Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My 6.9L IDI Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 AM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 6.9L IDI Build

I picked the 6.9 for my Bronco. I choose the IDI and looked at BT4/6, Power Stroke, etc. and figured the IDI is the best fit for me.

It a direct fit with minimum work to convert. I looked at the 7.3 IDI and the 6.9 I think personally is a better block if you get the right year.

One of the most important things I learned early on is ask a lot of questions. Find people who have done thing other say could not be done.

My Bronco has a 351M, I know how hard it is find performance part. So why not pick an engine that is no different. Well I am here to say there is a HUGE difference.

I was not impressed with the 7.3 and hearing issues and different problems from the boring of a 6.9 to make the 7.3. The 6.9 is really a Tuff engine! And so is my Bronco and I am building a solid engine!

In the end the Build and the Dyno will tell the tail. I have a blog going to show pictures and more about what I have done. I will have YouTube videos of the build from the Machine show and the tear down of my Bronco and the changes I am making.

Follow My Blog: Turn your 78 Ford Bronco 2 a non smog Big Block

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM
bronco78idi
Senior User
The build has been in progress for a Year now. At the start of all this I knew nothing really about the diesel engine other than they last a long time over gas. A friend of mine found the 1987 F250 at the junk yard. We pulled it, thinking there was a simple problem. It had a new starter and pump. Well that didn’t work out.

For about 6 month I went on different sites looking at peoples builds, hours watching YouTube of other IDI’s and researching like as gas guy parts to build a hot rod, LOL. That didn’t work out. I was only into the 6.9 for $ 200.00 buck and everyone said Dump it and get a 4 BT or a Power Stroke. BLAH BLAH BLAH!!

After thinking it over I wanted to keep my Bronco in the ford Family. I also didn’t want any Dam Computer and all the wiring to go with it. I am not building a race car, Hell if I was it wouldn’t be a truck. The IDI was the right choice for the project. Plus I already built my Hot Rod a 1968 GTO Frame off restro.

What do I want out of my build. Everything Right! I want an engine that gets better fuel mileage then my 8 miles to a gallon 351M. Mid-range performance and enough low end to pull my *** over a trail. I want an engine that will last and here is the Big one “RELIABLE”!

One thing I believe is you will never get a crate motor better than a custom build from your local machine shop. Everything on a build is about the details, Part choice and special addition. Most people I know buy crate engines and then tear them a part adding things. Why not start with a blank page and move forward.

I talked to a lot of local machine shops about my build. It took me a solid month to figure out which shop would get my business and what shop was just a hack job. Again Details!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 7.3 block IMO, just need to make sure its up on its SCA, which really should happen no matter what engine it is if its a diesel.

Skimmed through your page, sounds like a solid build man cant wait to see the outcome. I yanked my 400 with cam,intake , carb and headers to make room for the IDI. Coulndt have been more happy. While stock (the idi) would probably lose in a race, it won towing hands down, fuel economy went from 8-11 to 17-21

Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
I can't wait til you get it all together. It is gonna be sick with all the stuff you are getting from Racin and that 150cc will be able to spool a turbo pretty well.

It will also be cool to see what Harland-Sharpe does for the roller rockers too!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
The Engine build in progress.

The Engine Prep

The engine has been line honed and freeze plugs being fitted for pipe plugs. The block cleaned and magnafluxed for cracks, paid extra that, decks trued to pistons, honing cylinder walls. I deburred the block before I sent it to the shop.

Lower end.

The pistons are from Seal Power (20 Over could have went 10) and I sent them with the rods to be cryo and then the pistons tops were coated. The rings 2nd grove was sent to total seal to be made. The crank and rods are being balanced. I am using Clavite Main and rod bearing. ARP bolts for rods and mains and a new Melling oil Pump.

The cam is from Justin at R & D IDI Performance. I can’t say enough about this guy and his commitment to the IDI enthusiasts! He has really put his money where his mouth is on the commitment to the IDI and building a business to help a passion he enjoys!

All my gasket sets are from Victor Reins Gaskets

My heads, well let’s just say I didn’t ask enough question and after talking to Jerad a Great resource and friend I called the machine shop and started over after the stock rebuild! OOPS. Missed that detail and cost me 400.00 bucks. The heads have Stellite Valves, Comp 910 Spring 4 angle grind and I am currently working on roller rockers from Harland Sharp and magnafluxed for cracks . I am using ARP Studs as well.

The machine shop is currently working on the lower end. I will be getting some videos of the work and picture for my blog.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Robert, good to see you getting a thread going here as well man, its going to be awesome!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Hey all,

here is the update so far. I now own an AWESOME R & D IDI Intake.. Thanks Justin. Called and talked with Mike over at Harland Sharp. He is sending Steve at Valley Balancing a prototype Roller Rocker.. I will have pictures when they come in.. I also posted a question about a harmonic balance. I would like to find a new one for this build. If anyone knows of one please let me know. My old one was coming apart.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Awesome build. I'm following this one also.

Chet

Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Awesome build. What part of California are you in? I have this old 86 6.9L van it mit be a project for me also. Something to do with my time, it sure ain't worth nothing the way it is.

Chet

Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Hey Chet!

I live in Modesto right now

Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by bronco78idi
Hey Chet!

I live in Modesto right now
Little far for me to have machine work done. I know Joey is out there@ Terrminator.

Chet

Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bronco78idi
Hey all,

here is the update so far. I now own an AWESOME R & D IDI Intake.. Thanks Justin. Called and talked with Mike over at Harland Sharp. He is sending Steve at Valley Balancing a prototype Roller Rocker.. I will have pictures when they come in.. I also posted a question about a harmonic balance. I would like to find a new one for this build. If anyone knows of one please let me know. My old one was coming apart.
You having some RR's made up?? There will be a lot of interest in these if you do, I get lots of questions about them. Keep us all posted.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Yeah he is. Mike over there is excited to make them. Robert's will be the prototypes and from what he told me is that they want to produce them after that.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Robert I forgot to ask you, what is the rocker ratio gonna be on those? Iirc they had different ratios they could make all the way from 1.5 to 1.7 or something like that. If you are going higher make sure the builder checks the clearance...

Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
That would be the biggest benefit to the roller rockers, would be a 1.7 ratio. We are stuck with low (In relative terms) lift on our cams because we need such narrow cam timing events, its hard to find lobes to use that provide lots of lift, and the durations we need to maintain cylinder pressures where we want them... Provided the valves will clear, you want the most lift you can get on these heads.... 1.7 RR's will increase the effective flow into the cylinder.... More air to burn the fuel you put in is always good.

Quick Reply: My 6.9L IDI Build