Sponsored by: DP Tuner

power mirror question/electrical question

Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
redpigi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power mirror question/electrical question

1999 Super Duty F 250.

This truck has power side mirrors of which the right side no longer responds to the cabin switch located on drivers door armrest.

Before I start taking things apart, is this likely the switch or the mirror assembly itself? No noise such as stripping gears heard in mirror.

How do you get the switch out of the armrest without damaging things?

Another question, the right rear door (crew cab) doesn't lock with the rest automatically. Is this a bad solenoid ? switch inside the door? What is the likely cause of this?

People have been pretty helpful here. Thanks.:-

Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the FTE!! You are in good hands my friend!

Start by doing a search for door locks and you'll probably find the solution you need to fix your rear door lock.

Also, hopefully someone will come along to suggest a diagnoses for your rh mirror.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

I don't know whether it would more likely be your switch or mirror. However you could take your switch out and clean all the contacts with electrical cleaner. You might be able to take the switch apart and clean inside as well, but I am not certain.

As far as getting to the switch, simply pry up at the front of the little panel that all your switches reside in on your door and it should just pop out, then slide forward and you should be able to access all the harness clips to release the switches from the harness so you can clean them. Also you can dig into the doors to check all connections. If the cleaning does not fix it, then you could try using a multimeter to check the voltage outputs of the terminals on the switch when supplied with power. (Hopefully that part makes sense, having a hard time making that easy to read) Or you could replace the switch with new if you don't feel like trying to measure outputs. If the switch doesn't fix it, and you have checked all connections, then it would be a bad mirror motor I would think.

Does the door lock with the switch, or is it a completely manual lock now? If it doesnt lock with the switch, but looks like it is making an attempt, you could try fixing the actuator, by replacing the thermistor that usually goes bad. If it does nothing with the switch, check all your connections, and clean, if that doesnt do it, it may be time for a new actuator.
Here is a link to the actuator fix. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-pictures.html

However, if it does lock with the switch but not automatically, then it would seem that whatever controls the autolocks is not getting a good connection with that particular actuator. I can't help here much though, I don't have auto locks and know nothing about how they work on these trucks, hopefully someone else can chime in soon!

Hope this helps!

Baatzy