Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Shifting Hard, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E4OD Shifting Hard, please help!!!

Hey experts,

This is my first post. Here's the deal:
I've spent the better part of the last year working with my transmission on my 95 f-150 4.9l. I had transmission failure in Oct. 2011 and swapped my E4OD in May 2012 (was at school all winter). All summer it's given me grief (hard shifts, fluid leaking, ect.).

Had to bypass the stock cooler with an external cooler after learning there was a rupture in the internal line. So it now has an external cooler.

Changed fluid and filter in June 2012. Still shifted hard.

Did the battery disconnect trick. Still shifts hard.

Only codes I've ever gotten on the self test were 118 and 624(edit: solenoid circuit failure), and looking into those codes proved inconclusive/ no relation to my problem ( edit:624 prompted me replace my shift solenoid myself).

Rebuilt my transfer case after the shift yolk wore out and I broke down (due to hard shifting maybe?)

In Oct it stopped shifting hard shortly after replacing my shift solenoid. Actually it didn't stop right after I replaced the solenoid... one night, out of frustration of the hard shifting I still experienced after replacing the solenoid I floored it on my drive home after each stop, and suddenly it shifted normally for like 4 months!

In January the plug on the solenoid got wet and caused erratic transmission behavior and hard shifting returned, so i replaced the plug. It started shifting hard again.

I replaced my solenoid again thinking the water that ruined the plug ruined the solenoid too.

Still shifts hard.

Replaced my TPS sensor today, and it helped the transition from 1st to 2nd, but it shifts hard onto 3rd and slightly hard into 4th.

I would've taken it to a shop but the cost is greater than the value of the vehicle and I'm in school so I can't afford it anyways.

Anyone with advice and ideas, I'd greatly appreciate the input. I have scrolled though most of the forums here on the E4OD since last winter, and I've tried most of the ideas I've come acrossed. I found the "Useful Write Up of the Dreaded E4OD" too. Basically, I tried everything except posting.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
does it shift hard or just firm. when you replaced the trans did the new one have a shift kit and was it new or used when you put it in? also a more specific definition of the hard shifting (if possible somethings are hard to explain) would be helpful also

Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
That is a good question. My friend wondered this too. It is a used transmission from a 94 dually I think... and I didn't see anything that would suggest a shift kit mod when I replaced the solenoids, it looked pretty standard to me.

When I say hard shifting I mean it kind of slams into gear, it feels like someone rear ended you and it even makes a slamming sound. I brace myself every time.

Now that 1st gear shifts smooth after the tps replacement it seems that its definitely not supposed to do that haha.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
I replied to you on the thread so everyone else can see, I don't know if you'd get a notification that I replied or not. Thanks for the question!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by oldtruck36
Only codes I've ever gotten on the self test were 118 and 624(trans temp sensor I believe), and looking into those codes proved inconclusive/ no relation to my problem.
This makes no sense, the computer is programmed to boost line pressure and hold gears longer(which presents as hard shifts) if it senses something wrong with any part of the powertrain. A malfunctioning TOT(trans oil temp) sensor is guaranteed to trigger this response from the computer.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
it does send me an email

Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
I just went and pulled the codes to be sure and 118 and 624 did show up again. 624 is not the TOT code ( I must have gotten it confused after reading other posts about codes sorry)624 is actually: Solenoid/circuit failure -Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) current is high - Tran Wht pasmissions (source:http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/)

So, Conanski, that might be why this doesn't make sense (sorry).

Code 122 came up this time but I have the TPS sensor unplugged, I wanted to make sure I installed it correctly because of the issues I'm still having.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
Well, for anyone interested,

I took the truck for a drive just now after disconnecting the battery (hoping the computer would re-calibrate) while I installed the tps sensor.

Guess what, it shifts normal.

This has happened before, so we'll see how long it lasts. There's still a little kick from 2nd to 3rd and you can barely notice the first and last shift.

However it slams into reverse, and stalls when you shift back into drive.

What the heck man...

I had dreams of restoring this truck and making it great, it's a Michigan truck so it really just needs new fenders. I just don't know anymore.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
I just went and pulled the codes to be sure and 118 and 624 did show up again. 624 is not the TOT code ( I must have gotten it confused after reading other posts about codes sorry)624 is actually: Solenoid/circuit failure -Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) current is high - Tran Wht pasmissions (source:http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/)

So, Conanski, that might be why this doesn't make sense (sorry).
What doesn't make sense? You have a sensor problem so it needs to be fixed or the trans won't work correctly.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:04 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, for anyone interested,

I took the truck for a drive just now after disconnecting the battery (hoping the computer would re-calibrate) while I installed the tps sensor.

Guess what, it shifts normal.

This has happened before, so we'll see how long it lasts. There's still a little kick from 2nd to 3rd and you can barely notice the first and last shift.

However it slams into reverse, and stalls when you shift back into drive.

What the heck man...

I had dreams of restoring this truck and making it great, it's a Michigan truck so it really just needs new fenders. I just don't know anymore.
you can't just clear the codes and hope the problem fixes itself.it enters the hard shifting mode to help protect itself via increased line pressure just enough so you can limp it home.your not supposed to drive it like this.
if your getting a TOT code,then this means the TOT sensor on the solenoid pack has failed or it's connection between the computer and the sensor has failed.
whenever you have issues like this first rule out the simple things.start by pulling the solenoid pack connector cleaning the plug on both ends very good with electrical cleaner and pack with dielectric grease.then clear the codes and go for a drive.if she enters limp mode again (flashing od light/firm shifts) then read the code and if the TOT comes up again,then you should have the tot tested and or just replace the solenoid pack.
edit;oh not the tot then,but same game for the epc solenoid anyway.start with the cleaning.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:19 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
Conanski/FORDF250HDXLT,

Thanks for the reply. When I said I was hoping the computer would recalibrate I meant after I connected the new tps sensor. I read somewhere that you have to reset the computer after you replace a part or the computer doesn't know the parts been replaced and remains in limp mode. But the solenoid is new(Ish, rebuilt from transmissionsusa.com or something, its a legit manufacturer not garbage) and the plug is brand new and I did use grease this time after my wet señsor incident in January.

I don't think the problem lies in my hardware (solenoid) as I've replaced it twice and had the same results. Today it shifted fine, still a slight bump from 2nd to 3rd, and reverse causes a stall, as does sitting at a stop light in D for too long. So obviously I have some serious pressure problems. But the solenoid shouldn't be the problem.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
Ps my OD light never flashes, which I find odd because all the other posts ive read about limp mode say it does flash.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't think the problem lies in my hardware (solenoid) as I've replaced it twice and had the same results. Today it shifted fine, still a slight bump from 2nd to 3rd, and reverse causes a stall, as does sitting at a stop light in D for too long. So obviously I have some serious pressure problems. But the solenoid shouldn't be the problem.
your computer is telling you the epc solenoid has a problem.so it's either a bad solenoid or poor communication between it and the computer.so focusing on resolving this code is of utmost importance.to do so,you start with the basics.don't assume the solenoid pack plug is still as clean as it was the last time you cleaned it.re-clean it with cleaner and apply a fresh coat of grease.
how's the fluid level?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:48 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Conanski
This makes no sense, the computer is programmed to boost line pressure and hold gears longer(which presents as hard shifts) if it senses something wrong with any part of the powertrain. A malfunctioning TOT(trans oil temp) sensor is guaranteed to trigger this response from the computer.
This is what I was referring to.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
I'll check the plug again tonight, is there a way I can get to the plug end that connects to the computer? Fluid was a little over the hash marks. If I drain it to appropriate levels do I need to disconnect the battery again to reset the computer to see if it worked? I've noticed that fixing a problem doesn't solve anything until you reset the computer. Thanks for all your advice!

Quick Reply: E4OD Shifting Hard, please help!!!