Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Radiators - what's a good brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Radiators - what's a good brand?

I have the worst luck with radiators. For my '95 Aerostar (RIP), the first replacement radiator I bought came with bad crimping on the end caps. I returned it and had to hunt down another one. I think I got a Modine the second time and it was OK, but it seems like Modine is out of the radiator business or none of the auto parts stores carry them. For my Honda, I bought a Napa (not sure of who actually makes it) and I had to return it as it was damaged during shipment. The second one from Napa wasn't exactly perfect, but it's been working so far.

I'm trying to get a replacement for my '97 3.0 Aerostar and I've had to reject two of them right out of the box. The first was from Napa and was made in China. It had a rubber cap on the stem below the overflow tube connection. I thought it was there for protection or to keep stuff out. I removed the rubber cap and found that there's a hole all the way through the stem to inside the filler neck. That rubber cap is subjected to pressure all the time, not just when the radiator cap vents to the overflow. Compared that to the old radiator and found they're not the same. That stem does not connect to the filler neck on the stock radiator. Not wanting to have to deal with another leak/failure point, I took the Napa radiator back. I went to O'Reilly's and bought a Murray brand (made in China). It was the same as the Napa radiator, plus it came with a footprint right in the middle of it (not the box) and the rail where the shroud clips go was bent. I rejected that one and got my money back.

Who makes a radiator that does not have the rubber cap on that stem? I'm guessing that whoever made the tooling screwed it up and rather than fix the tooling, they now ship every radiator with that bloody rubber cap on it as a "fix". Has anyone bought a Spectra radiator for their 3.0 Aerostar? Did it have that rubber cap on it? It seems like Spectra and Murray are the only choices in the aftermarket. I may try the dealer tomorrow, but I've been told that Ford doesn't generally support after 15 years past production. Their parts contracts only require 15 years and even then, I've found that parts can be scarce before the 15 year point. And, given my luck with radiators, I don't want to try the internet. If I get a bad part, it'll cost me 3 weeks.

Sorry for the long post. I'm a little frustrated with the lack of quality radiators and my Aerostar has been down for 5 days now.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Hard to find one not made in China ! I put in many radiators each year in my shop . We had so many problems sourcing good units !I get mine from 1800radiator now. They seem to have the best ones out there . We gave up getting them from the parts stores . We also have a local shop that refurbishes old units for us .

Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
US Radiator has been around for 40+ years. The guy who presently owns it started working there 30 years ago and with the exception of 1 or 2 items, everything is built at their facility. They are also great to talk with on the phone and if you tell them exactly what you have, what are your concerns or wants, they will tell you exactly what to order. I don’t know of anyone (including the racing community) who has not been pleased with them!

Link: U.S. Radiator | The Difference Is In The Tooling

US Radiator Corporation
4423 District Boulevard
Vernon, California
323-826-0965

Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just saw this on Craigslist Orlando, the same ad shows for 3.0 liter. Maybe China. For $70. I would be happy if it lasts 24 months.

90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 FORD AEROSTAR RADIATOR 4.0 ENG NEW

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
my '97 4.0 has that second "exhaust nipple" you are referring to at the filler neck. One nipple goes to the overflow/recovery tank hose and the second one: (it came like that when I bought it), I can tell a technician put a length of rubber hose over the nipple, about 3" long, clamped it to the nipple, then put a 3/8" bolt at the end of the hose and clamped it also. Definitely a tech's fix or mod. Why? no clue. Maybe the pressure blew the cap you refer to. I think I have one of those Made in China radiators, and I think they suck. I also think this is a radiator made for a number of vehicles, some which might require that second nipple, so they stick it in there too. The advertiser in Craigslist is near me so I am going to have a look at some point. NOTE: he had them at $65. in November, then went up to $70. in December. But I think they are el cheapo chinese variety.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikeman
I think I got a Modine the second time and it was OK, but it seems like Modine is out of the radiator business or none of the auto parts stores carry them.
Modine used to be THE radiator to buy. But when everybody started to buy their radiators on price, instead of quality, they went by the wayside. I believe they are still in business, but most of their stuff is no longer American made. I have a Modine radiator in my garage for an Aerostar that is still in the box, dated 2004, and it was made in Mexico. So their American-made exodus probably started 10+ years ago. I don't have a good source for new quality radiators either. I do know of a shop that will repair radiators, but won't touch the plastic-tanked ones. Unfortunately , driving to him takes me over an hour each way. It's really sad.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a Performance Radiator brand. They are made in either Tiawan or Mexico, and the quality is pretty good.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Although I didn't call, U.S. Radiator seemed like they did more old school type radiators and didn't have anything listed on their website for an Aerostar. I couldn't find anyone who had the Performance brand. I checked around at somewhat local radiator shops and auto parts stores and ended up buying from Carquest. They didn't know who made it, but I googled the part number and it turns out that it's a Spectra Premium brand. That second nipple was solid, as it should be. The radiator was made in Canada, eh. But, I'm guessing that is no longer the case as the exchange rate isn't favorable like it used to be. The date on the radiator was 11/02/99 so it's been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got a spectra huh. Yeach. Junk. I bought one for my '97 Aerostar, couldn't keep it cool.

At least you found one with a solid second nipple, the rubber caps on the open ones tend to fail, thats all we need is another failure point.

If yours is actually made in Canada, that is probably a good find, the Spectra I got said made in China right on it, and it had the open second nipple with a cap. I had to replace that cap 4 times. So it sounds to me like you got one from the era where they were still made well. The current production stuff is poorly made.