6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Cleaning an oil cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 AM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning an oil cooler.

Here's the deal. I'm getting ready to replace a few things on my 6.0, one of which is the oil cooler. The one that is on there now is not blown, however, I'm not going to wait for that to happen, so while I've got my Turbo off, the new cooler will be installed as well as the EGR delete. I would like to know if the old one can be cleaned up to be in like New condition. I want to keep it as a spare in case I have a failure down the road, I wont have to pony up the extra money to buy one. Any thoughts on the best way to effectively clean it if its worth it? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by diggintrenches
Here's the deal. I'm getting ready to replace a few things on my 6.0, one of which is the oil cooler. The one that is on there now is not blown, however, I'm not going to wait for that to happen, so while I've got my TiVo off, the new cooler will be installed as well as the get delete. I would like to know if the old one can be cleaned up to be in like New condition. I want to keep it as a spare in case I have a failure down the road, I wont have to pony up the extra money to buy one. Any thoughts on the best way to effectively clean it if its worth it? Thanks.
There's no way to effectively clean it.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 AM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
There's no way to effectively clean it.
Well, I was hoping to have a nice clean factory spare in the event of a failure later. Not this time I guess. At least I will be back on the road with a brand new cooler, STC fitting upgrade, and no EGR worries, as well as a new turbo, coolant, oil, and all filters at the same time. Anything else I should check/replace while I'm in that far?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by diggintrenches
Well, I was hoping to have a nice clean factory spare in the event of a failure later. Not this time I guess. At least I will be back on the road with a brand new cooler, STC fitting upgrade, and no EGR worries, as well as a new turbo, coolant, oil, and all filters at the same time. Anything else I should check/replace while I'm in that far?
The 6.0 L oil cooler is a joke compared to the OEM external oil cooler I had on my '95 6.5L TD Chevy Suburban. Having said that, the oil cooler does not fail. It becomes clogged with engine block casting sand causing the EGR cooler to fail. That is the reason both are replaced at the same time.

I filled my old cooler with a straight radiator flush and let it set for a day. Then ran water through it both ways. The water flow was the same in both directions so I kept it. Probably will never use it but it looks pretty.

Ed

Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DSMMH
The 6.0 L oil cooler is a joke compared to the OEM external oil cooler I had on my '95 6.5L TD Chevy Suburban. Having said that, the oil cooler does not fail. It becomes clogged with engine block casting sand causing the EGR cooler to fail. That is the reason both are replaced at the same time.

I filled my old cooler with a straight radiator flush and let it set for a day. Then ran water through it both ways. The water flow was the same in both directions so I kept it. Probably will never use it but it looks pretty.

Ed
The oil cooler does not fail?? Could swore I changed one not to long ago that blew and got oil all in the coolant.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
diggintrenches
Senior User
My truck has 152k on it now, so I'm guessing that when I pull the current oil cooler out, it will bring a bunch of crap with it that I wont ever have to worry about again. By replacing it now, that just gives me a piece of mind knowing that i shouldn't have to worry about it again for a good long while. If I wait till something catastrophic happens to it, then it could end up costing me more. Especially if I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.