Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD1/OBDll

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 PM
fordno1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying not to be stubborn. I was taught that, not always correct and this is one of those times. Learn something new everyday! The idea behind OBDII was to standardize the connector, location of connector, using the same numbers for "generic" codes like misfires. This was to simplify. However states like CA & NY wanted vehicles OBDII compliant. This is because of cleaner emissions. More sensors can tell you more information and also will tell you when things aren't right, the CEL will be on. More parameters have to be met. The idea is lower emissions, fuel vapors not released into the atmosphere, etc. You may or may not have a OBDII Excursion. Depends what state it was sold in new. Sorry, my bad.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
have24wheel;

Yep, yours is indeed OBD I per that label.

Finally found my Mode 6 data for my 01 SD last evening using my Vehicle Explorer package from Alex Peper. No fault codes, but I had two cylinders with very elevated misfire percentage rates. New COPS should arrive tomorrow. Torque App is still unable to find any valid misfire data.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Good info here.

The big take-away that I learned from this is that you can't count on the CEL to illuminate for misfires and other minor things that you would normally expect. I had a bad COP one day and the truck was shaking the entire way to work and back. I was waiting for the CEL to illuminate so I could scan it to find the bad cylinder, but it never happened. When I got home I scanned it anyway and found 2 codes stored that never set the CEL.

The other take away is that the PCM doesn't care if your cat is working or not because there's no downstream O2 sensor.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Good info here.

The big take-away that I learned from this is that you can't count on the CEL to illuminate for misfires and other minor things that you would normally expect. I had a bad COP one day and the truck was shaking the entire way to work and back. I was waiting for the CEL to illuminate so I could scan it to find the bad cylinder, but it never happened. When I got home I scanned it anyway and found 2 codes stored that never set the CEL.
That is true in some cases, but not always. The trucks at work that had coils go out never had a CEL, but mine did, and it was within a couple min after I knoticed the missfire by how it ran, and the sound of the exhaust.

Originally Posted by Crazy001
The other take away is that the PCM doesn't care if your cat is working or not because there's no downstream O2 sensor.
That's the part I like a out it. Computer doesn't even know if the cat is there or not.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
have24wheel;

Yep, yours is indeed OBD I per that label.

Finally found my Mode 6 data for my 01 SD last evening using my Vehicle Explorer package from Alex Peper. No fault codes, but I had two cylinders with very elevated misfire percentage rates. New COPS should arrive tomorrow. Torque App is still unable to find any valid misfire data.
Did you look in the status function in torque ?
Probably wan to report it to the developer that it isn't working right. He is very responsive.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Did you look in the status function in torque ?
Probably wan to report it to the developer that it isn't working right. He is very responsive.
After poking around Ian's forum, I found a reference that Ford's Mode $06 data was supposed to be in the "Test results" section of the app, rather than in the live or real time data where I had anticipated it would be and had been looking for for a long time. After all, that's where they were for my old 97 F150 and for my 98 Conturd.

Sure enough, it was there. I pulled the same data as with the VE software. A pair of COPS are on order from Rockauto as we speak and should arrive tomorrow. High misfire percentages for Cylinders 1 & 6. At least they're super easy to reach!

That is true in some cases, but not always. The trucks at work that had coils go out never had a CEL, but mine did, and it was within a couple min after I knoticed the missfire by how it ran, and the sound of the exhaust.
I suspect that Ford have been doing tweaks to the software by MY 2003 and had made some changes that were not available in, for example, my 2001 SD. The 2003 OBDII Summary seems to hint at that.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
After poking around Ian's forum, I found a reference that Ford's Mode $06 data was supposed to be in the "Test results" section of the app, rather than in the live or real time data where I had anticipated it would be.

Sure enough, it was there. I pulled the same data as with the VE software. A pair of COPS are on order from Rockauto as we speak and should arrive tomorrow. High misfire percentages for Cylinders 1 & 6. At least they're super easy to reach!
Good stuff. How high did they report ?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM
ycis
Senior User
just so im reading this right (as there appear to be two different camps here)

no ex sold in the US (that wasnt a cali truck) is obd2? they are all obd1?

how do the scangauges work? i thought those were all obd2 only?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Good stuff. How high did they report ?

I'll see if I can get some screen shots this evening...

just so im reading this right (as there appear to be two different camps here)

no ex sold in the US (that wasnt a cali truck) is obd2? they are all obd1?
No. For an introduction, see page 3 of the manual appropriate for YOUR vehicle. Download at http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=diag_theory_retail&gutsid=diags heet&menuIndex1=10

Basically, only OBDII vehicles ("California") could be sold in the defined "green states". However, OBDII vehicles could be sold anywhere and may have been, depending on factory inventory and dealer orders. OBD I vehicles could only be sold into the non-"green states".

how do the scangauges work? i thought those were all obd2 only?

The Scanguage products communicate with any vehicle that uses OBDII hardware and communication protocols. The calibration level of the PCM isn't a consideration for the basic communications.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And to confuse it even more i believe all 5.4 X's were OBDII because they had an 8600 lb GVWR, no matter where it was sold.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 AM
ycis
Senior User
ok well thats clear as mud...i just spent the past 10minutes reading all those manuals and suppliments and im still not sure how to determine if my 04 ex 6.0 is obd1 or 2.

id just like to know if the torque app would work on my truck before buying it and the adapter.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Treker58
Senior User
Originally Posted by ycis
ok well thats clear as mud...i just spent the past 10minutes reading all those manuals and suppliments and im still not sure how to determine if my 04 ex 6.0 is obd1 or 2.

id just like to know if the torque app would work on my truck before buying it and the adapter.
You should be able to look at the emissions sticker under you hood, the stickers will state if the X is OBDll compliant. The Bluetooth OBDll that I bought works with my X and it is OBDl I just don't get all the info that a OBDll would but what I need. Be careful which OBDll you buy I had three different ones, the first one(China cheapo) made my CEL come on. The second one didn't work at all. the third one works great
404 Looking for Something? 404 Looking for Something?
to keep the adapter out of the way when driving. Also had to flip the OBD port over on the X so that the cable was going towards the passangers side

Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM
ycis
Senior User
yea, the only stickers I found on the fan shroud described the belt pathway...

Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ycis
yea, the only stickers I found on the fan shroud described the belt pathway...
Sounds like it's been wrecked before you got it. With VIN, the dealer can get you a replacement emissions label.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
ycis
Senior User
do have a nice cen-tech scan tool thats supposed to be for obd2...it hooks up just fine and tells me nothings wrong...guess it is.

Quick Reply: OBD1/OBDll