1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Boards and Cranes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 AM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Boards and Cranes

Twisted myself out last week unloading wood from my SWUV so I can't even climb into my 250 right now. Once I get back fully on two feet, getting running boards/bar is a definite must......but there seems to be so many, such a range of cost. I think I want more than a step to be able to reach all of the roof if I need to, but past that, what is there? What are the differences between bars and boards?

Been looking at cranes to help me a lot move things in and out of the bed. What I've seen mostly are bumper units around 750lbs to a half ton. What are the thoughts on those?

Headache racks.......for a ranch truck moving bricks, lumber, equipment, and probably just little ole me in the cab, how are the thoughts on those?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
AzPete
Posting Guru
I would go with running boards. They are flat and wide. The bars have flattened areas for 1 foot and the rest of the area is round. My wife and I both have back issues or arthritis and the flat boards provide more stability. After market vs factory would be up to you. We like the factory better.

As for the crane....nice item as I have looked at a few. Would the hitch mount be in the way? Might look at a modification to the hitch mount to get it more by the tail light to allow for bed access. There are wheelchair cranes that fit into the stake pocket.

Headache racks are just that. Unless you need the overhead carrying capacity, I would avoid them. I have hit my head on many just by not watching. Always seemed more in the way than used in my case.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Km1210
Elder User
I can't answer for the crane or the headache rack, but with my experience, I would go with the running boards over the step bars.

I had step bars on my truck and really just didn't like the look of them. I swapped them out for running boards that are much better and gave my truck some more ground clearence. They also do a good job of keeping the dirt, mud, snow, salt, etc... off the doors where they will eventually start rusting out.

I would have gone factory, but they were too expensive for me, so I went aftermarket and they are doing their job just as good.

This is where I ordered mine: Factory Style Running Boards Ford F250/350/450/550 SD Super Cab 1999-2012

Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
I am looking at cranes because I expect/plan to be moving a lot of heavy stuff in and out of the bed like bricks, equipment, lumber, tiles, and more. About the time I twisted my knee, there was an offer for a free ton of bricks.......which even though I had the truck, I still didn't have the capability to go after.

Live and learn and like any Barbi doll, it seems like an endless list of needed accessories.......such as also getting a cart or something to move the stuff from their backyard to the truck.

As far as the headache rack, I don't know. I came across them when I was looking how to mount the CB mast at the highest point and then found out what they were actually for. I suppose that somewhere down the line, I will eventual being adding at least a ladder to my inventory of tools....and I have seen the racks used for that........of course, I suppose I could angle it the other direction as well.

But is that enough of a justification to get a rack? Perhaps not in the short run but perhaps so in the medium run where it is a question of what's out there in the surplus supply economy that I could want and could move with the truck?

And in the long run? Eventually, I will probably get a trailer, after my training phase with the truck, when I have a place to put it. What might be put in the bed and on the rack can be put on a trailer.

But then again, there's an issue. If I get/rent a goose neck and a fifth wheel, is a rack a certainly recommended piece of safety equipment?

I bought a 250; sooner or later, I am probably going to be doing some serious towing from time to time.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
pbeering
Elder User
You should go visit with an upfitter of trucks near you to discuss crane options. There are several options, and the choice will ultimately come to how much you plan to lift and carry. (Check to see the limits on the truck so you don't overload it) (overweight tickets can be expensive)

You should also plan on air-assist helper springs (airbags) to assist.

As for the headache rack, your planned loads may dictate this too. Among the reasons to install one is to keep the load from joining you in the cab.

One other thought is hard points. The stock tie points in the bed are very light and do not meet the DOT requirements for tie points. Consider D rings attached by the bed bolts and suitable ratchet straps or chain binders.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Have you considered a lift gate for loading heavy items? Saw one some time back that folded so when it was up, it was no taller than the stock gate.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AzPete
Have you considered a lift gate for loading heavy items? Saw one some time back that folded so when it was up, it was no taller than the stock gate.
Right now, everything is in a research stage. (especially since I haven't even tried getting in my truck since I twisted my knee).

I am trying to picture the difference of operations between loading things into the bed via a crane vs shoving it on a lift gate, lifting it, and shoving it into the bed...and visa versa.

One thing about that operation is that if I am shoving it with as much force as I can get, I may need the headache rack just for that. Of course, shoving is a lot easier than pulling, so if it is pushed all the way back for loading, how does one get it out of the bed again? (at this instant, picturing a winch at home).

Right now, the bed is protected by a sheet of plywood. A bed liner is eventually in the plan but ................$$$$$$$$$.

Originally Posted by pbeering
You should go visit with an upfitter of trucks near you to discuss crane options. There are several options, and the choice will ultimately come to how much you plan to lift and carry. (Check to see the limits on the truck so you don't overload it) (overweight tickets can be expensive)

You should also plan on air-assist helper springs (airbags) to assist.

As for the headache rack, your planned loads may dictate this too. Among the reasons to install one is to keep the load from joining you in the cab.

One other thought is hard points. The stock tie points in the bed are very light and do not meet the DOT requirements for tie points. Consider D rings attached by the bed bolts and suitable ratchet straps or chain binders.
Thank you.

I should note here that my truck is a private, non commercial truck. The stuff I plan to be hauling is to build my house, things for my ranch.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I would say no to a bed liner as they can be very slippery. Unless of course you were referring to the spray on bed liners, that would be the best option.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 AM
pbeering
Elder User
Originally Posted by GallopingForester
I should note here that my truck is a private, non commercial truck. The stuff I plan to be hauling is to build my house, things for my ranch.
I assumed so, the point is that if you are trying to secure anything with any weight to it, one hard turn, start, or stop and you will rip the stock tie points off the truck. DOT load securing rules apply to all vehicles.

Get a spray in bed liner.

See above advice when determining how to lift things. What you need to lift will dictate best method.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Rexp
Junior User
a headace rack could stop items from coming in the back glass in an emergence stop situation.