6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How to manually turn on dome light

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:45 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question How to manually turn on dome light

Can't figure out how to turn on dome light, so I broke down and did the un-thinkable, I read the manual.... I know, I'm embarrased to have to admit it.

from page 66

Press and hold the top of the control to the full on position to activate the dome on” feature. This will turn on the interior courtesy lights. The lights will remain on until the bottom of the control is pressed.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_10_2013.pdf

And no luck. Can hold the button down for a long, long time. The dimmer function works OK so the buttons are working. I would like to be able to turn on the rear light so my kids can buckle themselves

Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you with that one. You seem to be doing it right. If I hold the button in the up position for a few seconds it comes on and if I keep tapping the button up the lights come on. My problem has always been getting them to go off without it dimming the dash lights.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Sorry, I can't help you with that one. You seem to be doing it right. If I hold the button in the up position for a few seconds it comes on and if I keep tapping the button up the lights come on. My problem has always been getting them to go off without it dimming the dash lights.
Same for me Matt, I know it's not the answer Op wants but I usually get in truck first and don't pull door all the way to solve this issue.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
F16Vip3r
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a similar, yet different, issue (HIJACK!), is there any way to keep the truck bed light on? Or is it only activated with the courtesy lights? I can't find anything about it in the manual, but have had numerous occasions where I wish I could put it on (without having to open the doors).

Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Press and hold the top of the control to the full on position to activate the dome on” feature. This will turn on the interior courtesy lights. The lights will remain on until the bottom of the control is pressed.
Or it times out and shuts them all off on you, as is usually the case I find whenever I try to use any of the vehicle lights as work lights.

Originally Posted by F16Vip3r
On a similar, yet different, issue (HIJACK!), is there any way to keep the truck bed light on? Or is it only activated with the courtesy lights? I can't find anything about it in the manual, but have had numerous occasions where I wish I could put it on (without having to open the doors).
The wiring diagram shows that it is wired to the same circuit as the interior lights. You could change that simply by adding a wire to an upfitter, or by using a relay with both N/C and N/O contacts if you want to retain the automatic activation of the cargo light with the doors.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 AM
Averill7
Senior User
On my June 10 build date 11'...I hold the instrument dimming light in, to the second click feel, for about two seconds and all interior lights and the bed light remain on. You have to press the button past the first stop, til you feel a second click, then hold it. Works great to turn on interior lights and bed light.

Press the bottom of the button all the way in, two seconds, lights off.

Enjoy

Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F16Vip3r
The only way I can recommend is to use the key fob unlock command. That usually gives you like 30 seconds of cargo light as well as the running lights and interior lights. Definitely not a long term solution, but if you are looking for something without opening the doors, it should work for you.

I have Recon bed lights in my truck with a cover and I wired them to the taillights with a switch mounted in the bed for this very reason. If I approach the truck and need something out of the bed, I just hit the key fob and flip the toggle in the bed. If I need the lights to stay on for a longer period of time, I just turn on the parking lights. I had considered using an upfitter switch, but then the only way to use the lights would be with the key on. As it is, I can use the lights with the key or I can use them even if the keys are in the house. That wouldn't work as well on a truck that doesn't have keyless entry, but it works perfectly for me.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Can't figure out how to turn on dome light, so I broke down and did the un-thinkable, I read the manual.... I know, I'm embarrased to have to admit it.

from page 66

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_10_2013.pdf

And no luck. Can hold the button down for a long, long time. The dimmer function works OK so the buttons are working. I would like to be able to turn on the rear light so my kids can buckle themselves
I assume you are holding the dimmer switch in the "brighter" direction.

In my truck, it takes 2seconds of holding the button in that direction for it to turn the interior lights on, and tapping the dimmer in the "dimmer" direction, turns them off.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
SurryGent
New User
I have wondered for a year now how to get the interior lights to come on. Thanks for the info, it works. Hold the upper down and it comes on, hold the lower down and it dims off. Thanks again.