Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Fuster Cluck

Old 05-18-2013, 10:16 PM
9d5 Off-Road
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Fuster Cluck

Have a '95 F-150 with the off-road package. Bought it last year from San Juan County for $1200. Been straightening it up here and there (bought it to be used just when we need a truck, not a daily driver), finally got around to doing the interior. As with most Fords of the era, the column shifter is sloppy and the indicator is pretty useless in telling you what gear the truck really is in. Along with about 5-6 bulbs being burned out, I decided last weekend to fix all the issues.
Got the "PRNDL" indicator out of a '95 in the local 'yard. Came home, took the cluster out (pulled the 3 connectors on the back), replaced the bulbs, pulled the cover lens, cleaned the dust & dirt off the gauges and the back of said lens.
Hooked it all back up, secured it all down, and fired it up. Did a quick drive, the speedo is bouncing all over and in gear (forward or reverse) at low speed or standing still, the truck starts stumbling and sometimes stalling completely.
Today I pulled it all back out, cleaned the connectors and connection spots, re-assembled and no change. Frustrated with this, so I must have missed something in this repair process that is Ford-specific.
Any ideas? If there is one thing I do not like so far with this truck it is the electrical/electronics. Everything else is really well done (Although I do hear the OD tranny is a PITA, if it goes out do NOT use Ford parts, have somebody well versed in them rebuild it), and I like the truck.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 05-19-2013, 08:51 AM
UncleCracker302
Senior User
I have the same problem...pulled the cluster to change the bulbs, put it back together, and have the cracked-out disco speedometer.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
I don't have a real answer for the speedo issue, I have seen the dancing speedo issue myself and the only fix that worked for me was to replace the speedo portion with another... the individual gauges unplug from the cluster assembly from the front. Maybe those connectors need a little cleaning or maybe the speedo itself has become demagnetized.. I have read there is a way to recharge it but haven't tried doing it.

Some people have problems with the auto OD transmissions in these trucks, but many of those people fail to realize that these things are completely computer controlled and try to fix it like a mechanical trans. Problem is the computer is programmed to protect the trans if it loses a major sensor input so in many cases there's nothing wrong with the trans and people spend all kinds of money repairing and replacing it when all they had to do was pull the codes and change a $50 sensor... or fix some rodent chewed wiring.

You will also find the quality of Ford electronics is far superior to anything you will buy aftermarket, I routinely pull TFI ignition modules off junkyard cars because these used parts with unknown miles routinely outlast brand new aftermarket parts.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 AM
bootmaker
Senior User
I would make sure you got the connectors correct and in the right pin spots.
Here is the back of a cluster w/o tach. I have put numbers in the correct pin spots. If you need settings with a Tach I have those to. If you look very closely you will see the numbers or some numbers. They can be hard to see. """When changing bulbs, wipe with alcohol cloth. The oil on your fingers will make them burn out faster"""

Also make sure you installed the cluster with the speed needle on "0"

Incorrectly installed if needle is on 90

I hope that resolves your problem. If not it could be your speed sensor. To set the computer you must drive about 20 miles after you disconnect the battery.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
A common problem for the "PRNDL" indicator being off is the loose screws at the bottom of the column.

What are you saying you replaced when you say you replaced the ""PRNDL" indicator?
The whole cluster?
If so the cluster you got from the salvage yard may have a bad PSOM in it.

/

Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The speedo has mineral oil inside to dampen needle bounce. If the cluster is inverted the oil can leak out...

Old 05-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Phy
The speedo has mineral oil inside to dampen needle bounce. If the cluster is inverted the oil can leak out...
Correct. It says right on the cluster"do not lay on face"

Old 05-19-2013, 12:56 PM
9d5 Off-Road
New User
I just replaced the "PRNDL" section. Thinking back, I most probably laid it flat- didn't see a warning label. Dagnabit!

Subford- thank you for that info, will be doing that here in the next few days

Bootmaker- the needle was flat on 0, was paranoid about the connections and double checked them. we cleaned the contact points and connectors as well.

I appreciate all the help, hate to think I have to pull a cluster apart to straighten mine out, but you have to do what has to get done!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
bootmaker
Senior User
I have laid mine on the face with no issues. The mileage is held in the cluster. I was going to put a 93 into my 92 because it has a tachometer. It also has 20,000 extra miles on it. I figured I would wait till I have those 20,000 to install it with the tachometer. I could then sell my other two clusters.

I am betting that your wheel speed sensor is not working but someone else may know better. I know when I go 4 wheeling and my wheels spin when I hit slippery surfaces my cruise control gets thrown off and it requires 20 miles of even driving to fix it.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bootmaker
I have laid mine on the face with no issues. The mileage is held in the cluster. I was going to put a 93 into my 92 because it has a tachometer. It also has 20,000 extra miles on it. I figured I would wait till I have those 20,000 to install it with the tachometer. I could then sell my other two clusters.

I am betting that your wheel speed sensor is not working but someone else may know better. I know when I go 4 wheeling and my wheels spin when I hit slippery surfaces my cruise control gets thrown off and it requires 20 miles of even driving to fix it.
Swap out the PSOM(speedo) with your original, that will keep your milage and speedo ratios correct without having to reprogram the PSOM.

Laying the cluster down on it's face for a few min will not hurt them, I had one face down for a few weeks with no issues.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 9d5 Off-Road
Got the "PRNDL" indicator out of a '95 in the local 'yard. Came home, took the cluster out (pulled the 3 connectors on the back), replaced the bulbs, pulled the cover lens, cleaned the dust & dirt off the gauges and the back of said lens.
Hooked it all back up, secured it all down, and fired it up. Did a quick drive, the speedo is bouncing all over and in gear (forward or reverse) at low speed or standing still, the truck starts stumbling and sometimes stalling completely.
Today I pulled it all back out, cleaned the connectors and connection spots, re-assembled and no change.
If the connectors are good on the PSOM then most likely the PSOM went bad.

The "PRNOD1" indicators are common from 92 to 96 clusters so you don't have to find a specific year truck. Don't you love that brittle plastic holder on the column, that's usually where the problem occures with the indicator not showing correctly. It snaps and mungs up the works....

Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM
bootmaker
Senior User
I put shrink wrap around the shift wire. They become brittle and brake as well. My original actually broke and the shrink wrap fixed it with no issues. Spin the little plastic button to set the shift correctly.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bootmaker
I put shrink wrap around the shift wire. They become brittle and brake as well. My original actually broke and the shrink wrap fixed it with no issues. Spin the little plastic button to set the shift correctly.

Shrink wrap... never though of that fix! Thanks Bootmaker!

Now to fix a few mung ups....