Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bronco exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I run flowmaster super 40 series. I removed 1 cat (out of 2) and dumped it before the axle. My mechanic said as long as I still have 1 cat on it, it is fine. (In Massachusetts, which I'm also exempt from emissions since the vehicle is 15+ years old). But good luck in Cali. Personally I wouldn't go with no more that 3" after the muffler. I know atleast on the stock I believe up to the muffler its about 3" - 3.50"? Correct me if I'm wrong. But once it hits that muffler after that it would cut down to 2.5"

It wouldn't hurt to do exhaust, open it up, and also a cold air intake. Basically open up both ends.

This ones newer. Same exhaust

This ones older. (Before lift and tires)

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Edds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bra$$monkey

Good to know. Still, traditional power adds are not as effective as you would expect.

Ford wants it's engine to outlast the warranty period and get decent gas mileage. So the tune is mild. It doesn't let the engine go all out. While exhaust & intake mods may make a small difference it will be less of a difference than you would find on a carburated engine because the tune is trying to keep everything low key.

If you are looking for power you are better served by spending your cash on a new chip, or a retune.

If you are going for sound go with exhaust.

If you want both get out the credit cards & do both.

*point to remember* tune the computer after you do your other upgrades as each upgrade will allow you to tune more power.
Okay nice. i have a lot to learn about my bronco before I put in upgrades and do tune ups. Thanks for the info ill see what ill do with the exhaust system. Ill let you guys know when I have it done, hopefully by June or earlier since I have to replace some things that get worn out by time.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
I run flowmaster super 40 series. I removed 1 cat (out of 2) and dumped it before the axle. My mechanic said as long as I still have 1 cat on it, it is fine. (In Massachusetts, which I'm also exempt from emissions since the vehicle is 15+ years old). But good luck in Cali. Personally I wouldn't go with no more that 3" after the muffler. I know atleast on the stock I believe up to the muffler its about 3" - 3.50"? Correct me if I'm wrong. But once it hits that muffler after that it would cut down to 2.5"

It wouldn't hurt to do exhaust, open it up, and also a cold air intake. Basically open up both ends.

This ones newer. Same exhaust
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltGu4dPo99E

This ones older. (Before lift and tires)
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXp91qLXHwc
I've seen that video before haha. My bronco has a K&N Cold Air intake but it's really dirty so I'm going to get that cleaned out and it has I believe a Flowmaster super 40, but it doesn't sound that aggressive. Maybe because I need to do some part replacing since the previous owner had it there sitting for a whole year and took it 4 wheeling, but he never cleaned it after so it had lots of dirt on the engine and lots of rust on the bottom. So I'm thinking if putting a super 10 to make it sound more aggressive.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Yeah I posted it here a few times lol. Yeah I had the flowmasters on mine originally with the full exhaust system and I was disappointed so I took the sawzall out and took a cat out lol

Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Edds
Senior User
Yeah I posted it here a few times lol. Yeah I had the flowmasters on mine originally with the full exhaust system and I was disappointed so I took the sawzall out and took a cat out lol
Sawzall? Yeah I'm not sure if taking out a cat would be good here in Cali, but ill ask the day I go to mechanic.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
In CA you have to have both cats or you will fail the visual inspection on a smog check. Last month I replaced my muffler with a 1 in 2 out flow master and dumped the exhaust at the tires. Sounds great and gave me a 1 mpg boost

Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer
In CA you have to have both cats or you will fail the visual inspection on a smog check. Last month I replaced my muffler with a 1 in 2 out flow master and dumped the exhaust at the tires. Sounds great and gave me a 1 mpg boost
Yeah I thought so because Cali is really strict on their smog checks. What muffler series did you put on it?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Edds
Sawzall? Yeah I'm not sure if taking out a cat would be good here in Cali, but ill ask the day I go to mechanic.
Yes a sawzall lol. Yeah that wouldn't work out to we'll in Cali. If you can pass the smog test you could do 2 high flow cats. But I know a lot of people have had issues with passing even doing a whole new system.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Edds
Senior User

Yes a sawzall lol. Yeah that wouldn't work out to we'll in Cali. If you can pass the smog test you could do 2 high flow cats. But I know a lot of people have had issues with passing even doing a whole new system.
Wait what's a sawzall sorry. Yeah I'm going to stick with my stock cats until they don pass smog.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:15 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
A sawzall is a portable powered saw that cuts through "all" Pretty handy for small jobs.

I don't know which series muffler I have, can't find the paper work

Old 12-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer
A sawzall is a portable powered saw that cuts through "all" Pretty handy for small jobs.

I don't know which series muffler I have, can't find the paper work
Oh haha my bad. Lol it could be one of the 40 series