1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED load resistor problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
perljammike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LED load resistor problems

Hey Guys,

Need some help. I have LED bulbs all around, which caused the fast flash issue. I installed LED load resistors, which fixed the fast blink, but caused my parking lights to stop working on the rear lamps. At first I had the load resistors wired across the bulb (two outside wires). I tried going from the turn signal wire to chassis ground, but that caused the same problem.

On the front turn signals I wired the load resistors across the bulb (two outside wires) with no problems. I'm using RECON 6ohm 50w resistors.

My thought is that the resistors are drawing too much current, causing the bulb to not have enough power for the parking lights, but I'm not 100% sure of that, its just my guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM
perljammike
New User
Yahiko, thanks for the pdf. I did try going from the center wire to chassis ground, this caused the fast blink to come back, but did allow the parking light to work. It was like the load resistor had no effect whatsoever in that configuration. I haven't tried going from the center wire to the ground wire, I'll try that this weekend, but I'm assuming it will be the same as when I connected to chassis ground.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Keep away from the violet/white wires and you should be fine.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Kelly Harlan
New User
Did you ever have any luck? I replaced everything with LEDs on my 2009, and the load resistors would kill the parking lights every time they were connected to the turn signal wire/ground. I have tried a million things, still looking for an answer. Sorry to pull up an old thread, but it's still relevant..

Old 01-25-2016, 01:37 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just have to ask why you would put a resistor on a ground wire?
Shouldn't it be in series, in the hot wire?

Old 01-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Kelly Harlan
New User
All of the instructions say to put the resistor between the turn wire and ground. I did try it in series as well and that did not help. How to Install Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights

Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use a diode.
Or, some vehicles need to have the BCM flashed, when you add LED's.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:25 PM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ligito
Just have to ask why you would put a resistor on a ground wire?
Shouldn't it be in series, in the hot wire?
When replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's, it is about the overall 'load' on the circuit. The LED is high-resistance, low-current, but the vehicle expects a higher-current bulb. You install the resistor in parallel so that the the overall resistance of the LED+resistor is much lower than the LED alone, so it uses about the same overall current as the original incandescent bulb.

If you install the resistor in series with the LED, it makes the problem worse, not better.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here is yet another thread with LED issues , so I will now add my info to help, we do have another thread posted that covers some good info that I will kinda recap here!

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
@Jaime74656 I figured you may want to see some this thread since you were installing LED's as well.

I ordered some dome light bulbs and they should be here this coming week. After installing the high mount's I notice the dome lights do not match in color so had to get that fixed.

Robot Check

Interesting, I can't remember if I posted in this tread or not, but I know that I have posted in other "LED" related threads, some lights look good, but typically you only need CANBUS bulbs for cars that are approximately 2001 or newer, this typically applies to European cars, like Saab, Audi, Volvo ECT.

I would strongly suggest not using the "corn Cobb" style bulbs, due to the LEDs being narrow beam pattern, I would suggest the ones called "plazma" LEDs (of course make sure their colour match to the lens of the light going in behind), they don't use diodes as traditional LEDs do and will fill the housing much better with more even light out put, I will try to find a picture or two of the bulbs in action to show what I am referring to.

Here are a few images showing the LEDs I'm referring to, the light above the reverse light and the reverse light are both Cree LED and are of the plazma design with the top being a projector (right reverse light it a stock bulb)

also on a side note, some LEDs are polarity sensitive (im thinking most are typically, I have had maybe two sets in the amount ive had be non polarity sensitive) so if they don't work one way, turn them 180 (might be a good idea to test the bulb and find the neg and pos poles, and figure where the same is on the bulb holder/lamp base is...)

The previous F150 I had

Video of the Mustangs LEDs (using the Plazma LEDs)
http://vid854.photobucket.com/albums...psry9zyfvk.mp4

The LED flasher used (and it tucked away)

Please NOTE I am not using any type of load based resisters, I do not have the hyper flash or anything like that (see video) and all my LEDs do work.

our thread is here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ssistance.html

Old 06-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Kelly Harlan
New User
That old F150 and Mustang are nothing like the post 2008 ones.. Mine is a 2009 and it does not have a flasher relay.