Sponsored by: Moser

78 Ford f250 restoration questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 AM
honda_guy4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78 Ford f250 restoration questions

I purchased a 1978 F250 this fall, that was partially restored 6-7 years ago.

The paint job looks ok from a distance, but was done cheaply (taped over all weatherstripping, etc.) and painted over rather than removing. And even at that, didnt do a very good job taping/trimming, and ended up painting over parts of things that shouldn't be. They painted the dash inside, but not the cab from the inside, so the original color is still there in spots. The hood and top of the cab are faded/oxidized badly and need to be repainted at the very least.

Would you waste the money to repaint the roof/hood for now, or just go for a new paint job all together? For those of you who have done full fledge paint jobs recently what's the cost i should expect?

Then that get's into another question, it's got a 400 motor (stock i beleive), that runs pretty good once warmed up, but it is a VERY cold blooded. I have plans to eventually swap that out for something else. I keep going back and forth in my head, part of me wants to drop either a 7.3l powerstroke or a 5.9 cummins in it, but then the other part of me says drop in a crate 460 or something to that effect?

Which part makes more sense to do first from a restoration standpoint? I would be fine with the current motor/powertrain for now, but does it make sense to do that first or the body work? When the truck is painted i want the engine bay & everything painted, as the engine bay is still the original color, even though it has been repainted once.

I don't have any pic's of the truck right now, but will post some soon.

I am new to the restoration process, and appreciate any help/suggestions you guys may be able to offer to help the process along. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
1st go here, reply # 8 and get your parts suppler's in order...https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mpilation.html

And here for sure https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...p-by-step.html

If it runs ok, just cold blooded, maybe it just needs a elec choke fixed? And just stick with that motor unless you have money to burn. Add an alum intake and decent 4 bbl will help. It is ain't broke don't go fixin it.

Is it YOU or your buddies that think Power Stroke or Cummings swap is cool? Your truck, money and decision. Diesel swap ='s $$$$ and more truck down time, but it you just have to do a 460 swap, its quick, easy and maybe not so much $$. There are companies that sell a complete swap kit. L&L

Restro route IMO motor/motor compartment 1st, have completed motor and swap in kit on hand, pull old one redo the eng compartment & put in new motor. Done. That way during all that motor swapping/interior re work/paint you are not worrying about the outside paint.

Save it and the exterior body work and a COMPLETE paint job for last. Also the route depends on if you can have the cash and truck down time that it is going to take.

Paint cost is based off of quality of paint and capabilities of painter.....and how much body work is needed.

Remember you should get what you pay for, but it does not always end up like that. A guy can get the screws put to you easy in the painting dept. Shop carefully.

But there are a lot of ways to go about this,I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Xauterus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also once you start repainting, you are up for a a rubber kit etc to put it back together so the costs really add up. Do the motor so then if you enjoy driving the truck then you will be motivated to do the paint work later.