1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 7.3 trans cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 7.3 trans cooler upgrade

2000 F250 SD 7.3 4x4 extended cab.....

OK,first off,,i have a trans issue that i am trying to solve temporarily to get by untill i come up with the cash to get a new upgrded HD trans or the like.
I pulled the pan,the upper/lower valve bodies to head for the common loose feed bolt issues while am in there changing fluid and filter and when we went to pull the Solenoid block it was so stuck in the hole the connector busted up and ripped out of the block,i ordered a reman Solenoid block at a good price for now.

I want to upgrade and rid the old factory cooler while waiting on the part to arrive,even if the existing trans takes a total dump,i'll still have this upgrade done.

I know of and been searching for a 6.0 cooler,high prices to say the least,there is even guys on ebay selling used ones for about the same price as a new one and would much rather go with a new one for the fact used ones could have junk in them even though they claimed they are cleaned.

i found these while searching around,all at pretty reasonable price too..
Would any these be as good or better than the factory 6.0 coolers?
Oregon Performance Transmission - Rebuild Parts for 700R4 4L60E 4L80E E4OD 4R100 47RE 48RE & More: Tru-Cool Automatic Transmission Coolers

I've been told i would be better off bypassing the trans lines through the radiator when i upgrade to a better cooler because the radiator actualy keeps it from cooling faster..is this true?

I am thinking about putting an inline filter before the cooler to keep it clean,plus incase this trans takes a serious dump it'll help prevent junk from getting into the new cooler...am i right on track on this?

Ive heard that mine may have a stock magnetic filter and some say to ditch and get a better one,i see many small filters available that is pretty low on price and would be easily changed out like a fuel filter every so often,and yes i seen the 250.00+ kit for them,but for now i am wanting to put a little replacable inline filter in it ,should i go with a new mag filter or the regular filters?or..maybe both?.i was wondering if any of these may create a flow restriction that may defeat the purpose?

I'm not worried about any of these new coolers not fitting and bolting up to existing holes,i am an ironworker and fabricator by trade and have plenty of tools/welders here at home to fab up a good sturdy mount anywhere i see fit.

Thanks in advance,i'm just trying to get it back on the road for a little while untill i get the cash for a new updraded trans,we have a few spare vehicles i'll be selling to fund the new trans but really could use this thing back on the road while selling those 2.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
DO NOT bypass the radiator cooler. It is not a warmer, it only cools the ATF. It never warms it. You will lose a lot of cooling capacity without that cooler.

Your truck does not have a magnetic filter from the factory. It only has a filter in the pan. Adding one before a new cooler is a good idea.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
DO NOT bypass the radiator cooler. It is not a warmer, it only cools the ATF. It never warms it. You will lose a lot of cooling capacity without that cooler.

Your truck does not have a magnetic filter from the factory. It only has a filter in the pan. Adding one before a new cooler is a good idea.
Thanks...that saves a little time rerouting lines...

have any opinion on those coolers in the link i posted?..and maybe what inline filter should i use?..i see alot offering a little magnetic filter and others with a universal type inline filter.,would it restrict the flow too much if i use 2 of them?..1 universal and 1 of the magnetic type.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I have no opinion on any of those coolers. They don't have any numbers associated with them that would let me form an opinion. The pictures don't show enough, either.

Magnefine makes a good filter. I would not install two filters. That would cause problems.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I have no opinion on any of those coolers. They don't have any numbers associated with them that would let me form an opinion. The pictures don't show enough, either.

Magnefine makes a good filter. I would not install two filters. That would cause problems.
I ordered a few magnefine filters to keep one for a spare.

Here's a link that shows some details on the tru-cools...
Transmission Oil Coolers Tru Cool HD Transmission cooler

What baffles me is the highest BTU and GVW rating is one of the smallest coolers @ 40,000 GVW & 45,000 BTU....i'm guessing its just made more efficient than the others?

I can find that one shopping around a little for around 130.00 shipped to my door.

I shopped for a used 6.0 and about the cheapest i could find was a smaller 6.0 cooler for around 150.00 shipped to my door and it looked pretty darn nasty... and when i asked him what was wrong with the truck he just said it was old and parting out and never answered my question if the trans went out on it.Any others i found were around 250.00+ used.

i found a few used 6.0 coolers for less than 100.00 but don't know shipping charges yet on a few salvage parts websites search.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
A brand new 6.0L cooler is $210.79 at rockauto.com.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 PM
101vet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to upgrade the transmission cooler on my 2000 F250 SD. When I looked at the situation, it's down behind the air conditioner condenser which makes access pretty limited. Is it possible to do an exchange without removing the condenser? And if the condenser has to be removed, what should I be careful of? I assume that the system is under significant pressure and that I will have to recharge the AC afterwards.

I hope I've explained my questions well enough, and I thank you for taking time to read.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 101vet
I'm going to upgrade the transmission cooler on my 2000 F250 SD. When I looked at the situation, it's down behind the air conditioner condenser which makes access pretty limited. Is it possible to do an exchange without removing the condenser? And if the condenser has to be removed, what should I be careful of? I assume that the system is under significant pressure and that I will have to recharge the AC afterwards.

I hope I've explained my questions well enough, and I thank you for taking time to read.
See the fourth post in this thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-cooler.html

Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 PM
101vet
New User
Thanks a million! That write up is just what I needed. I'm a little chagrined that I didn't find it on my own but sure appreciate the steer.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
101vet
New User
I've got the new 6.0 cooler in and re-plumbing but I want to ask before I screw up a good thing. One of the transmission lines comes from the front of the transmission and the other from the rear. Which is supply and which return?

Also, I assume that the cooler can circulate in either direction. Is this a safe assumption?

Lastly, the Magnafine filter I got says to install on supply side for new trucks and return side for in-use trucks. Do you guys concur? I know, follow directions but I can't make sense of the reasoning.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The cooler itself is bi-directional so it doesn't matter which hose is plumbed where.

The line towards the front of the transmission is hot fluid out towards the cooler. The line towards the rear is the return.

Put your Magnefine on the line coming out of the trans going to the cooler. This might help keep the cooler from collecting debris. If you were re-using a cooler, then placing the filter on the return line might help trap any debris that gets dislodged from the cooler during it's previous life. At least that is the theory anyway...

Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM
101vet
New User
Thanks for the quick reply! I was itching to get back to work and now I can.

Much appreciated

Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I put in a used 6.0 cooler and put the magnafine in the return line after the cooler..