Sponsored by: Moser

Converting F250 2wd to front steer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Xauterus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting F250 2wd to front steer

After reading some articles about Cummins swaps into 2wd trucks, I saw mention of converting to front steer.
I have a 78 F250 with the 1" kingpins. What parts do I need to to make this front steer? Are the knuckles used off E series vans?
Has anyone done this conversion or have and pictures? I would like to fit power steering and it will be much easier for me to find a power steering box to suit (right hand drive)

Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E series van spindles of the same era are kingpin and yes, they are front steer. An E-350 will be 1" kingpin for sure and I think the higher GWV 250's got the 1" kingpins as well (same way the trucks work really).

I've also heard of guys swapping the stock, trucks spindles side to side and flipping them upside down to make them front steer. This puts the caliper in front of the wheel (not a big deal), and most likely screws with the akerman built into the stock steering geometry (could be a deal breaker to some).

A custom steering box mount would be in order. I'd look at boxing the frame possibly & throwing a saginaw box at it.
Opposite side of the frame for what you want, but here's how I did mine. Not sure if these boxes are as common in OZ as they are here, but this box could be mounted on the inboard side of the frame on the opposite frame rail.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 AM
Xauterus
Senior User
That looks great. Is the saginaw a chevy or dodge steering box?

Very neat job with your intsall.

Is this one below the correct series to get?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chevrolet...4e1a6eb&_uhb=1

Or would this Suburban one be adapatable? Better since its in Australia and new.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-SU...61149873272%26

Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Xauterus
Senior User
I took a punt and ordered the Suburban one. It was the last one. Surplus stock from Holden.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I know I'm a little late in reply since you've already punted, but here's some info.

My box was a dodge box - off a 2wd. It came out of the original donor I had for my cummins motor.

I'm not sure if any of the following will transfer to what is available on the underside of the earth, but here's some quick info about the boxes here in the states.

1) The Dodge and Chevy TRUCK boxes are the same aside from ratio from what I've read. It's been a long while but I THINK Dodge was 12:1 and Chevy 15:1.

2) The 2wd vs. 4wd boxes turn the opposite way from each other. This was due to how the steering was set up in their stock configuration as some boxes seemed to be in front of the tie rod, and some behind.
Look at the way the box turns and think about which way your pitman arm will be pointing and connecting to your tie rod when you gather parts.

*For you, since you've already ordered the suburban box, I'd say turn the thing when you get it and look at which way the pitman arm would turn & see if this would work for your setup.

3) There are also a LOT of large sized cars that use saginaw boxes very similar to these. Many (most, if not all?) have the mounting surface on the opposite side of the box I pictured above though. These may not help you, but for someone in the states doing this swap these boxes may be very good to look into.
3a) There are 3 bolt and 4 bolt mounting configurations for the above mentioned car boxes. 4 bolts are stronger, but harder to find and therefore typically fetch more $ when purchasing them.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For a 2wd, wont you want the box on the INSIDE of the frame? Similar to the 80-up steering?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:13 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Yup - which is why the box I have should work for him = right hand drive.

Clicked on the link for that suburban box after I made the last post & it looks like it would bold on the outside of the right had frame rail. This may work, but you may also run into some fitment issues. Drop pitman arm may be needed to make the thing clear the frame. Without seeing pics of anything though this is all purely speculation.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
1) The Dodge and Chevy TRUCK boxes are the same aside from ratio from what I've read. It's been a long while but I THINK Dodge was 12:1 and Chevy 15:1.
The other difference is the Chevy input spline is .800" 36 spline, and the Ford is 7.24" 36 spline. When you have to spend a couple hundred on a steering shaft with two different ends it makes a difference. The dodge 2wd box has the same input spine as a Ford.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I was making my own shaft & ordered the u-joints after getting the box, so that part wouldn't have killed me, but it's good to know anyway.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Xauterus
Senior User
I assumed that the steering box would be mounted outside since it was opposite to Chase's truck. I will have to wait until I get the suburban box and see how it will fit up on the outside of the frame.

If not I will have to look into a steering box that will fit inside frame. That means using the same steering box as Chase? Can you tell me what year Dodge's I can choose from?

I will have to find a Dodge importer here to see if they have any in stock.

So far with my searches of Dodge Ram steering boxes they mount the same side as the suburban one. Am I looking for a 2wd Dodge one?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Xauterus
I assumed that the steering box would be mounted outside since it was opposite to Chase's truck. I will have to wait until I get the suburban box and see how it will fit up on the outside of the frame.

If not I will have to look into a steering box that will fit inside frame. That means using the same steering box as Chase? Can you tell me what year Dodge's I can choose from?

I will have to find a Dodge importer here to see if they have any in stock.
Chasetruck and I are using a box out of a 89-93 Dodge D250 2wd with a cummins.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Xauterus
Senior User
Originally Posted by co425
Chasetruck and I are using a box out of a 89-93 Dodge D250 2wd with a cummins.
Wow I am really stupid! I thought no drama I can mount a steering box to the outside of frame rail. Big problem is that the 2wd has a spring tower in the way! I will be able to use steering box on the highboy truck.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Steering box might be in front of the coil bucket, but if you can use the suburban box on another truck I'd look for one of the dodge boxes like ours. As he said - we're using the box off a 2wd truck. You might find someone parting out a truck in the US that is willing to ship. Might be cheaper to get a box here & have it rebuilt there than trying to find a new-ish one over there.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 AM
Xauterus
Senior User
Yeah I was thinking that. Possibly even worth paying redhead boxes the core charge and get them to send me a rebuilt one?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Yup - which is why the box I have should work for him = right hand drive.

Clicked on the link for that suburban box after I made the last post & it looks like it would bold on the outside of the right had frame rail. This may work, but you may also run into some fitment issues. Drop pitman arm may be needed to make the thing clear the frame. Without seeing pics of anything though this is all purely speculation.
I forgot he is down under! My bad, you are right.

Quick Reply: Converting F250 2wd to front steer