Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD1/OBDll

Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Treker58
Senior User
Treker58 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Treker58 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OBD1/OBDll

How many people here have an X that is OBDl or OBDll compliant. Just wondering as I scanned my wifes car for a problem this past weekend, and for the hell of it decided to scan my X, it shows up as OBDl using the Torque app. Also the emissions sticker under the hood does not say that it's OBDll compliant

Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
az_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud of
I have a obd2 compliant model.
All California models and Canadian models are OBD2 from what I have read.
Main differences are they have EGR and an oxygen sensor after the CAT.
There is also better monitoring of misfires for each cylinder.
I am sure there is more.
I also use Torque pro

Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Mine doesn't have a EGR or after cat 02.

It monitors misfires good had a coil go out, and within a city block the CEL came on, plugged it in, gave me the cylinder # that was bad.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Treker58
Senior User
Treker58 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Treker58 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post

It monitors misfires good had a coil go out, and within a city block the CEL came on, plugged it in, gave me the cylinder # that was bad.
Were you using the Torque app or a scanner, if a scanner what type?

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 PM
fordno1
Senior User
fordno1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
All vehicles built after 1996 with the exception of a few 1995 models are OBDII. Federal requirement.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Treker58 View Post
Were you using the Torque app or a scanner, if a scanner what type?
Scanner. Just a cheap one from Walmart.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Treker58
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordno1 View Post
All vehicles built after 1996 with the exception of a few 1995 models are OBDII. Federal requirement.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
az_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud of
wrong.

The gvwr excluded the Excursion.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
But, u must remember, they use the same plug under the dash as the OBDII vehicles.. So, alot of times they are called OBDII

Old 08-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by az_r2d1 View Post
All California models and Canadian models are OBD2 from what I have read.
Depends on what engine is in the Ex.

There's no California model for the PSD's.

I used to think the same thing, until my esteemed colleague Crazy Tom explained that isn't true, as the above post has shown you.

IIRC, the V10 forum has a lot of info regarding this topic.

Stewart

Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
But, u must remember, they use the same plug under the dash as the OBDII vehicles.. So, alot of times they are called OBDII
They use OBD II hardware and communications, but they're "brain-damaged" back to only OBD I calibrations in software.

Look at the emissions sticker under the hood. If' it specifically states "Califonia" and/or "OBD II", then that is what it is. It it states neither of the above, it's a "Federal" with OBD I software.

Would you mind going and checking the label? If it's OBD I, it takes an extremely severe misfire to set a fault code. Mild misfires seem to go unreported by the misfire monitor.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
They use OBD II hardware and communications, but they're "brain-damaged" back to only OBD I calibrations in software.

Look at the emissions sticker under the hood. If' it specifically states "Califonia" and/or "OBD II", then that is what it is. It it states neither of the above, it's a "Federal" with OBD I software.

Would you mind going and checking the label? If it's OBD I, it takes an extremely severe misfire to set a fault code. Mild misfires seem to go unreported by the misfire monitor.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 PM
fordno1
Senior User
fordno1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
OBDII was mandated by the federal govt for all 1996 model year cars and trucks. No vehicle was exempt. This standardized the ALDL connection so all were the same and it also mandated the connection was to be placed inside the vehicle in or around the dash. However, some like VW, like to hide it behind the ashtray. OBDII standardized the codes. All vehicles use the same numbers for the same general things. Misfires and the like. However, most manufactures have vehicle specific codes for their systems because of special functions. That is why 1 tool will diagnose every vehicle with a CEL on. Cheaper tools will give a code but it may not tell you the part or system that is causing the CEL. All vehicles will give a data stream for ease of diagnosing a CEL. Not every scan tool will give all information regarding a data stream because of the software. A $100 scan tool can't do the same as a $1000 scan tool. They will both tell you why the light is on but the $1000 tool will tell you more information and do more for you. It's all in the software. Why do you think OBDI in the Ford line was a pain through the 1980's into the 90's. Hard to diagnose problems. Very little information was given. Data stream was terrible. GM did a fantastic job. A lot of information was given. Data streams gave a lot real time sensor readings. That is the difference between the 2. Nobody has OBDI after 1996.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
OBDII was mandated by the federal govt for all 1996 model year cars and trucks. No vehicle was exempt. This standardized the ALDL connection so all were the same and it also mandated the connection was to be placed inside the vehicle in or around the dash. However, some like VW, like to hide it behind the ashtray. OBDII standardized the codes. All vehicles use the same numbers for the same general things. Misfires and the like. However, most manufactures have vehicle specific codes for their systems because of special functions. That is why 1 tool will diagnose every vehicle with a CEL on. Cheaper tools will give a code but it may not tell you the part or system that is causing the CEL. All vehicles will give a data stream for ease of diagnosing a CEL. Not every scan tool will give all information regarding a data stream because of the software. A $100 scan tool can't do the same as a $1000 scan tool. They will both tell you why the light is on but the $1000 tool will tell you more information and do more for you. It's all in the software. Why do you think OBDI in the Ford line was a pain through the 1980's into the 90's. Hard to diagnose problems. Very little information was given. Data stream was terrible. GM did a fantastic job. A lot of information was given. Data streams gave a lot real time sensor readings. That is the difference between the 2. Nobody has OBDI after 1996.

I guess you ignored what was said above.
The excursion sold in the US (except Cali models) are not obdII compliant.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
OBDII was mandated by the federal govt for all 1996 model year cars and trucks. No vehicle was exempt.
That is not correct.

I was under the same impression, and when the guys here let me know I was wrong, I looked at the info they posted for my benefit, then corroborated the facts with my own research.

Please don't stubbornly stand by your statement when several of us have informed you of the exception to the OBD II requirement. Please do some research and you will find the same info.

Like I said earlier, the V10 forum covers this topic extensively:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ml#post3889931

Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Ever wonder why your MIL/CES light doesn't come on for certain things?

Misfires, dirty MAF, bad IAC?

Many trucks over 8500lbs only have OBD-I not OBD-II.

Same computer, same communications, but certainly a different threshold for certain things, and other things are just plain gone.

This is from 2001:

For the rest of the years, go here:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&menuIndex1=56

In the sheet for 2005, Ford mentions phasing in OBD-II in trucks, and some Federal spec trucks may still be OBD-I.
Stewart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD1/OBDll

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.