Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New to me SD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys. Just got back from picking up a new to me 2000 F-250 XLT 4x4 with a ZF6 and has 162k miles on it. It already has a 4" exhaust system and an AFE intake. I have little experience with AFE stuff, so I'm undecided on whether I'll swap it out for a 6637. It also has had all F-350 suspension installed.

It's not without it's share of problems, but I think it will make a good replacement for my OBS as my daily driver.

Problems found so far:
- ESOF lines are broken on both sides.
- tiny fuel leak. Just enough to smell it, not enough to pool up in the valley
- Hail damage on the hood and drivers front fender. I think paintless dent removal will take care of the fender and I may get a cowl hood to fix the hood.
- Passenger side window is slow to roll down.
- Drag link has some slop
- Sway bar bushings
- After buying the truck, drove about 60 miles and developed a vibration when taking off from a stop until you get above ~15mph. Not sure of the cause of this yet.
- I cannot turn the steering wheel when stopped on pavement. I need to look into this as I know it's a common SD problem. This is a must fix for me coming from OBS trucks that turn easy enough to use one finger at a stop. I'm going to start researching this, but if anyone has any input, I'm all ears!

Overall, it's not in bad shape and I think I got into it for a fair enough deal if the sudden vibration isn't an expensive fix.

The mod list once I fix the few more important issues has begun, but I'm keeping it pretty simple for the time being.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
- Passenger side window is slow to roll down.
Congrats man Mine too, developed a weak rolling down p/s window. Found that the wire loom runs from outside/in, from under the door panel. Cut the wire rubbing againstthe metal skin. Fixed it, and BAM, window FLYS down now.,...(you'll see what im talking about when you removethe door panel).

Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Turning the wheel COULD be tire pressures too low. Mine did that for the longest time and i didn't realize the fronts were about 25psi low. You can try changing out the fluid. it uses transmission fluid, NOT power steering fluid. there is a flush procedure for it that is pretty easy. The RHN link in my signature has it. If not it's more than likely the steering box. The Red Head one is supposedly very good.

The vibration may be the carrier bearing going bad or the drive shaft yoke needs greasing.

Good looking truck though.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by HKusp
Turning the wheel COULD be tire pressures too low. Mine did that for the longest time and i didn't realize the fronts were about 25psi low. You can try changing out the fluid. it uses transmission fluid, NOT power steering fluid. there is a flush procedure for it that is pretty easy. The RHN link in my signature has it. If not it's more than likely the steering box. The Red Head one is supposedly very good.

The vibration may be the carrier bearing going bad or the drive shaft yoke needs greasing.

Good looking truck though.
Appreciate it. I am aware it takes ATF. I've worked on quite a few SDs, just never owned one until now and I've never looked into this steering issue until now. I'll check the tire pressure when I get off work. This is very possible b/c it just got new tires at discount tire and every time I've gotten tires there, the pressures are all jacked up.

The carrier bearing does have a slight amount of play, but my OBS had more and had no vibration. I'll check the slip yoke this weekend and slap some grease in there if needed. Great place to start, thanks for the ideas!

So I couldn't help myself. I'm so unimpressed with the performance being that I'm used to DDing my OBS... Chip has already been ordered from Tony.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Appreciate it. I am aware it takes ATF. I've worked on quite a few SDs, just never owned one until now and I've never looked into this steering issue until now. I'll check the tire pressure when I get off work. This is very possible b/c it just got new tires at discount tire and every time I've gotten tires there, the pressures are all jacked up.

The carrier bearing does have a slight amount of play, but my OBS had more and had no vibration. I'll check the slip yoke this weekend and slap some grease in there if needed. Great place to start, thanks for the ideas!

So I couldn't help myself. I'm so unimpressed with the performance being that I'm used to DDing my OBS... Chip has already been ordered from Tony.
Sorry I couldn't get down there and check it out for you, took me way longer than expected to get home from Amarillo and pissed down rain all day, that being said.....

Congrats on the new to you truck!!!!!!

Something must be in the air or it must be "buy a new to you truck" season. I bought myself the 2005 6.0 Excursion in my sig then you went and bought yourself a Super Duty. Like you, I worked on my fair share of them, I just never owned one, and now I do back on topic...

Happy for you fellow Death Row Inmate!

You bringing it down to tech day at Ted's?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-day-3-a.html

It's not too far off and we knock alot out that weekend...

Sounds like the top end needs some rebuilding, give Clay or Bob a call and get this kit, it's great place to start: http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/me...e=F731-O-COMBO

Not sure how much cash you have to spend after buying that truck, but I can attest to mods Clay sells for the 7.3 and tell you that they're worth EVERY penny. Give me a call or text if you have any questions.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Nice truck! You have a great foundation for modding {storm clouds building}

That fuel leak is likely the clamp cutting through on the passenger side. Depending on which model it is, that AFE may be superior to the 6637 - a little homework is needed. PS pump may need a flush, or maybe you need a Redhead. It will taking some trial and error with the inexpensive stuff to determine what's up.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Well there goes the neighborhood.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Sorry I couldn't get down there and check it out for you, took me way longer than expected to get home from Amarillo and pissed down rain all day, that being said.....

Congrats on the new to you truck!!!!!!

Something must be in the air or it must be "buy a new to you truck" season. I bought myself the 2005 6.0 Excursion in my sig then you went and bought yourself a Super Duty. Like you, I worked on my fair share of them, I just never owned one, and now I do back on topic...

Happy for you fellow Death Row Inmate!

You bringing it down to tech day at Ted's?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-day-3-a.html

It's not too far off and we knock alot out that weekend...

Sounds like the top end needs some rebuilding, give Clay or Bob a call and get this kit, it's great place to start: Riffraff Diesel: "Mechanics Parts Cabinet" Combo kit

Not sure how much cash you have to spend after buying that truck, but I can attest to mods Clay sells for the 7.3 and tell you that they're worth EVERY penny. Give me a call or text if you have any questions.
No big deal buddy. I ended up not even bothering with that truck. My dad found this one and it has way less miles on it.

I do plan on making it down to the tech day. Not sure if I'll bring this or the OBS. It's definitely a lot more fun having the power that is in my OBS, as you found out last time I saw you. LOL

Originally Posted by Tugly
Nice truck! You have a great foundation for modding {storm clouds building}

That fuel leak is likely the clamp cutting through on the passenger side. Depending on which model it is, that AFE may be superior to the 6637 - a little homework is needed. PS pump may need a flush, or maybe you need a Redhead. It will taking some trial and error with the inexpensive stuff to determine what's up.

I'm considering just junking the fuel system that's on it and doing a sump with a full fuel system. There's a good possibility that I'll throw these spare 160/100s I have sitting on the shelf in it that I just got back from Jim a couple months ago. So I'll want at least a regulated return when I put a new set of injectors in it anyways. Might as well get rid of that stupid fuel bowl and do a proper fuel system.

It doesn't take much of an excuse to make me delete stock stuff, if y'all can't tell. LOL

Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking SD.

Don't have enough knowledge on the other things to help, but I'm still learning.

Good luck with the truck.