Sponsored by:

First 4x4 Truck...HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 12:31 PM
vinny8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first winter with my first 4x4...and though I have read the manual many many times I thought I would ask the "experts".

Chicago weather is iffy..maybe lots of snow, maybe no snow. I have ESOF..right now my hubs are in AUTO. Should I LOCK them? For the remainder of the winter? What could be the consequences? If I leave them in AUTO will I be able to shift in/out of 4 High whenever I want? What's the difference of AUTO vs Lock? I'm confused..
Thanks
Lisa

Old 11-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Lisa,

The auto function is intended to be just that, automatic engagement of your hubs and Tcase. On the Sd's the hubs are vacuum activated. Some people have troubles with the vacuum lines, and the hubs won't automaticly lock, thats why the manual option, in case the auto fails.
I would just try it out, if you find the hubs aren't locking, then just manually lock them by hand.
You won't hurt anything leaving them locked and driving in 4x2, just don't run 4x4 on dry streches of pavement.
If you check out the SD forum the ESOF issue has been beaten to death and there is some good info up there about your system.

Old 11-27-2002, 02:55 PM
vettehauler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeti is right on (once again)

As a fellow Chicagoan, I would like to remind you that just cause you can get started and go in snow, doesnt mean you can stop. So remember to drive slow and careful, and leave plenty of room to stop.

**I would hate to meet you by accident on the Kennedy....

Drew

Old 12-08-2002, 06:41 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the AUTO works fine then I would leave it there. You may notice a drop in gas mileage by driving around all the time with your hubs locked in.

Old 12-09-2002, 01:50 AM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post