True duels on '00 expy 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 PM
slovride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True duels on '00 expy 4.6?

I used to be a mechanic back in the day and was pretty good at fabricating exhaust. However has anyone attempted to put true duels on an expedition? I have duel cats and then they go to a Y pipe to the muffler. I would just assume buy a kit if it exist but it seems not to be out there. I just think it would sound beautiful if it was true duel like mustangs sound.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put true duals on my 97 F150 4.6L. Easy as pie. Cut out the Y and dual it out. I used 2 1/4 tube and Dynomax Super Turbos. Exit in front of the rear tire, passenger side. There is not a premade kit out there. I even dualed out my 07 F150 5.4L in the same manner.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM
slovride
Senior User
Now a lot of people in other forums are saying it hurts low, torque. I also was thinking that if the right bank pipe is longer due to working it around the tank, wouldn't that change the back pressure between the two banks... was also thinking of trying to compensate for that, but cant find a pic online of the underside/ don't have a lift of my own to snap a shot to start mocking up some drawings to calculate for all that. Or maybe I am going overboard? I used to do exhaust at a shop cause no one else was good at it where I worked years ago, however I usualy fabricated pipes that were more or less the same shapes as original pipes. In addition I have a few books on calculating this stuff. Any thoughts considering all this?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM
slovride
Senior User
One more thought I had, when looking at my exhaust yesterday (while splicing in a section of transmission line... tons of fun w/o a lift lol), I noticed that right after my dual cats I had a cross over. Should I remove that? or does that benefit me to have for the engines tune?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On an expedition. I supposed the question needs to be asked, do you intend to have people in the vehicle and run true duals? Because thats kinda the purpose for an Expedition, and it will drone like no other, making the noise levels inside especially to the back passengers nearly unbearable.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
slovride
Senior User
Yes I do intend to have people/ my two year old in the back, I did about ten years ago have a z28 and it had true strait pipes that would make my ears ring between Virginia - Connecticut... I do care about my kids hearing more then I did my own at the time lol. My truck just sounds like a granny car and want a little more meat to it. I was looking at the flowmaster 44's, was still considering the y pipe to dual conversion, just going through the motions with my new truck...

Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
slovride
Senior User
Originally Posted by V10man
I put true duals on my 97 F150 4.6L. Easy as pie. Cut out the Y and dual it out. I used 2 1/4 tube and Dynomax Super Turbos. Exit in front of the rear tire, passenger side. There is not a premade kit out there. I even dualed out my 07 F150 5.4L in the same manner.
I just had to have mine did timing set, steerting gear box, egr, pcv, belts, iddlers, tranny lines, etc... but at the end of the day she runs like a champ and I am happy, pluss saved some $ doing all my own work lol.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slovride
Now a lot of people in other forums are saying it hurts low, torque. I also was thinking that if the right bank pipe is longer due to working it around the tank, wouldn't that change the back pressure between the two banks... was also thinking of trying to compensate for that, but cant find a pic online of the underside/ don't have a lift of my own to snap a shot to start mocking up some drawings to calculate for all that. Or maybe I am going overboard? I used to do exhaust at a shop cause no one else was good at it where I worked years ago, however I usualy fabricated pipes that were more or less the same shapes as original pipes. In addition I have a few books on calculating this stuff. Any thoughts considering all this?
Don't over think it. Not a rocket ship. Dunno about the crossover your talking about. Stay away from Flowmaster. They will drone. I never had any issues with Magnaflow or Dynomax. Keep the diameter down to 2.25 and you really won't notice much difference in tq. You don't really loose it, it just gets moved around a little in the rpm band. Your highway and towing driving will improve. MPG should go up a hair too.