1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 transmission stutter problem when cold. rare.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 transmission stutter problem when cold. rare.

Got the truck 2 months ago and it only happened 3 times; always on a cold engine.

2 times were on my street at low speed just out of my driveway. It's like the engine shuts down for a while and maybe downshifts too. Feels like someone is stepping on the brakes for a second and then all is back to normal.

Last time I was getting out of a restaurant and accelerating hard to get up to speed on a 70km/h road. The downshift happened while I was going almost 70 but still in low speed so the braking effect was severe enough to throw me forward. Once again everything was fine the next second.

I'm not sure if it's the transmission downshifting or the engine cutting; maybe even the ABS kicking in for some reason. It happens too fast and too rarely to be sure. My feeling from what I remember is that the truck is downshifting and I'm feeling the braking effects from compression. 6.2 engine.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
This is almost the same problem I had repeatedly with my '11 6.7. It got to the point that the truck would just completely shut down while moving for about two to three seconds. The tach would drop to zero, all electronics would shut down, and there was no pedal / throttle response. It happened three times but always happened when my truck was warmed up.

I had numerous problems with shift flares in the 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shift as well. I also had a lot of bucking and lurching on the 2-3 shift. It would be driving along in 3rd gear just after the 2-3 shift and would start to shift into 4th but would buck like I was hooked to a stump. Then it would finally complete the 3-4 shift. All in all, the truck was in the shop in excess of 30 days while they tried everything from reflashing it to tearing out the bottom end of the transmission and replacing pretty much everything they could without removing the transmission. It got progressively worse with each and every attempted repair.

The final word from Ford was that it was operating normally and that these were all just normal characteristics of the transmission. Hmmm...I don't think so.

I hope yours is still under warranty. I ended up driving all kinds of different rental vehicles and spent a lot of my time trying to get it resolved. It was a royal pain and made me wish I'd kept my '05 6.0. I'd get it in ASAP and get the paperwork started so you've got a paper trail. Keep all of your receipts and keep a log of dates, times, conversations, and who you speak to every step of the way. Documentation is your friend and if you end up in the same position I did, you're going to need all of it.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Keep all of your receipts and keep a log of dates, times, conversations, and who you speak to every step of the way. Documentation is your friend and if you end up in the same position I did, you're going to need all of it.
Thanks for the advice. I will do that. I bought it used with a remaining extended warranty for another year. Right now I don't think they could do anything since it happens so rarely so I'll just keep driving instead of paying them 50$ deductible to get them to tell me they could not reproduce the issue.

If it does not get any worse I can live with it. Not a bad idea to go easy when the engine is cold anyway.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Mine did the same thing you mentioned with regard to throwing me forward when the truck shut down.....felt just like someone hit the brakes. I know it wasn't me because I've never driven with both feet except when I had manual transmissions. And each time it happened, I still had steady pressure on the throttle. I explained it to the transmission tech at my dealer and they had the standard "could not duplicate issue" response when I picked it up each time. Finally, the trans tech, the diesel tech, and a Ford engineer rode with me. While it never would shut down like it had with me and my family driving, it did exhibit all of the shifting flares and issues.

I was pretty persistent with wanting mine fixed because a vehicle should not just shut down in the middle of the road and start back up on its own for no reason while moving 20-30 MPH. They said it was normal and I said it was a safety issue. I wasn't comfortable with just accepting their explanation because I knew it was BS. I also was no longer confident in the truck's ability to safely deliver my most important assets....my family. My wife drove it pretty regularly and had the same issues occur when she drove it. I'm not taking any chances with them.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Got the truck 2 months ago and it only happened 3 times; always on a cold engine.

2 times were on my street at low speed just out of my driveway. It's like the engine shuts down for a while and maybe downshifts too. Feels like someone is stepping on the brakes for a second and then all is back to normal.

Last time I was getting out of a restaurant and accelerating hard to get up to speed on a 70km/h road. The downshift happened while I was going almost 70 but still in low speed so the braking effect was severe enough to throw me forward. Once again everything was fine the next second.

I'm not sure if it's the transmission downshifting or the engine cutting; maybe even the ABS kicking in for some reason. It happens too fast and too rarely to be sure. My feeling from what I remember is that the truck is downshifting and I'm feeling the braking effects from compression. 6.2 engine.
Hi Fastfwd,

Was your dealer able to diagnose the concern? Please PM me your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and servicing dealer so I may assess how to best help.

Bianca

Old 10-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Hi Fastfwd,

Was your dealer able to diagnose the concern? Please PM me your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and servicing dealer so I may assess how to best help.

Bianca
Have not gone to the dealer for it yet. Can't see how I would get them to see the problem as it is so rare. PM sent anyway.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Mike in PA
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-problems.html

Not a new problem with your trans Fastfwd, Ford knows the problem and the fix. Good luck.

Mike in PA

Old 06-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Dalevee
New User
Similar Issue but Hot or Cold

2011 5.0 engine won't respond
Both engine and transmission disengage when starting from a stop. Truck begins to move forward 20 to 100 ft then the engine loses all power and won't respond to the accelerator.

Tach drops all the way down and the truck stops. Sometimes anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds it will reengage, rpms up and start accelerating. Other times I have to shift into park then the engine reengages.

Usually occurs at slow speed in a parking lot, stop light etc but it has also happened accelerating on an on ramp to I12.

1) Dealer checked it and replaced a couple plugs and wire because the code showed one cylinder with occasional misfire. I told them This wasn't misfire.
2) problem continues. Dealer finds no codes and drives it 35 miles in a week wo occurring. It happens again next day to me.
3) Dealer puts diagnostic capture with red button to push when it occurs. Will hold data for four events. One occurs as I pull out onto the highway in front of dealership. Roll backwards down hill into dealership lot so auto transmission must be disengaged. Put in park and engine renegades. Happens again after 20 ft. Dealer finds no codes and all data appears normal.
4) dealer tech drives it do another week. 75 miles. Nothing. Take it home Friday and it happens Saturday pulling from a stop sign in the middle of the intersection. Pump with no response for ten seconds then both engine and transmission eventually reengage.

Happens hot or cold.
I typically drive with a light touch because a fast candy apple red super crew with a loud exhaust tends to draw attention from those with badges!

Leaving work in the evening is like playing frogger and I don't want to be road kill!

2011 f150 SCrew Platinum 5.0 v8 auto

Round 5) Service Manager drove it for a week and no one can duplicate the issue. i guess the truck only wants to kill me. They called for me to pick it up but to their credit they weren't satisfied either.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Sorry to hear that. Mine never did it again.