Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What did you do to your IDI today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck/engine has been doing very good lately. couple weeks ago i had the headlight switch go out and had to drive home with the high beams and low beams on resulting in a burnt headlight switch connector. got new ones of each of those though and all is good.

Ordered a relay harness for the headlights from RJM Injection, but after more than a month of waiting and not hearing anything from them i asked them to cancel my order. Probly gonna end up making a harness...don't want to as i am flat tired of building everything i put on this truck, but i am not paying the kind of money companies want for a harness.

Tomorrow at school i might put my tail pipe back on as i took it off and just had the exhaust dumping over the rear axle. changed the sound a bit lol. but it leaves a massive spot of coal on the ground when i cold start it and i don't want to mess up the garage floor hahaha. that and it is also weird not being able to see when i am oraling what coal i can oral LMFAO!!!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:34 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts

Tried to abuse my idi today, but as always, did better than expected! Went and got a load of wood today. After we loaded that, a buddy of mine said that his car broke down. By far not the heaviest thing that I have pulled, but thought ya'll would like it.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:49 AM
mknapik
Senior User
Put water pump on the motor and the exhaust manifolds then the darn sick bug caught up with me so gonna give it a try today to be up and running

Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Put my carrier pump on today. Took about four hours to do it all including making the bracket with my handy jig saw!

Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM
d-day
Elder User
Messed around with the timing, just because :-)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...017&styleid=19

Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
thats a good spot Kla.looks good up there and easy to remove the bowl for the stainless screen cleanings.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 AM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
thats a good spot Kla.looks good up there and easy to remove the bowl for the stainless screen cleanings.
Thanks 250. Had to add a small piece to my flat stock to drop the pump down some. The outlet fitting was going to hit the hood. I'm not a metal faber at all, but with my jig saw and my neighbor's drill press, it came together good. My neighbor welded the add on piece for me.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
replaced the radiator in chip truck.the ready rad #432194 failed.
installed @ 70k miles on 06-28-2011
replaced today (with same under warranty) @ i think around 110k miles on truck now.

hooked up log trucks oem trans cooler.someone had bypassed it.had to flush it cus the fittings were plugged with dirt.pulled and cleaned the fittings and pumped a few quarts threw it and called it good.
maxed the fuel screw (now that intercooler is installed)
she runs good.i can tell the injectors are not the best.she doesn't run smooth and shakes a bit when in gear at idle.puffs some black for a bit when you nail the throttle.she's got some nuts now though,that's for sure.she isn't the same truck i brought home.
shes tagged for 23k combined gross and insured.safety inspection tomorrow.
she needs a front wheel alignment next.stake body enclosed and painted along with full underbody soon,now that warm weather is here.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
That thing will be a monster!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM
SEH43
Senior User
A few weeks ago I put in a new CDR valve. The truck had been using about 2 qt's in 1000 mi. I checked oil today, and 350 mi later I can't tell any change in oil level.
I'm happy!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:38 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i finally pulled the turbo on chip truck so i could punch holes in the valley pan so it would stop dripping oil.took way to long to get around to doing that.i thought it was the pan initially but looking around good i could see it was coming from higher up and the starter was wet.well the valve cover is dry (and wouldn't leak that much) so i knew what i had to do.looking forward to having a leak free truck.i was smart enough to punch the holes during the install the second time on log truck.
that must of caused me to lose a good oil change worth over the last couple years lmao.ah well,better late than never.

replaced the last of the pitted chrome on her yesterday with replacement exterior door handles.

now that im using log truck as well,i went to throw my gear in the toolboxes and forgot i never did wash them out yet.they were pretty nasty and rusty.so yesterday i also vacuumed out the bulk,then hosed and por-15 marine cleaned (strong degreaser) then i see i had a little por-15 pint left over and coated them with that.they're nice and clean inside now.

in all my years of driving,iv never bought "good" tires before.always the cheapest or slightly higher up.well they're expensive up front but supposed to be much longer lasting,thus cheaper in the long run.iv got 6 michelin ltx m/s2's coming for chip.id probably rather the a/t2 but with these fuel prices what ya gunna do? id rather suffer with less off road traction for the lower rolling resistance.
i skipped out on her yearly spring front end line up because the tires i bought last were shot anyway.so i'll have to get her trued up before putting the good rubber on.

oh,her (chips) brakes were felling pretty bad.i see i needed some front pads,so i tossed those on a few days ago.still didn't feel so hot,so i checked the adjustment in the rears.sure enough.even though everything is new back there,the common sterling 10.25 issue i guess of the self adjusters just not self adjusting like they should.manually snugging them up brought the stopping power back up to action yesterday too.

during the maintenance and test runs between the two trucks,let me know just how good the red head steering box in chip is,or just how sloppy the box in log truck is lol.she should get a halfway decent reman box at least to snug her steering back up like it should be.i dunno,maybe i'll keep my eyes open for one of those group buy threads here and grab another red.

oh yeah,log truck had window tint on just the rear glass and the pass side window.had a purple tinge to it.not my thing and it was....what's the word.i dunno but it had swirls in it and looked crappy anyway especially just on one side lol.in good shape on the rear glass so i left that.looks good all scrapped off and cleaned up on the side and wing window now.

haha i keep remembering more.flushed chips brake fluid.been a few years now.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM
86f350
Senior User
Patted her on the A$$...

Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im usually a cheap ***, but tires i always buy the best, even if they have to be used. I absolutely HATE tire problems. Also when you have to fix your own flats (including dismounts with bars) You get good tires.

I know some have good luck with em, but you will never see a set of michelins on anything i own, i dont care if theyre free.

Would love to get me a redhead box... fairly high on my list. The box isnt horrible, but definitely has 260k worth of play in it.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
6 new Michelin ltx m/s2's just installed on chip truck.......oh baby don't she roll nice.time to line her back up quick.she's got a pull to the right.i won't put it off long.

so as noted above,i pulled the turbo to punch holes in the valley.well,while re-installing the pressure chamber with a new felpro 60038 and black rtv i quickly noticed i had been leaking boost.....drastically and it happened slowly over time.
it's time to get a square cut o-ring.something that wont brake down over time and start leaking like rtv.should have figured rtv shouldn't be used to seal boost lol.so my economy has been needlessly low for a long time.
so it appears to be a dash size #429
#429 viton o-ring 5"id x 5 1/2" od x 1/4 CS 75 Durometer Black to be exact is what i think i'll try.it wouldn't need to be 1/2" wide like that i don't think,but that's the closest thing i see "off the self" and i don't think a little wide will hurt anything.

my economy should skyrocket with a boost leak fixed (she grabs 13 psi quick and holds it if i stab it! i remember the seller of this turbo claiming to have adjusted the wastegate for 13 psi.) and with some nice rubber again.
so the sad part will be,i wont be able to see how much (if any) the Michelin's helped because my economy will shoot up just due (primarily) to fixing the boost leak....ah well.that's how it goes.good lord i swear i just added 30-40hp sealing up the pressure chamber again....id like to kick myself sometimes.it's hard when something happens like that over time to notice it though.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
and just got her lined up.she's rolling like a brand new truck again.these rain days worked out pretty well.always plenty to do.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?