Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Newbe with an auto with ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM
diego-ted
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbe with an auto with ?

2002 PSD Auto, 4x4. I want to treat my tranny right, so I have heard different ways to utilize the OD. Some say to disengage while in town driving. Some say not to use while towing, some have said ok to use when towing when up to speed but not on inclines? What do you guys say?

Secondly, what do you guys think about power enhancers (Chips) do you use them, do they work? Will they cause pre-mature failure to the motor and tranny. Which is the best one. I mostly will use this truck for trips to the mountains (4 wheel drive) and some towing maybe 2K miles a year towing a 10k trailer.

Thx Diego

Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Most of us have power enhancers and you can search the TONS of threads arguing which one is the "best" for your application and you still won't know for sure...

That being said, on to your 1st topic, it depends on how much weight and what the incline is, whether or not you need to disengage your OD or not. The best way to tell is by looking at your exhaust gas temps and your tranny temps. If you are towing and the temps are in line, you have little to worry about, but there is absolutely no way to know without gauges to monitor things.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While it's stock, don't worry about the EGT's. I towed my 13k+ lb 5er all over the Southeast, to include our "mountains" before I had a chip and the truck never came close to the overheating on the EGT's. If you are in OD and are climbing a hill and the trans starts to hunt for a gear, shifting between 3rd and OD, then turn OD off. Personally, I always turn OD off until I'm above 65mph, then I let the trans shift into OD. And If I'm going to cruise below 65, I'll turn it back off. Once I get into the mountains, I generally slow down to about 60-65 mph and turn the OD off and just leave it that way.

Which power enhancer to get? Man, that question will never get old. I can say that if I were shopping right now I'd either go with Matt at Gearhead, or Jonathan at No Limits. Not that I'm unhappy with my current tunes, I'd just like to try theirs.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by diego-ted
2002 PSD Auto, 4x4. I want to treat my tranny right, so I have heard different ways to utilize the OD. Some say to disengage while in town driving. Some say not to use while towing, some have said ok to use when towing when up to speed but not on inclines? What do you guys say?
I say it is OK to leave the OD enabled at all times unless the trans is searching between third and fourth. Then turn it off. Leave it on in town, leave it on going up a grade. You can turn it off coming down a grade to get more engine braking.

Secondly, what do you guys think about power enhancers (Chips) do you use them, do they work?
I do not use them. Yes, they do work to increase your power.

Will they cause pre-mature failure to the motor and tranny.
Yes they will.

The powertrain was engineering to have a certain lifespan with the stock power. ANYTHING that increases the power level decreases the life of the components.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i prefer stick and this is one of the many reasons why. sometimes (usually when towing or on hills) the computer cant decide if it wants to use 3rd for the power, or 4th for the speed, that is the only time i ever turned of the od (on the 1 auto i owned). if the trans keeps going between the 2 gears then you decide for it, that constant back and forth will wear out a trans real quick, clutches will just get eaten up just like the clutch in a manual if you are constantly changing gears.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Secondly, what do you guys think about power enhancers (Chips) do you use them, do they work? Will they cause pre-mature failure to the motor and tranny. Which is the best one.
There is a link in my signature that covers this. Click on "Custom Tunes" in my signature.