2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin LTX AT2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
tooldad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin LTX AT2

I have had a set of P275/60-R20 Michelin LTX AT2 tires on my '06 SCREW for about 2 yrs (35-40k). Smooth as glass somethimes, but sometimes not so much. Has anyone else here noticed flat-spotting, similar to the OEM Pirellis, after sitting overnight? Mine seem to vibrate considerably for the first 4-6 miles, regardless of air temperature though slightly more prevalent in cold temps. After that point they smooth out and ride very nicely again.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My MS2s seem to flatspot some...but not much. As you stated it does appear to be more noticeable after long sits in very cold temps (Well cold for here anyway...sub 30's). I know the carcass of your AT2s and my MS2s are the same, thus the only reason I chimed in.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 AM
tooldad
Elder User
I have never noticed with my LTX M/S tires on other vehicles. Really did not expect it with any Michelins. It is as bad as with my OEM Pirelli's. May have to try a different tire whenever these are replaced.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Beechkid
Received 215 Likes on 164 Posts
With their "new" orange oil design, their tires are experiencing all of that plus spntaneous sidewall blow-outs.......they have done some recalls but they are also denying a lot of warranty claims. IMHO...avoid like the plague....i would suggest Yokohama YK580's.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
With their "new" orange oil design, their tires are experiencing all of that plus spntaneous sidewall blow-outs.......they have done some recalls but they are also denying a lot of warranty claims. IMHO...avoid like the plague....i would suggest Yokohama YK580's.
No offense, but could you document this? I find nothing about Michelin using orange oil in their tires and when I search on orange oil tires, the primary user of orange oil seems to be Yokohama, in a very limited use at this point for low rolling resistance.

Michelin talks about silica in their tires, nothing about orange oil, in their own info.

George

Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I have a set of 275/75/18 LTX AT2 but haven't noticed any flat-spotting even sitting for several days. But my truck sits in a garage overnight. Maybe cold weather related?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:34 PM
TexasReb
Freshman User
I have not owned the Michelin tires, but I had a set of Bridgestone Revo's that did the same thing. The guys at Firestone would look at me like I was a nut case when I would tell them they were flat spotting overnight. I parked it in their lot came back the next morning and told the manager to go for a ride and sure enough he could feel the flat spotting. However, I just put on some BFG AT's and on cold mornings I get a slight shudder till they warm up so my question now is what has changed in the tire industry that we are getting this oddity in more and more radial tires?

The Yokohama YK580 uses orange oil and is also an exclusive design for Discount/Americas tire. I know someone who has them on a 2wd Jeep Grand Cherokee and LOVES them.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
No offense, but could you document this? I find nothing about Michelin using orange oil in their tires and when I search on orange oil tires, the primary user of orange oil seems to be Yokohama, in a very limited use at this point for low rolling resistance.

Michelin talks about silica in their tires, nothing about orange oil, in their own info.

George
Michelin dropped the marketing on this last year after they initaited a 100,000 tire recall ordered/agreed to by the feds..............Yokohama like the other mfg began incorporating the "orange oil" in their tires but not anywhere near what Michelin did and I would bet they are back peddling as fast as they can.....

very well known...just google....you will see all the recalls (complaints & failures) over the past 2 years.........here's just a fe that I could pick out it just 5 minutes..........................

Michelin recalling 841,000 BFGoodrich, Uniroyal tires
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/26/travel...all/index.html

Michelin recalls 77,000 tires for safety problem
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...afety-problem/

the tire maker is recalling BFGoodrich Commercial T/A A/S and Uniroyal Laredo HD/H tires sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/...million-tires/

MICHELIN PILOT POWER AND PILOT POWER 2CT FRONT MOTORCYCLE TIRES
http://www.arfc.org/tires/michelin/p...01/recall.aspx

Michelin Recalls 799,900 Tires For Tread Belt Separation
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...eparation.html

Michelin Recalls Pilot Sport Extra Load Tires

December 31, 2005
Michelin North America has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada that it is recalling approximately 6,500 Michelin Pilot Sport 255/35ZR20 97Y Extra Load tires in the United States and Canada.

Michelin—225/70 R15 100S LTX A/T TL Tires
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/953676

Michelin, Honda settle lawsuit over costly Odyssey runflats
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/01/m...ssey-runflats/

Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks very much, Beechkid. I was certainly not aware of these problems or recalls. I do find a lack of any mention of orange oil (but maybe missed something--on the run today so I haven't read every word), and instead looked up the Yoko 580's at Discount Tire and find that they specifically *do* use orange oil. I also noted on a google search that orange oil has been used in race tires, so it doesn't seem like a bad additive but may have a shorter lifespan(?) (Race tires don't have a very long life in terms of time passing.)

Thanks again for the info. I am still a fan of Michelin and BFG tires, but am not totally sold on them, so if I were buying any tire, I would look up its reliability history.

Thanks,
George

Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Thanks very much, Beechkid. I was certainly not aware of these problems or recalls. I do find a lack of any mention of orange oil (but maybe missed something--on the run today so I haven't read every word), and instead looked up the Yoko 580's at Discount Tire and find that they specifically *do* use orange oil. I also noted on a google search that orange oil has been used in race tires, so it doesn't seem like a bad additive but may have a shorter lifespan(?) (Race tires don't have a very long life in terms of time passing.)

Thanks again for the info. I am still a fan of Michelin and BFG tires, but am not totally sold on them, so if I were buying any tire, I would look up its reliability history.

Thanks,
George
No- I really didn't mean to impy that either...it just all came about the same timeline. I have been running Yokohamas on my Mark LT (YK 520's past 3 years) & wifes 1997Cougar Sport V8 (YK 580's for 1 year) and ran the Avid V4's for about 8 years prior to that (yeah same set) they are an incredible durable wet/dry traction tire....the ride and handling & quietness reminds you of the Michelins of 30 years ago....very solid grip, very good steering feel that is almost road race type performance feel/input but without the typical heavy steering - I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say here.....
not a single failure to date.....even found a 5/16" diameter bolt about 3/4" long in my wifes tire one day...I just knew it was going to leak when I pulled it & was all ready, but it did not penetrate the core....that is one tough tire.

Per the mgr at America Tire Company (where i have been buying my tires for 20 years- same store)....the difference between the 520 & 580 is a minor design change to make the tires quieter...I guess they had a few customers complain (we never did experience this)....to introduce the tire, Yokohama rented a track down in texas for a week & invited Discount/America to drive a variety of domestic & imports with the 580's in comparision to Michelin and pirelli......it was literally 100% of the staff agreed the tire performaned as well or better in head to head testing and was a lot less $...with as good or better warranty!