1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rough estimates on a complete paint job

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 08:28 PM
youdog99
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all,

Have a '59 stepside that I "was" going to paint in a 2-tone but just found out that 2-tones probably weren't an option on stepsides. So my question changes to rough estimates and expectations on completely repainting this truck.

I want to paint the motor box, interior, between the cab and the bed, as well as the exterior. I'll pull the motor and strip the interior. There is a very small spot of rust in one of the running boards and one at the base of the bed. I want the painter to do the sanding, lead those two rust spots and take out a half dozen dings.

Any ball park estimates on a paint job?

Any recommendations on a paint brand?

Suggestions for picking a good painter? It seems that most guys are only doing Insurance body work in my area.

Tanks,

Greg
'53 M38a1
'59 F100
'96 XLT (Parts hauler/Emergency tow vehicle)

Old 03-15-2002, 09:34 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Greg

It is impossible to answer your question with any precision but I'll give it a shot. Painting it is the easy part. The preparation before painting is the real expense. You can take it to a chain store painter like Maaco or "The Earl" and get a sub $500 job. It will look like it too if you don't prep it before you take it there. Your paint is probably 40+ year old lacquer and needs stripped for a high quality job. They are difficult to paint without some disassembly of fenders, hood etc. You would be fortunate to find someone to do a quality job that will last for under $2000. I spent way over $500 on the materials alone for the 53 in my gallery and website. I did not use high end paint either. I easily spent 6 months prepping the body before I sprayed and buffed it. As far as what brand paint, use something your painter is experienced and comfortable with. Modern paint systems are extremely complex.

Dewayne
53 F100

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfenders/index.html

Old 03-16-2002, 10:08 AM
51frrdtrk
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Mar-02 AT 11:10 AM (EST)]I had my 68 corvette painted a year ago. First i had all three coats that were on the car removed by bead blasting, the cost for this was $800. The body was stripped down to the gel coat. I then spent three months prepping the body. I took the car to a professional painter for the painting. The cost here was $3000.00. He painted only the exterior of the body and the enging compartment.

Old 03-17-2002, 08:00 PM
youdog99
Senior User

Hi DeWayne,

I took a look at your link. I may be switching to Red. Wow - your truck looks GREAT!! That is a sweet looking truck!!

Greg

Old 03-17-2002, 10:57 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Greg

Thanks for the kind words. Red is a "safe" color. I really like black too but would have had to block sand for another year. Your original color choice would be more forgiving (white/turquise). I'm sure you are aware the lighter colors make any surface imperfections much less noticeable. I would have stopped sanding months earlier if my truck was white or yellow. Your painter will be able to advise you on what colors you can get away with for the budgeted price.

Dewayne
53 F100

Old 03-18-2002, 07:03 AM
markd
Junior User