1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

67 drum to disc

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 AM
troy77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
67 drum to disc

Hey guys, got a question and need some help with the answer. I've recently bought a 67 f-100 all original with no power steering, no power brakes, 4 wheel drums, straight 6 and 3 on the tree. This is my daily drive now and I'm in the process of making it a little safer and more easy to drive. I plan on doing crown Vic swap in the future when I have the time and money, until then I found a junk yard doner a 73 f-100 that I pulled the front spindles and disc brakes, power booster, lines, proportion valve, power steering pump and gear box.
Ok now for the question. For a quick install can I put the front spindles and disc brakes on for now with what I have. With out putting the proportion valve and booster? Like I said I drive it every day and down time is my problem. I will add the booster and everything else in time. Any helpful advise or critism is always a good thing. Thanks Troy

Old 10-30-2012, 04:45 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Short answer NO! You want to do a half *** job so you can hurt someone else or yourself??

John

Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
With careful planning and at least a three-day weekend, it is very possible to do the complete conversion.

You share the road with other folks. Don't make your slight inconvenience result in compromising others' safety.

R/ HIO Silver

Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM
troy77
Freshman User
Hey thanks for a such a fast response. Believe me I know I share the road with people, that's obvious. I think maybe some people on here need to switch to decaf in the morning. The only reason I posted the question is because I owned a 77 f-100 that had front disc but didn't have a booster. Just manual brakes. My only reasoning behind doin just the brake swap at this time was safety. Believe me anything is better then 4 wheel drums and no booster. Guess I could always cut a hole in the floor and use my feet. Haha. Just kidding (calm down) I plan on doin the whole conversion at one time. I'm kinda new to this site but after reading a lot of posts I think there are a few people that like to point out negative things and not post good advise, just my opinion. I did ask for answers and sarcasm. Anyway thanks fellas

Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
If you are going to do the CV switch i'd sell the disc brake set up . do a rebuild of your stock drum brakes they work just fine when in good working order and rebuild parts are cheap.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by troy77
Hey thanks for a such a fast response. Believe me I know I share the road with people, that's obvious. I think maybe some people on here need to switch to decaf in the morning. The only reason I posted the question is because I owned a 77 f-100 that had front disc but didn't have a booster. Just manual brakes. My only reasoning behind doin just the brake swap at this time was safety. Believe me anything is better then 4 wheel drums and no booster. Guess I could always cut a hole in the floor and use my feet. Haha. Just kidding (calm down) I plan on doin the whole conversion at one time. I'm kinda new to this site but after reading a lot of posts I think there are a few people that like to point out negative things and not post good advise, just my opinion. I did ask for answers and sarcasm. Anyway thanks fellas
Sorry Troy, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You asked a bad question and didn't like the answer. Pull your big boy pants up.

John

Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
vwfreak
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100
If you are going to do the CV switch i'd sell the disc brake set up . do a rebuild of your stock drum brakes they work just fine when in good working order and rebuild parts are cheap.
Hey Troy. Agreed on Mikes point. I redid my drums and they work fine. Yeah, ya gotta push 'em, but they stop the truck.

I saw you Friday driving the kids to Valley. New wheels?
We met at a stoplight at Bullard and Waddell shortly after you got the truck.
Shoot me a pm some time.

JIM

edit: At least you have an F100. Even the drums are cheap. My F250 drums are $100 each not counting labor to swap hubs and studs over.... Ouch!!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM
troy77
Freshman User
Hey Jim. Yes I got stuck taking the kids to school on Friday. Haha. Three teenagers in there is a tight fit and smelly, dang. Yes I picked up some new wheels, did a trade on Craigslist for them. They fit no problem but ride completely different then the stockers. Being a wider tire in the front grabs every little rut in the road. I agree with you guys about the drums, they do stop me just fine if you mash on em. I do prefer power and disc, that's why I asked about swapping the discs in the front. I think I might return all the 73 parts and just pick up the CV front end.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM
troy77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Sorry Troy, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You asked a bad question and didn't like the answer. Pull your big boy pants up.

John
Oh don't worry John you didn't hurt my feelings. My big boy pants are always on. When I posted the question I was expecting a educated answer from someone that maybe had been thru the same situation or had more knowledge in this then myself. That's the point to asking questions to learn, there for I don't think there is a bad question as you put it. If I wanted a safety talk I could have asked my mom. But thanks for your opinion. I guess if only guys like you were on here there would be a lot less posts. See that's my opinion of you.
Ok enough with the pissing contest lets get back to building trucks.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by troy77
Oh don't worry John you didn't hurt my feelings. My big boy pants are always on. When I posted the question I was expecting a educated answer from someone that maybe had been thru the same situation or had more knowledge in this then myself. That's the point to asking questions to learn, there for I don't think there is a bad question as you put it. If I wanted a safety talk I could have asked my mom. But thanks for your opinion. I guess if only guys like you were on here there would be a lot less posts. See that's my opinion of you.
Ok enough with the pissing contest lets get back to building trucks.
U quack me up Troy.