6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DIY coolant change

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY coolant change

Anybody do your 105,000 mile coolant change yourself? Mine is overdue by 28K as far as I know, but I want to do it myself so I will know without a doubt. Any tricks to it?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tested your nitrates at all?

If you're going by the "Special Operating Conditions" maintenance schedule, which everyone should be, coolant should be changed at 60K, 110K, 160K.

You can probably drain most of the coolant from the drain on the bottom of the radiator, but I'm not sure if you'll get all of it without hooking up to a machine to flush the system. Haven't done it on the 6.4, but my 95 7.3 and 99 7.3 both were able to do a typicall self flush. Kind of tedious and a PITA with disposing of coolant, running distilled water through the system and just the whole process.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,448 Likes on 1,036 Posts
You would need to remove the block plugs to get the complete drain. Then a airlift tool and add the coolant and get all the air out.

Your fuel cooler is due as well. Separate system so get that done.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:16 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
Haven't checked nitrates. How do I do that? I just purchased the truck and I want to get all fluids changed so I know what's going on. I think I'll check with the local dealership just to see how much a proper flush will be. I can do it myself if they try to rob me. Thanks for replies!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by rustyculley
Haven't checked nitrates. How do I do that? I just purchased the truck and I want to get all fluids changed so I know what's going on. I think I'll check with the local dealership just to see how much a proper flush will be. I can do it myself if they try to rob me. Thanks for replies!
Have them run and oasis to see if a dealer did the flush already.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Have them run and oasis to see if a dealer did the flush already.
customer pay work does not show on oasis. sorry

Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheezit
customer pay work does not show on oasis. sorry
How do you know the previous owner didn't have ESP?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
esp maintenance and wear is not a common thing and thats the only way it woudl show up.
I look at thios stuff all day long

Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Question maintenance questions

I'm looking at this thread as I'm checking my maintenance requirements and researching what others are doing. I just passed 60,000 miles.

I went to the Ford Owner site and assumed all of my dealer service work would be logged here but only two of the 12 or so are here. I've used the same dealer since buying the truck new 3.5 years ago. I entered them manually so I'd have them all in once place. I was given an owner loyalty card with my name and a number on it but I don't see any points on the owner site. Are they supposed to be tracked there?

Does the dealer or Ford track all of my maintenance in a separate system? What exactly is OASIS?

I do a mix of towing (15000 lb GN trailer), hauling random stuff, city, & hwy driving so I've been using the 5000-ish severe service schedule. Now that I have a reliable daily driver the truck will get to rest more (~10K miles per year instead of ~17K).

What's the change interval on my SRW 4x4 diffs? Trans fluid was just done. What about the transfer case? Coolant change coming shortly.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra
I'm looking at this thread as I'm checking my maintenance requirements and researching what others are doing. I just passed 60,000 miles.

I went to the Ford Owner site and assumed all of my dealer service work would be logged here but only two of the 12 or so are here. I've used the same dealer since buying the truck new 3.5 years ago. I entered them manually so I'd have them all in once place. I was given an owner loyalty card with my name and a number on it but I don't see any points on the owner site. Are they supposed to be tracked there?

Does the dealer or Ford track all of my maintenance in a separate system? What exactly is OASIS?

I do a mix of towing (15000 lb GN trailer), hauling random stuff, city, & hwy driving so I've been using the 5000-ish severe service schedule. Now that I have a reliable daily driver the truck will get to rest more (~10K miles per year instead of ~17K).

What's the change interval on my SRW 4x4 diffs? Trans fluid was just done. What about the transfer case? Coolant change coming shortly.

Thanks
They should be putting it in. So add them if you have the invoice. I think you can even put that in.

OASIS is the Ford online system that we canot see. There the dealer verifies all customer info/warranty/recalls.

Obviously if they are not entering then no customer loyalty points either. You should see it at the bottom or the left side of the page under Quick Links..then Customer Advantage Rewards.

60K rear diff service, 100K on the fronts.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Given the mileage and the lack of history with the truck I vote to flush and refill. I did mine a couple weeks ago. It takes a while but there is nothing hard about it. If you google 6.4L coolant replacement it should take you to a you tube from Powerstrokehelp.com. I can't remember his name right now but he is in ATL area and has a couple dozen youtubes on the site about doing various things. If you don't find it repost here and I'll look a little harder and see if I can post up a link.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,462 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Given the mileage and the lack of history with the truck I vote to flush and refill. I did mine a couple weeks ago. It takes a while but there is nothing hard about it. If you google 6.4L coolant replacement it should take you to a you tube from Powerstrokehelp.com. I can't remember his name right now but he is in ATL area and has a couple dozen youtubes on the site about doing various things. If you don't find it repost here and I'll look a little harder and see if I can post up a link.
Stanley,
I believe this is the video you're referring to. I flushed/changed my radiater fluid a couple of times and used only distilled water to flush the engine instead of tap water like was is used in this video. It took 4 cycles of draining and adding distilled water before the radiater drained clear water.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Stanley,
I believe this is the video you're referring to. I flushed/changed my radiater fluid a couple of times and used only distilled water to flush the engine instead of tap water like was is used in this video. It took 4 cycles of draining and adding distilled water before the radiater drained clear water.

6.0 SYSTEM FLUSH - YouTube
Yep, thanks thats it. I'm watching Georgia play football and didn't put enough effort into the answer. I used tap water for the first 2 then did 2 with distilled water. By that last flush I would have drank it, it was so clean. There is also a thread I started on the same subject that a forum member sent a link to a copy of the service manual procedure and it's very very thorough. If the OP want's to look for that it should only be a week or two ago.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 AM
DynamoDale
Senior User
Originally Posted by rustyculley

I would think the dealer should of did all that before had but then again they want to save money out of there own pocket!