1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

HPO crossover ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneywar
so i have been running the hpx and the t500 and for a while now will it hurt anything? leaving it on
As far as I know Rodney, the answer is no. In my post I was stateing what Joey said about the hpx. He and Bob at dieselsite, simply said that it wasn't necessary (hpx) but you can leave it on if you want. Even though I say it will not hurt anything, you should probably check with Joey to be sure.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you happen to know how they are intergrated into the pumps

Old 09-29-2012, 08:23 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
No idea Rpdney

Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I'm gonna make the hose at work next week. I need to figure out where my fuel leak is too. I'll take pics of the hose installed one day next week.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
dosecobanya
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics and specs bill for the other DIYers out here.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dosecobanya
Pics and specs bill for the other DIYers out here.
Will do bud!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
srteach
Elder User
I will tell you that the HPx will smooth the idle and running speeds enough that mechanics notice.

I have never had a leak from the HPx.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneywar
so i have been running the hpx and the t500 and for a while now will it hurt anything? leaving it on
I don't think so, it is just redundant.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Redundant? Does the T500 improve flow between the heads?

Or since there is more hpo getting to the injectors the flow between the heads is unnecessary?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I figured it would be redundant because the HPX's job is to equalize the pressures between the two rails, and if the aftermarket pump already does that job, the HPX doesn't really need to be there to do a job that's already being done.

That's all I was saying.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM
srteach
Elder User
The OEM pump doesn't have the pressure/volume flow to supply two sequentially firing injectors on the same cylinder bank (cylinders 6&8). The HPx crossover uses the other bank to backfill the lack of oil.

A better pump (T500) can provide the oil needed. The HPx crossover isn't needed, but is a good backup.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Ah I understand. Thanks for clarification.

But what if you upgrade injectors.... they take more oil. Would it go back to not supplying enough for both sides?

Kind of like Stock HPOP + Stock Injectors = Not equalized pressure between heads...

So if you up them both
T500 + Stage 2s = not equalized pressure?

Just curious. Not that it matters much. Either way I wont be spending the $ on the HPx lol.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
It's all about volume, not pressure.

The T-500 provides enough volume to each head to stop the starvation of injectors, which is something that the HPX was supposed to alleviate. If you leave it on, it's not possible for it to "hurt," but then it might not help at the same time, thus providing another point for a leak.

Make sense?

The only time a crossover is not truly needed is with dual pumps.

I planned on putting a crossover on my truck until I have enough money to finish my motor with the dual pumps.

The T-500 is a highly modified 17° pump, and the adrenalin is a slightly modified pump with a higher degree swash plate.

I cannot speak for the ADR, but the T-500 is designed for higher volume, thus not needing the Crossover.

The ADR, from what I can gather, is designed for higher PSI per revolution. So, does it provide the same volume? I'm not sure, but does it do more than stock 17? Hell yes.
So, do you need an HPX? I doubt it.

Now on to the main topic here as of making your own lines.

I have extensively talked with guys on this topic and everyone says don't do it.

The reason being that the hoses are taking a pulsating pressure instead of a constant pressure, which if the hose is not designed for that, you could run into issues.

Yeah, its rated at 5000 PSI, but your swelling and contracting the hose at a fast rate while the truck is running.

This is just what I've been told

As for what the guy said earlier about this and what I was told as well, carry extra oil and the rail plugs/tools if you run an HPX, steel or soft.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I know the SS HPX that Clay sells is a hard line, but can this be made with 5000 psi stainless steel braided hydraulic hose? I have some #5 o-ring fittings that I got to do a HPO gauge, but I was thinking about doing a crossover and tee the gauge in the middle of it. Will this work?
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Ah I understand. Thanks for clarification.

But what if you upgrade injectors.... they take more oil. Would it go back to not supplying enough for both sides?

Kind of like Stock HPOP + Stock Injectors = Not equalized pressure between heads...

So if you up them both
T500 + Stage 2s = not equalized pressure?

Just curious. Not that it matters much. Either way I wont be spending the $ on the HPx lol.
T-500 is capable of running fairly large stage 2's.

80% of us (speculating) are going to be running hybrids in that situation, not A or B code injectors, and thus don't need dual pumps.

The pump is just designed to equalize pressure the best it can.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Well, I made the hose and put it on today after work..........

It's a 16" piece of 1/4" 5000 psi hydraulic hose with ss braid and #6 jic hose ends, and two #5 o-ring to #6 jic straight fittings in the heads. I couldn't get the ss braid under the part of the hose end you crimp, so I put thick walled glue lined shrink tube on the ends until I can get the right ends and make another hose.

I can say that the truck seems to run and idle smoother. The truck ran and idled perfect when I first got it, but then started the rough idle. I swapped icp sensors with the other '97 and didn't help. I think I may have an ipr issue because when this started the truck started using more fuel. The crossover seemed to smooth it out some, but it's still there. I also cleaned the valley out while I was doing the hose to see if I can see where the fuel leak is. I think some of it was from the fuel restriction sensor, so I took it out and put an 1/8" pipe plug in it's place. Hopefully that was the leak and not anything else.

Quick Reply: HPO crossover ?