Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Ford Escape 2002 Code P1405

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 PM
strikechords
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Escape 2002 Code P1405

My Check engine light came on 2 months ago...I had the code read at Autozone and and they told me to change the DPFE sensor. I did this and the Check engine light went off.

It came on again three weeks later and I had the code read at Autozone again. The code is P1405. it's saying that the DPFE sensor upstream hose is off or unplugged; ECM detected EGR flow in a negative direction with no EGR flow command.

Probable causes listed are: failed DPFE sensor (BUT i already replaced this);
Open or shorted circuit condition; or
Plugged or damaged EGR Tube.

I am a novice when it comes to car repairs, but I am learning and I am wondering if changing the EGR tube is something within my skill level. I also don't know what a open or shorted circuit condition could mean.

If i changed my EGR tube on my own, are there any things I should be wary of?

PLEASE any help you can offer, would be much obliged!

Thank you

Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strikechords
are there any things I should be wary of?
Yeah, the tube not fixing it.

Not saying that the tube couldn't be at fault, but I've seen way too many failed sensors and torn hoses, and maybe.....1 tube in the ten years Escapes have been around roughly. I know the sensor is new, but did you get it from Autozone? That might be the problem right there (yes I'm being a snob. No I don't care.)

So you want to learn about modern auto repair. Step 1, research scan tools and find one capable of monitoring data, it'll be one of best investments you ever make.

Now, back to your current problem. Lacking a scanner at this point, we're somewhat limited, but here's a couple things I would try: The DPFE hoses are different sizes, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to hook them up backwards, so double check that first. If it's correct, get some small tubing long enough to reach from the EGR valve vacuum port to a safe point outside the engine bay. Now, with the engine running, attach one end of the tubing to the port on the EGR valve. If you have a vacuum pump, attach the other end to it and pull a vacuum on it; if not, simply suck on the tubing like a straw. If the engine stutters and runs poorly with a vacuum applied to it, that's a good sign both the EGR tube and the valve are working properly. Now, remove the hoses from the small branch tubes coming off the main EGR tube and verify that they are not plugged by probing them with a pick or piece of small wire. That's all the DPFE sensor does, is compare the pressure readings on those two hoses/tubes and uses that information to determine flow through the tube.

Try that and let us know what you find. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:20 PM
makuloco2000
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
its the hose torn or they are on backwards. Never changed a tube in all my years except for rot through on the f150's.