142 bulb also known as a BA15D socket. I cant do a ebay search for just BA15D as I get dual filament 1157 bulbs not a single filament style 1142 bulb. Anyone have any luck with finding theses? I found one at www.superbrightleds.com but I haven't purchased from them and I tend to go towards ebay as I can some times luck out and get a bulk pack.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the 67-x15 from SuperBrightLeds (probably the same one you found) in amber for my cab clearance lights. They work well and I have the peace of mind knowing I'm not going to have to go up there and change them anytime soon, that's a pain.

I also tried a BA15S-9SMD-WM from Hi-Po Parts for the courtesy lights under the dash. At the time I bought them years ago, they only had cool white, and I don't really like it, it's almost blue it's so harsh. They now have a warm white version (on that same page). Downside, these cost $8 apiece which is crazy, but they are very bright.

I'm sure you can find some on eBay. Instead of searching for BA15D (the "D" is for dual), do a search for BA15S ("S" for single filament). Also, it's 1156 for the single, not 1142.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Really? I thought the D was for dual contact and S for single contact. I will try that. I purchased the following last night with two NOS inside door handles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-Super-White-BA15D-27-SMD-5050-LED-Light-bulbs-Marine-Boat-1142-1178-1130-/201137947927?hash=item2ed4c18517&vxp=mtr

I am afraid they are going to be too tall for my application but for a under hood troubleshooting light I want as bright as possible that will fit.

THe one I found that would work that I found on superbrightleds is 1142-x12-G but its only rated at 68 lumens which I am afraid would be just as dim as the 90 series bulb.

But I will try doing a search for BA15S and see what I can find. It just hard as this is an oddball bulb cause it has dual terminals at the base with straight inline pins and one terminal is + and the other is -. Most of what I find under BA15D is 1157 type bulbs that the two terminals are + with the side being -.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
It just hard as this is an oddball bulb cause it has dual terminals at the base with straight inline pins and one terminal is + and the other is -
Ok then, I am not familiar with that kind of bulb. The BA15S has a single terminal on the bottom (+) and the side of the can is the actual negative. I thought that's what you were talking about, and that is an 1156.

But I Googled 1142 and I see what you mean about double contacts on the bottom even though the bulb is single intensity. I don't think I've ever used such a bulb before, and I didn't know the 80-86 trucks had one anywhere. Sorry for leading you astray.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have read about the bulb swaps and done a few of my own on previous vehicles. i'm building a stakeside flatbed for my 85 f150. i will be installing some 6.5" LED oval brake/turn lights w/ 3 wire hookup as well as same sized LED reverse lights. i havent purchased the lights yet as i havent finished the fabrication work. once i do, will i need resistors to complete the install? i still have stock park/turn lights up front. just curious if i'll be able to wire in the lights without the hassle of the load resistors and extra wiring. anyone know by chance or have suggestions?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:29 AM
FilmCarp
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
i have read about the bulb swaps and done a few of my own on previous vehicles. i'm building a stakeside flatbed for my 85 f150. i will be installing some 6.5" LED oval brake/turn lights w/ 3 wire hookup as well as same sized LED reverse lights. i havent purchased the lights yet as i havent finished the fabrication work. once i do, will i need resistors to complete the install? i still have stock park/turn lights up front. just curious if i'll be able to wire in the lights without the hassle of the load resistors and extra wiring. anyone know by chance or have suggestions?
If you replace the flashers with the electronic ones you will be fine. The electronic flashers will operate both the led lights and the standard front flashers without a problem.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:29 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thank you kindly sir. i'm going to order lights and flashers today. gotta cut out some tabs on the plasma table for fuel filler necks as well. its slow going but i'll get it all buttoned up. appreciate the fast response. happy motoring!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the upholstery custom work? It looks kickass. Hows the LMC stuff holding up so far?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Luke76
Elder User
Thanks, yes the upholstery is custom. I'm not sure which LMC item you're referring to specifically, but everything is holding up fine.

But the truck has a dedicated thread and it would be better to pose questions over there, and keep this one just to LED lights.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I was thinking about putting some LED's in for my back up lights. Any issues with just doing that? I'm pretty happy with the tail and turn signal lights. I do wish the back up lights were brighter though.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:15 AM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I was thinking about putting some LED's in for my back up lights. Any issues with just doing that? I'm pretty happy with the tail and turn signal lights. I do wish the back up lights were brighter though.
That shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that will do is lighten the load on your wiring going back to them. Good luck!

Offio

Old 11-15-2015, 01:45 AM
4x4falcon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Luke76
Map Lights

Someone asked me about the map lights. These are the two bug-eyed holes in the dome light assembly. Here is what I said:

Yes, you could use an LED bulb for the map lights, and I tried, but I never found one that improved on the incandescent.

Strangely SuperBrightLeds doesn't really have any good ones that would fit, you can browse their BA15S 1156s here and see for yourself.

I did try this guy from Hipo Parts Garage (the same place that sells the convenient Ford parts CD): BA15S Base 9 SMD Courtesy Light Bulb.

But comparing it to a regular incandescent, the incandescent seemed brighter. Not bright mind you, just brighter. The map lights are kind of a poor design no matter what.

The problem with the map lights is that A) there isn't a lot of room in there and the really bright LED bulbs are oversize, and B) light only comes out a single, small hole where the lens is, and many LED bulbs (like the Hipo one above) are not very good at putting out uni-directional light. The Hipo bulb only had one or two LEDs that were actually facing the lens hole once you got the thing in there, and most of the rest of the LEDs were wasted shining in other directions.

So long story short - I'm keeping the incandescents in the map lights. They are kind of a pain to change, but hopefully they won't burn out very often since they won't get used very often.

But, if anyone finds a good upgrade bulb for the maplights, please post it here! We'd all be interested to know. The more light the better.

I replaced the lens completely with these:

Black Mini Roof Ceiling Lights

Very bright, gives excellent light to the side of the cab selected. Does require some wiring into the existing light fitting.

Lights up the inside of the center console as well.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:15 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Interesting! Did you just take the original lense out and these popped in? Or, did you have to enlarge the hole?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:27 AM
4x4falcon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Interesting! Did you just take the original lense out and these popped in? Or, did you have to enlarge the hole?

Just took the original lens out and they fit.

I'll get some photos tomorrow 11pm here now, would be good for showing how well they light up but not how they fit.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:20 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Cool! Yes, pics of both how they work as well as how the fit would be excellent! Thanks.

Quick Reply: HOWTO - Add LED Lights