1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

flex spings or drop axle for 51-f-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 AM
frankishelby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flex spings or drop axle for 51-f-1

Hi folks,

I want to lower the front for 3 hinches, the rear as been done at a spring shop. Some friends suggested me to put flex springs (3¨lower) at the front insteed to put a drop axle, because the ride will be softer and the look will be the same.
ther's a link at LMC truck

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

What do you think?

Tank's

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
I'll give you my gut reaction. I haven't crawled under every F-1 out there, but it seems just about all of them that I have seen have sagging front springs to begin with, especially after 60 years. Based on the picture in the catalog link you provided, most of the F-1 front springs I've seen are at least that flat or flatter already. I'd worry you'd buy those springs and it MIGHT actually leave the front end where it's already at or, even worse, actually raise it. And dang--they're proud of em, ain't they!!! $399

Maybe somebody who has used them will chime in and give a better answer, but I'm a little skeptical on how much drop they would actually provide over what is most likely already there. If you could jack the truck up and get all of the pressure off the front springs, then measure the distance between the center of the pin and the bottom of the spring and compare to what LMC has, it might give you a better idea.

How exactly did the spring shop modify your rear springs? Are they new springs, originals with leafs removed, etc.?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a pair of good used monoleafs for the front that were removed from an F1. PM or email me if interested.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by frankishelby
Hi folks,

I want to lower the front for 3 hinches, the rear as been done at a spring shop. Some friends suggested me to put flex springs (3¨lower) at the front insteed to put a drop axle, because the ride will be softer and the look will be the same.

What do you think?

Tank's
The springs LMC is selling are Posie's springs. I have set for my truck but haven't installed them yet. here's a link to their site.

POSIES Rods and Customs – Super Slide Springs – Street Rod Parts – Hot Rod Parts – Truck Parts – Ford and Chevy Suspensions and Chassis Parts

Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
A properly dropped axle* is the best solution, IMO and based on many posts on here. You should be able to do an Advanced Search for "lowering front end" and come up with lots of threads on the subject, for instance:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-springs.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-lowering.html

* The art of stretching an axle to lower it is not simple. There are plenty of threads on the 'net about hacks who do it wrong, or get the kingpin angles mismatched, or affect the caster. Don't cheap out on selecting a vendor!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
frankishelby
New User
thank's guys,
for the back , the spring shop remove 2 or 3 leafs(I don't remember exactly) and he rearched the others.

So if I understand (because my english is not perfect) the flex spring or monoleaf is not the better solution?
I looked at the web site Dropped axle Axles Axel
and I thing it's a better idea to put a drop axle.
Does someones used them here? and how is the ride?
I know an ifs is the best but I want to go traditional, keeping my original flathead v8.

thank's again

Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, a properly engineered dropped axle is the best solution because it allows you to retain the stock leaf spring packs without having to remove any leafs. With less springs in the pack, the ride becomes a lot bumpy. It's like riding an old buckboard wagon.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
The website you mentioned above is where I got my drop axle, Sid was very informative with providing insights on scrubline & tie rod extensions, very quick with shipment, If I had it to do over I would; I highly recommend him.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by frankishelby
Hi folks,

What do you think?

Tank's
It all depends upon how low you want to go. I bought Posies Dual-Flex for the front . . . picked them up from their shop in Hummelstown, PA. The rear will be Super-Sliders as they recommended. I have not installed the rear yet but here is a picture. I got a 2-3" drop. If you want more then you will need to invest in a drop axle. You probably will still want springs as the ride with the standard springs is pretty harsh. Ilya's pair of mono-leafs might work?

Attached Images