6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Would this truck be worth it

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would this truck be worth it

Hey all, found a 04 6.0 F-350 4x4 at a place about 5 min from my house. It was on consignment for an auction and didn't sell. Truck is real clean, has 197K, interior is clean, talked to the guy (lives about an hr and a half away from the truck), and he said it had an engine replacement about 30K ago or so. He also said it was updated, didn't really say what was updated. Its not rusty, tires are shot, tried to start it and it wouldn't cause the batts were low, it did turn over though, he is asking 9500 for it. Thought that sounded pretty reasonable. Don't have much history, didn't look at it too close. anything I should be looking for that would be a definate red flag? Don't know a whole lot about the 6.0, I know they can be a great motor if well maintained and the right stuff is done to them. I have a 97 7.3 but its a rust free southern truck, and I would like to keep it off the road if at all possible. The ranger in my sig is killing me on fuel, looking for somthing a little nicer. Just thought it sounded like a good deal, if not I will pry just keep my current set up. I'd have to sell some vehicles and other stuff first to make it work. anyways. Curious to know what you all think. Thanks! If I get a chance I'll throw up some pics.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 PM
dirtleg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess I'll start. It may be a great deal. But you need to read up on one of the methods for verifying certain parameters before plopping down any cash on it. Specifically The Torque app, Scangauge II or Dashboss app.
Have one of the aforementioned scanners that is setup and tested with you and get the readings for;
FICM Main power. During startup and running never lower than about 47 volts.
ICP voltage. Don't remember the exact spec here. Someone will chime in with this.
Make a note of the ECT and EOT on a completely cold engine.
IPR % at idle. Right around 23%
HPOP psi at idle. 04' should be just over 600
Get it warmed up, out on the road and drive it a minimun of 15 miles at 65 mph preferably on as flat a road as you can find. I reiterate, get it warmed up first. During that drive monitor the difference between the ECT and EOT. If it is greater than 12-15 difference between the temps, with the oil being higher, then the truck needs an oil cooler. Or will soon so deduct for it.
Also after getting it thoroughly warmed up shut it down. Wait 30-45 minutes and restart it. If it doesn't start well you will be looking at hpop system repairs.

There's more. Much more but my 7year old needs my arrention right now.

The key to successful ownership is being educated. The start of that is knowing if what you're buying has hidden problems. And if it does can you work out a deal where you can get the truck for what it's really worth and then have the money to address those issues right now.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See if the seller would get the batteries replaced to make it run.
As dirtleg suggested, get a gauge for monitoring the motor.

In a great world the readings you would see

FICM never below 45v
IPR 21.4% at warm idle
ICP 580-590 at warm idle

And taking it for a steady drive at 65mph, the coolant and oil temp not more then 15 degree difference with the coolant temp being 190* give or take a couple degrees.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:48 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
This is great info guys. Thanks for the quick responses. I already tried knocking him down because of the tires. But so far 500 is all I have been able to knock off. I'm not sure how motivated he is to sell. Haven't even seen the actual guy. Just talked on the phone and to the people that run the place.

Another question. I do work at a shop and have access to a snap on modis scanner. Would that work to monitor the parameters that you are speaking of?

Like I said a lot would have to happen for me to get the truck, but I figured of it was a good enough deal I might try and pounce on it. I don't know it almost sounds to good to be true. And you know what they say about that.

Thanks again guys and I do know that education is key when dealing with these motors.

My buddy just picked up an 06 350 with the 6.0 for 23k and it's only got 47k on it. All original. Bone stock. I think that's pricey. But it was his money not mine. And that was the first time I laid eyes on a 6.0.

Anyways thanks again guys. I'll let you know if I find out any more.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you blue booked it out yet?

I wouldn't say your buddy overpaid. I would think he got a great deal. My 05 private party suggested sale price is north of 24k. And I wouldn't even let it go for that. To be honest, I wouldn't even sell it for the blue book retail price.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
It just sounds like a lot to me. Especially when I'm looking at one that's only two years older and it's less than half the price. Granted other factors involved. Don't get me wrong it's a sweet truck. Lariat package, fully loaded. More options than the one I'm looking at. Like I said I don't know a whole lot about the sd's and I'm more in the land of the 7.3s.

I have been reading some and trying to educate myself. I know that's the best thing. I just really wish I could have heard it. Maybe I'll go back out there on Monday and see if I can jump it and at least listen to the thing.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madMatador78
I'd have to sell some vehicles and other stuff first to make it work. anyways. Curious to know what you all think. Thanks! If I get a chance I'll throw up some pics.
that's a lot of miles.

take whatever number he's asking, and add $5,000 to it.
is it a good deal now? i suspect not.

a good rule of thumb with a 6.0, ANY 6.0 you are thinking of
buying, is to add $5k to the price, to cover any unpleasant
surprises.

it had an engine put in 30k ago? so? the guy doesn't really know
what was done to it to make it better? assume nothing.

my 06 van with everything on it, at 125k miles blue books
at $12,500. and it has a bucketload of extras, including $10k
in engine rebuild, 30k miles ago.... and a $7k stereo.....

i would call the truck pricing high.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
ID say you better Get a Gauge and check it out

Some these Trucks Need a lot work some Need Very Little

Beat him up on price to about 7K and its a Great deal

Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Yeah I tried knocking him down and he wasn't having it. I think I'll just let this one go for now. I already have a truck, not like I need another one. Thanks guys.