Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM
total_telecom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Tim
WE are
That is .........what is good about debate, respecting each view but tearing the crap out of it with logic and good understanding of engineering.
And we as consumers should demand that....however I think it has fallen on deaf ears because all the manufactures give so many new ...cool things ...that we want to change to the next model...long before we give the platform a chance to wear out...IMO

Tough to demand when the the stock holders that drive the same cars we are debating .....and they want the bottom line to keep going up. profit profit profit
I agree, I wish more of the major automakers would listen to these things falling on deaf ears . Wouldn't it be nice to spend that kind of money on a vehicle and really be happy and secure in the vehicle for a long period of time? And not worry about what address of the vehicle is going to take your next grand to fix?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Austin J.
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Durability wise, vehicles have only improved as a whole. My grandfather would never ever buy a vehicle with a lot of miles. In the 70's and such as soon as a vehicle was nearing 70,000 miles it was time to trade it in. He wasn't anywhere near rich either. He worked for Westinghouse in a factory and as a farmer. He knew that as he was growing up, a vehicle with that many miles was on its last leg. Now, vehicles are barely broke in at 100,000 miles. Also, I know a lot of guys on here want to disagree with this, but electronics of the modern age are much more reliable while being more efficient as a whole than any mechanical system.

When it comes to dealers not holding up their end, they have always behaved the exact same way as now. There have always been just as many problems with new vehicles. The only thing now is we have the internet to let everyone tell everybody about it. You can learn from any statistics class that the people that share their opinions the most are the ones with negative opinions. All the great experiences aren't shared generally.

And when it comes to smaller engine's reliability:
In the 90's the amount of power we can get out of a 3.5L engine now was unimaginable, why couldn't the reliability be increased like the power?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:50 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
I suggest the op watch the "torture test" videos before bringing up reliability

Old 01-18-2014, 05:01 PM
220KF250
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey 2-stroke --- thanks for your mod list! I just went to Recon and ordered some lights for my rig!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:25 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 220KF250
Hey 2-stroke --- thanks for your mod list! I just went to Recon and ordered some lights for my rig!

haha, right on

Old 01-18-2014, 06:17 PM
redford
Received 1,549 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by total_telecom
I agree, I wish more of the major automakers would listen to these things falling on deaf ears . Wouldn't it be nice to spend that kind of money on a vehicle and really be happy and secure in the vehicle for a long period of time? And not worry about what address of the vehicle is going to take your next grand to fix?
So, speak with your dollars. Don't buy it.

Personally, I've been very pleased with the Ford trucks I have been driving for the past 20 years or so. No major issues, no huge repair bills, reliable and comfortable.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by total_telecom
There will be some serious shakeups in the truck market in the next few years especially with prices skyrocketing. Someone will step to the plate and give people their money's worth, it will not be Ford Motor Company. All they care about are sales and profits . They have not stood behind any of the vehicles that I had problems with in the past . None. And the service advisors try to sell you repairs you don't need.
Ford isnt the only Co. my friend....take off the ford hate goggles.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Wow 4 pages later and this guy still hasn't listed any of his sources of information that he spouted off in his first thread. Nor has he said what he classifies as a "good real truck". My brothers tow company that he works for had 2 Ram 5500 tow trucks. 1 is a conventional wrecker with the cummins diesel. That's a 2010 I believe. The other is a 2011 5500 roll back cummins diesel. Both trucks have had mechanical issues that the dealer said wasn't covered under warranty because they were commercial trucks. The 2010 blew an engine at 20,000 miles. That was 18,000 out of the companies owners wallet for that repair. The 2011 had multiple problems with the def system and not allowing that truck to run properly. Every time it went to the dealer the owner had to eat those repair bills as well. The driver seats in both have been replace several times in each truck as well. Each time you guessed it, at the owners expense. As a matter of fact the only issue that I know of that the owner didn't eat the cost of was the known Tie rod end recall issue. And yet that was for the first replacement on each truck. The rest have been at the owners expense. Yeah the reissued part didn't solve the problem. I could keep going, but I think I made my point.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
As far as service advisor selling you unneeded repairs. That's a dealership problem. Not a manufacturer problem. I guarantee you this. No matter what make the vehicle you have is if they find that you have done major modifications to the vehicle in question and have an issue with that vehicle you will find that they will void your warranty on that vehicle. And they will be well within their right to do so. And if they find that you have competitions with your truck such as sled pulls. And you break something they will void your warranty. As they will classify that as abuse of the vehicle. Any time you require you truck to exceed it manufacturers weight ratings of any kind you void your warranty. Most people don't know this, but if you have a wreck in your new car or truck. And it is not repaired by a manufacturer authorized shop your vehicles warranty can be voided. I have seen it happen. Luxury import car makers are famous for this.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Speaking of quality issues; GM has just recalled 303,000 2014 1500 series trucks for possible engine fire issues.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Yeah that's one of four recalls for those vehicle. But to be fair Ford has had 11 recalls for the 13 to current Escapes for engine fires and other issue.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 PM
webender
New User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Is that the end of the story for sure? Are the ecoboost problems so wide spread that they aren't selling now?
While some drivers will hold on for 10 years or so, the Vast majority are 4-6 years and then on to the next truck. The motors might not last, only time will tell for sure, but most drivers simply will not care. They don't plan on holding onto the truck long enough to find out.

The only way this will impact them is if it starts to hurt trade in value. and it will be years before that happens.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
According to statistics the average age of the vehicles on the road today is 12 years and climbing. Manufacturers Ford included know this and are looking to capitalize on this. However with that said they are building them to last longer then ever before. All the while building them to be tasked harsher then ever as well. The o.p. can say whatever he wants. But the fact is the stats are what they are and they don't lie.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by paredneck33
According to statistics the average age of the vehicles on the road today is 12 years and climbing. Manufacturers Ford included know this and are looking to capitalize on this. However with that said they are building them to last longer then ever before. All the while building them to be tasked harsher then ever as well. The o.p. can say whatever he wants. But the fact is the stats are what they are and they don't lie.
Plus you have the core group that buys a vehicle when it hits 100K miles after it's 4-6 years old when many others consider it used up and they still get another 100K+ miles out of it. I agree, vehicles are built better than ever, lubricants are better than ever and seals and gaskets are better. IMHO, the downfall is the electronics. That's where the major repairs will happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: projected problems with 2015 Fseries