1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1979 F-150 4x4 Supercab Harley Edition Color Selection?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
twosfamily
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 F-150 4x4 Supercab Harley Edition Color Selection?

Hello All. After a crazy and stressful year, my family is finally healthy! After selling off most of my toys and projects, I was able to buy back my 1979 F-150 4x4 Supercab from a friend who helped me out tremendously! I know, I know, Ford never made a Harley Edition in 1979. But, my plan was and is to make my own. I like the Harley Editions of recent years. I began to gather the pieces for a rebuild over a year ago. I had purchased a 6" suspension lift from a fellow member on this board. I also purchased a set of black leather seats from a 2000 Harley F-150. I also purchased the Harley F-150 exterior emblems and the Harley Davidson lettering for the rear bedside of the later models. Then life had taken us on a detour. I am back on the project now and would like to get most of it done this winter. I am going to do some mild customizing of the door panels, headliner and such in regards to the interior. I am going to leave the drivetrain relatively stock for 1979. I am looking for feedback on custom touches to the truck and help in choosing the paint color or colors. Right now, wanting to keep with factory Harley F-series colors, I am thinking a two-tone. I really like the Lava Red. I also like the Dark Toreador Red. I was thinking Lava Red for the base of the truck and the Dark Toreador Red for inside the side molding? What does anyone think? Any suggestions? I tried inserting some images of the truck when I purchased it along with a sample of the colors I was thinking of, followed by some parts I acquired to go along with the project, but I could not insert them? So, I attached this link to the pictures (I think I did anyway?)

1979 F-150 Supercab 4X4 Harley Edition pictures by twosfamily - Photobucket

Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to hear all is well now

As for the idea for the truck, i prefer the King Ranch hehe, but i say go for it!!!! This will be very unique and i really wana watch the progress. As for paint, ill take a look for a link to the edition by ford that i really like. Otherwise ill keep an open mind to new ideas. Again welcome back and cool build

Edit : Here is what im talking about. There is also another im trying to find.
http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-44747.jpeg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/c22OROEmmVc/0.jpg

Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the seats will be a real bear if your tall. id say stay with what ya got and pinstrip it real nice.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Broncoboy100
Freshman User
I work in the parts dept. at Seminole Harley in Sanford Florida. My favorite "Harley" edition was the '08 copper/ black two tone. This year the anniversary color is vintage bronze. The CVO anniversary has 3 different colors but the lava red is the best. Let me know what color you decide on and I'll get you part numbers for the paint codes. They can only be ordered in pints and is usually over $120 per pint. A good body shop should be able to match the color if you can get ahold of some touch-up paint. BB

Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the only 2 colors that say harley to me are orange and black.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool idea. Looks like you have a nice base to start from but what's all that white stuff on top? Hope it buffs out.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 AM
twosfamily
Freshman User
Thanks for the input! Please keep it coming!

SuperDuty93: Excellent idea, King Ranch! I'm thinking next project, F-350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch!

spikinfool05: Is it the seat bottom to floor distance that will make it a bear for taller folk?

Broncoboy100: Thank you very much for your paint input! I REALLY like the copper/black of the 08 also. Decisions, decisions. I will definitely take you up on the part numbers for the paint codes!

hasteranger: I hear you! I thought about that too. That is certainly still in the running.

KIKKUP: Thanks! If it ends up looking like the "vision" in my head it should look nice. It is a very, very solid truck. Particularly for a New England truck. It was an old farm truck. Very, very low miles. I purchased it from the second owner. I talked with the original owners son (the original owner is now deceased). He said they used it to haul things to and from the fields on the farm and an occasional run to town. That explains the mileage and overall condition. Very little "road" time which up here equals very little "salt bath" time. The only rust is above the rear wheelwell, and not much at that! It does have alot of dents in the bed most likely from farm usage. I found a perfect 8' bed from down south, so I will be using the rust free bed! Oh, and that white stuff, sadly, that white stuff does not buff out! It does go away on its own though! Usually after about 6-7 months up here! Oddly, when it does go away, it has a tendency to turn what is below it brown and even makes metal disappear! They LOVE the salt up here!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
cool idea

Hey man, nice start with a cool concept. Just a few things you "might" wanna consider. Even tho the seats look great, yes if you are taller than 6'ft you may find these seats tuff to make work...? In realizing you want a "harley edition" looking finished product, I would recommend you touch basis with this FTE member "crsweet". His work is out of this world, crazy skills, and good resource for info and idea's. Below is a link to his work. Good luck man, should be a real sweet looking ride!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...or-redone.html

Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
time well spent

Just thought I would tell ya, it might take a few days or more to get threw his thread haha but its well worth your time.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
twosfamily
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scott79
Hey man, nice start with a cool concept. Just a few things you "might" wanna consider. Even tho the seats look great, yes if you are taller than 6'ft you may find these seats tuff to make work...? In realizing you want a "harley edition" looking finished product, I would recommend you touch basis with this FTE member "crsweet". His work is out of this world, crazy skills, and good resource for info and idea's. Below is a link to his work. Good luck man, should be a real sweet looking ride!!

"CRSWEET" definitely does amazing work. I am definitely going to incorporate that style in this project. I am test fitting the seats now and I have some fabrication to do in order to make it work well for taller folk. Not a big deal, but I have always loved a challenge!

I am also looking for input on options. What options does anyone think would be interesting? Options that they may not have offered or even had in 1979 but would have been cool? I am on a modest budget, but I love fabrication! So, any ideas would be appreciated!

I am still leaning toward two-tone paint with a slightly modified Lava Red for the base and I am thinking a true Brandywine Candy concentrate for the inside the molding (it kind of reminds me of the Dark Toreador Red but with much more depth and DOI).

Also, I have the 6" lift, what are some suggestions on tire/wheel combos?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM
JunkyardFord
Junior User
I love your idea for your truck...I have to agree with the black and orange colors, but since it is your truck, you need to build it and paint it how you want it to look. Good luck with getting it together this time and hopefully all of your family stay well so you can do it. Keep us updated.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by twosfamily
"CRSWEET" definitely does amazing work.
X2
I had the same thought when I started reading what you want to do.
CR's interior design concepts might meld with your vision well.
Here's his thread.