6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

little headaches and things

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
lundman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little headaches and things

I have the auto locking hubs and when it is too cold out the auto hubs won't engage to 4x4. Vacuum system doesn't work in the frigid weather so then I switch the hubs to the lock position. However, this winter the locking hubs wouldn't turn, especially the left front. That isn't very good when you need 4x4.
They were stuck but good. I tried de-icer, a vice-grips for leverage but nope. Took it into the shop and the guy cleaned them up and greased them and said they turn now. Haven't checked yet but get this, oil, lube, filter, rotate tires, check brakes, hub thing, and $238. plus.

Then I had my storage locker top spring go on me. So the lid won't stay up and always slams shut or comes down on your arm. Ordered the part and had it put in today. Cost was $178. plus. Seems a bit extreme to me for a spring but wait, you don't get the spring, you get the whole unit, meaning the black piece with the spring inside. But $105 for the part?

These trucks sure ain't cheap to maintain.

I dread when my batteries (dual) go or I need brakes. Okay credit card, time to do your stuff.

Drove thru a big snow storm this morning but just for an hour thank goodness. But the snow was not like I have experienced before. I mean I live in Northern Ontario for 20 years and am used to some big snows but this morning even my windshield wipers couldn't keep up with the falling snow. Luckily it wasn't blowing much so no whiteouts. It was like someone had a shovel and was throwing it down on my truck. Okay, not quite but I was going 15 kms per hour, which is probably 10 mph, just to see where I was going with the wipers going full out. Wasn't ice but just big snow flakes.

I have those Firestone snow tires on and they sure beat my last Cooper M & S and are a lot cheaper too! I already have 111,000 kms on my truck and it is only 26 months old. My first Ford and my first diesel. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
My 4x4 always engages, bangs like a son of a gun engaging when it's really cold out though. Weird yours won't, -37 (without windchill) when I got off work last night.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, that's pricey.

I think if I were you I would consider leaving them locked for the winter months. If you have a problem again, folks say good things about the Warn replacement hubs. They're purely manual but people seem to agree that they're more reliable and well made. Before you spend another $238 you may consider buying new ones.

Batteries are expensive but oh so important, even for us southern folks. Worth the $$ for good ones.

Brakes are cheap. Luckily I am able to do it myself, less than $200 in parts and brakes can be like new again. You may consider trying it to save some coin.

Storage locker sounds like a freak thing. I have found the UWS products to be the most reliable.

Sorry about your luck. I hope things look better for ya.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
lundman
Senior User
things

I have had the Warn hubs before and never had a problem thru those years. The auto feature is nice when not too cold but if you ever have a problem with the vacuum system failing, must get out and try to turn them to the lock position. I got stuck in my driveway, which is about 100 metres up a bit of a hill and turns 90 degrees so no run. Fun in the winter. I had the hubs in auto last winter and when I spun out I opened the door and noticed the backs were engaged but not the fronts. So turned the hubs to the lock and by-passed the vacuum system and then I had 4x4.

I did have my hubs in lock for a few weeks but noticed my fuel mileage was definitely different, even in 4x2. The auto feature disengages the hardware and saves on wear and mileage.

I am not mechanical enough to do my own brakes. I could take them apart but forget about putting it all back together. And I don't want to fool with the brakes because I like being able to stop.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm surprised I haven't had any trouble with my 4x4 yet. I live way up north in Ontario too. Is it a build up of snow or ice, Or just the cold that causes the trouble?

Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 AM
grampscamper
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lundman
I have the auto locking hubs and when it is too cold out the auto hubs won't engage to 4x4. Vacuum system doesn't work in the frigid weather so then I switch the hubs to the lock position. However, this winter the locking hubs wouldn't turn, especially the left front. That isn't very good when you need 4x4.
They were stuck but good. I tried de-icer, a vice-grips for leverage but nope. Took it into the shop and the guy cleaned them up and greased them and said they turn now. Haven't checked yet but get this, oil, lube, filter, rotate tires, check brakes, hub thing, and $238. plus.

Then I had my storage locker top spring go on me. So the lid won't stay up and always slams shut or comes down on your arm. Ordered the part and had it put in today. Cost was $178. plus. Seems a bit extreme to me for a spring but wait, you don't get the spring, you get the whole unit, meaning the black piece with the spring inside. But $105 for the part?

These trucks sure ain't cheap to maintain.

I dread when my batteries (dual) go or I need brakes. Okay credit card, time to do your stuff.

Drove thru a big snow storm this morning but just for an hour thank goodness. But the snow was not like I have experienced before. I mean I live in Northern Ontario for 20 years and am used to some big snows but this morning even my windshield wipers couldn't keep up with the falling snow. Luckily it wasn't blowing much so no whiteouts. It was like someone had a shovel and was throwing it down on my truck. Okay, not quite but I was going 15 kms per hour, which is probably 10 mph, just to see where I was going with the wipers going full out. Wasn't ice but just big snow flakes.

I have those Firestone snow tires on and they sure beat my last Cooper M & S and are a lot cheaper too! I already have 111,000 kms on my truck and it is only 26 months old. My first Ford and my first diesel. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I just had my truck brakes done. They had to be done to pass the annual safety.(lots of towing, including the Rockies). I had the dealer do an oil change, fuel filters, turn rotors, brakes & safety. It cost me around $1,000.00. Just had both batteries replaced. The dealer covered them with the warranty. My guess would be your looking at $300.00 plus to replace both. I live in Ontario also. No problem so far with 4X4 but a few other annoying issues.
Good luck with your truck.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There are two seals in each hub which hold the vacuum for auto lock. When it's really cold, the seals leak to much to activate one or both hubs. I have had mine locked all winter. When you do any front end work, it's best to do the hub service at the same time when things are apart. You can try removing and cleaning up and luring yourself, sometimes this also does the trick. Reality is though really cold weather manual lock is usually needed, then no thumping to go into 4*4 because hubs, axle are already turning, just the transfer case to engage.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I leave my hubs in lock all winter and get 12L/100km according to the lie-o-meter. Compared to doing the same drive in auto, where it shows 11L/100km... so the negative impact on fuel economy is not really all that significant in my opinion.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have 2 ft of snow on the ground here in Northern Utah, and I was playing around in a field and got stuck in 2wd. I got out and locked the hubs myself, dont want to hear a BANG going on. Put her in 4wd and she motored on out of it.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
lundman
Senior User
hubs

Had my truck to the one dealership on Saturday and they greased my hubs and put de-icer in them. They turn now but I don't want to be in a situation where I am in 2 wheel drive, need 4x4, and the auto hubs won't engage, which can happen. That is why they have the manual function on the hubs in case it won't engage. I like the auto because it saves some bucks on mileage for sure.

I also like turning locking diff when needed but I do miss the limited slip I have had on other trucks. I push the button on the dash too to turn off the slip function. It all makes a difference.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For brakes, I just bought new pads for my front two wheels. $47. If you can muster up the courage, it only takes an hour to change them out.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
If you have a problem again, folks say good things about the Warn replacement hubs. They're purely manual but people seem to agree that they're more reliable and well made. Before you spend another $238 you may consider buying new ones.

Does Warn make replacments for the 2011+? I know there's no aftermarket hubs available for the 2005-10 but didn't know if something had changed and they were available for the new ones.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
lundman
Senior User
warn hubs

Originally Posted by maverick22
Does Warn make replacments for the 2011+? I know there's no aftermarket hubs available for the 2005-10 but didn't know if something had changed and they were available for the new ones.

Warn is #1 in hubs and has been for years. They make replacement hubs for the newer F-250 and F-350's and others I am sure.

www.warn.com/.../2011/.../review_2011_ford_super_duty_...

Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TRENT310
I leave my hubs in lock all winter .
I do the same

Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by lundman
Warn is #1 in hubs and has been for years. They make replacement hubs for the newer F-250 and F-350's and others I am sure.

www.warn.com/.../2011/.../review_2011_ford_super_duty_...
I'm well aware of the popularity of Warn hubs, I had a set on an old truck and they proved indestructable. However, they DO NOT make replacement hubs for 2005 and newer trucks as verified by this link from Warn. Warn Industries - 4WD Premium Hubs No one else makes them either as far as I know. I knew they didn't make them for 2005-10 but I thought maybe something had changed, that's why I asked the question and why I found the link to verify.

FWIW, Warn made the OEM Ford hubs starting in 2005 and I suspect that they still do considering they don't offer a self branded replacement. I don't know why one of the other brands hasn't come out w/ a replacement other than the newer hubs seem to be much better than the 99-04's.