Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FUEL PUMP

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Chris123NT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Nobody said this pump was not reliable or 'safe'. However, the seller may be a POS...
The article talks about it being built with inferior parts and thus being a safety issue. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want that pump within a hundred feet of my truck.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris123NT
The article talks about it being built with inferior parts and thus being a safety issue. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want that pump within a hundred feet of my truck.
By no means am I defending this company, and if it was diesel fuel I was pushing through it I might have a totally different outlook on this. Mine is pushing vegetable oil and no where near a heat source. Catastrophic failure of this pump means I make a greasy mess under the truck.

With that being said, all the statements I've seen we're by Federal Mogul. Of course somebody who is going to sell you something for 10x the price is going to tell you the competetion's is a cheap knock off. Is a Snap On wrench going to loosen the same bolt as one from Harbor Freight. Sure it will.

For my application I have no problem being the guinea pig for this pump. If it breaks I just burn dead dinosaurs until I get something else.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris123NT
I understand. The pump in the article was for a gasoline engine. It is not THIS pump. I suspect this company sells parts/pumps from dozens of vendors/manufacturers. Obviously, they buy the cheapest parts they can find. Certainly, some are better than others.

I challenge you to start a diesel fire with 12 volts. If you can do this without popping a 10amp fuse, I'd be amazed....

The most likely thing that will happen with this pump is it will stop working. The next likely thing is it could leak. So far, the 6-8 people I know running this pump have not had any issues yet.

How many other sellers on fleabay have a bad rep? The exposure here is less than dinner-for-two at Red Lobster...

Is the Airtex or Bosch pump are Made in USA? Who is making the huge margins on those options? What do ya think the mark-up is on the $38 pump?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Just an update.......
one month to the day and 1500 miles later the $38 pump is still putting out 80 psi of fuel pressure without a single hiccup or complaint!

16.0 MPG/1500 miles= 93.75 gallons of vegi burned
Diesel fuel here: $3.89/gallon
$3.89 X 93.75= $364.69
Vegi oil: Free
Fuel pump $38
Total savings= $326.69

WIN!!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I know several people using these to pump WVO right now. I think Kirk said he has 40k miles on his already. For $38 I'd buy (2) and not care if the warranty was a PITA.

They may turn out to not be very good, who knows - but its an easy part to change and its more than 75% cheaper than the Bosch. I have asked everyone to POST UP as soonas they have a problem with it.
Yes, I have about 40,000 on this pump, pumping both WVO and diesel (shared pump). No problems at all.

Anybody who thinks they need to pay $400+ for the fuel pump for this vehicle is SILLY!

OH YEAH, due to the GReasecar design, my pump has been moved to the top of the engine, so the pump starts pumping dry, EVERY START!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
For all the guys concerned about "which" diesel fuel pump is the best---read this!!

Most aftermarket stuff is just that, someone trying to copy the OEM products while using "less" quality components, thus the huge difference is unit price.

Originally Posted by scott79
BadDogKuzz, The top 5 diesel fuel pumps tested for Ford's initial sourcing consideration for the 7.3L application (1998-03 vehicles: F-Series F250 & up, Econ Van, & Excursion). Walbro, Bosch, Nippon Denso, Ford (Rawsonville Plant), & Delphi (but Delphi was dropped from the list due to some financial concerns at the time and replaced by Visteon Corp).

The "final" testing was conducted at the Ford Engineering Lab, as well as each supplier being responsible to provide their own testing data from the Engineering Specification (ES) requirements. The testing was a 28 day continuous performance test, which for simple terms was a shake, rattle & roll test under pressure, along with using a salt spray to each part to reflect harsh conditions. The salt spray is just that, water and salt sprayed to each part for the duration of the 28 day test. The testing environment included a "high-temp and low-temp" condition as well. After the first 28 day testing, then there would be another 28 day testing using the same conditons/requirements but this test was a "start-stop" test, meaning the pumps would be starting and stopping at different intervals while being under the above conditions (shake, rattle, roll--salt spay with using high and low temps). This testing was known as the "ES durability & performance test".

I haven't pull all of the test results from each potential supplier but the top 2 diesel fuel pump performers were 1) Bosch and 2) Walbro...It wasn't even close for the top spot. Bosch out performed in ALL category's and was selected/awarded the business for this application.

But in keeping apples to apples, then the Ford Program manager had to review the total package=UNIT COST...While Bosch was also at the top of this category as well, there was a "long-term" agreement made between Ford and Bosch, and the sourcing decision was made.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Just updating...

6 month mark and still pumping like a champ I'm guessing a little over 7000 miles on it. Just put another behind the seat. My diesel pump is starting to lose pressure. I'm ready for it to go.

BTW, the design changed a little, no more spade terminals on the pump. They have the bolts like the factory pumps so the ends don't have to be changed on the factory harness!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Mike. Mines', still in the box..LOL

Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
Just updating...

6 month mark and still pumping like a champ I'm guessing a little over 7000 miles on it. Just put another behind the seat. My diesel pump is starting to lose pressure. I'm ready for it to go.

BTW, the design changed a little, no more spade terminals on the pump. They have the bolts like the factory pumps so the ends don't have to be changed on the factory harness!
My $40 pump from Global Automotive now has 11 months and 13,000 miles on it and is still keeping strong pressure. No problems.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Woohooo! Thanks for the updates guys!

Russell had a 'cheap pump' failure, but it was a different pump from the ones Kirk and Mike are using. Bruce thought his failed, but he blew the chunks out of it and it worked fine. He has a pre-pump filter/strainer now...

I will be redoing 100% of my system with veggiegarage.com parts soon, but plan to use this pump. I'll clean out my old Airtex pump and keep it for a spare. We can get an OE Bosch pump for under $150 nowadays, but if this pump lasts as long as that one.............

Old 08-02-2013, 11:02 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I just ordered mine for a spare. Even free shipping! We spend more than that for beer! OK I know, beer is a necessity.
Traveling in Mexico every year this could save my azz, (along with my spare starter, CPS , belts, hoses and APS). Will stay subscribed to this thread to see if there are any failures.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
well Mike....whats the scoop

Been about 2yrs since original post, and updated in 8/13. Started with 174 and some change.....Mines'...still in the box . Says something about factory too

Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Junk. I think they've all failed. Some were able to get replacements under warranty, but I think they failed too... Some leaked, but most just quit.

Momma always said ya get what ya pay for.

I'm still using the same Airtex. They have a lifetime warranty again from the autoparts and don't ask any questions if you do bring one back. They are almost always 'on the shelf' and since my diesel system runs the same pump, I always have a 'spare' on board if I have to have it.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
It is excellent you kept this going! Threads like this encourage people to research and educate themselves on products before buying them. When it comes to important parts like fuel pumps, part quality (for safety reasons), should be strictly observed. Nice job!

Quick Reply: FUEL PUMP