Best timing Chain? Mild Modifications? 400

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:25 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
A "Muscle Car"? Who told you that, a used car salesman?

These DO have a following. Some folks are real proud of theirs:

1975 Ford Rancheroes for Sale | Used on Oodle Marketplace

But I think the $5-10k range for a really clean 460 car is closer than the guy who wants $30k for the one still in the wood crate.

In my limited experience, the "Squire" was targeted towards mid-life crisis suffering old men who also wanted full wheel covers, white walls and who didn't understand mag wheels and who thought that a 4 speed should be started in 2nd, and that it ruined the car for room.....

So don't go overboard on your project. As was said in another forum a while back, it's awful easy to get $20,000 into a vehicle and be able to sell it for $10,000. You can see some of that in that link btw.

Now if you do decide to go overboard, here is an example of what you should try to aim for:

1975 Ford Ranchero - 604ci Hemi-Powered Ranchero Squire - Hot Rod Magazine

Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 AM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85", whilst you are technically correct about the muscle car thing i.e. it's not a mustang, camaro, firebird, charger etc., it does fall into something like that here in aussie. A muscle car should a little rare and there aren't a whole lot of them over here. The 351c is also a revered engine in Australia so if you have a decent 351C (or even a 429-460) in something like that you wil raise eyebrows. I alas also fall into the same category. There are only 4000 odd 70-73 american aussie assembled RHD LTD's like mine over here. They are cool, wont lose their value, but you cant justify spending too much on them as you just wont get it back.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
I'm with you.

'69 Ford "Cobra" (Torino) with a 428CJ or SCJ "335 horse" , more like 370-400 probably, or other (SS396/375 horse, SuperBee 383 w/440 heads, Roadrunner 383) = Muscle Car.

1975 Ranchero with 168 horse 400: Not a muscle car.

There is a following, but the dude who wants $30k is dreaming.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 AM
crsmiffy
Elder User
They are a good looking ute. If they were over here for 10k they'd more than likely get snapped up quicker than you could blink condition withstanding.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crsmiffy
They are a good looking ute. If they were over here for 10k they'd more than likely get snapped up quicker than you could blink condition withstanding.
Classics are known as "Muscle Cars" Sure me engine is stock but alot of people modify classics to keep the "MUSCLE" in them just because its not a mustang does not mean it has not jumped thru the same hoops as the mustang which has particularly the same engines.

The muscle is not in the name, the muscle is in the "AGE" you cannot call a honda a muscle car ever. even if it had 500hp its a tuner.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
"Muscle Cars" were mid to late '60s intermediates, some strippers, with big motors. These faded out and were gone after '72, as the big motors lost power due to smog regs, and the manufacturers made more money on optioned up, cushy semi-pillow barge cars.

You can think it's a "muscle car" all you want, but it lacks the qualifying item: Muscle.

Mustangs were not "muscle cars", but rather "Pony cars", so said because the Mustang started boom in that size car.

The Pontiac GTO is credited for being the first "Muscle car" and the GTO, the BB Fairlanes, Hemi Mopars etc will all suck the headlights out of anything made in '75.

So change your timing chain and enjoy, but don't think you are driving a "Muscle car" because you're not, and your claims simply make you look foolish and sound like a used car salesman.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
"Muscle Cars" were mid to late '60s intermediates, some strippers, with big motors. These faded out and were gone after '72, as the big motors lost power due to smog regs, and the manufacturers made more money on optioned up, cushy semi-pillow barge cars.

You can think it's a "muscle car" all you want, but it lacks the qualifying item: Muscle.

Mustangs were not "muscle cars", but rather "Pony cars", so said because the Mustang started boom in that size car.

The Pontiac GTO is credited for being the first "Muscle car" and the GTO, the BB Fairlanes, Hemi Mopars etc will all suck the headlights out of anything made in '75.

So change your timing chain and enjoy, but don't think you are driving a "Muscle car" because you're not, and your claims simply make you look foolish and sound like a used car salesman.

first off since you want to be a smart alike don't talk to me bro. Come at me like that again we got a problem. Respect my truck you spit in its face you spit in my face.... this conversation is done here Child.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
You were/are misinformed about your vehicle vs. a true "Muscle Car". You can believe what you want, and you can claim what you want. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. And the fact is your fine jewel of a '75 is simply not a "Muscle Car".

Now fix your timing chain and drive with pride.

BTW, I think you were wanting to call me a "smart aleck".

I didn't come at you, I'm trying to keep you from looking foolish.

I don't particularly care for the '75 Ranchero, but that doesn't matter, it's your vehicle and I'm sure it's feelings aren't hurt by my comments.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Alas, I thought that this was under control as I could see this brewing. Considering that this was only about replacement timing chains it has definitely got out of hand. 85" you are ragging a guy in another continent and to show how correct you are in the process dissed his ride as well. Not Cool. A 1980s six cylinder OZ Ford ute converted to a stout 351c here in aussie whilst not a true classic muscle car in Australian terms at least would still have repect here and this is what chamblizi is talking about-how about the term muscular instead? It is not an Australian Torana GTR, Charger 6-pak or the beastly Ford GTHO phase 3, so from our antipodean point of view we know what it is. He's not trying to be a car salesman but neither is he being a snob either. Tying to be point perfect correct all the time isnt always a good look. I would suggest that this thread is over yeah?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Hey look, now I see this:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-for-sale.html

So all this BS about something you're not going to fix and are going to give away for $1200? For want of $100 in parts if the timing chain is the issue?

Hey, I don't blame you for being PO'd, and I admit I am peeing in the cornflakes here, but I am sorry to see you selling it and not at least making a clean runner out of it.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Alas, I thought that this was under control as I could see this brewing. Considering that this was only about replacement timing chains it has definitely got out of hand. 85" you are ragging a guy in another continent and to show how correct you are in the process dissed his ride as well. Not Cool. A 1980s six cylinder OZ Ford ute converted to a stout 351c here in aussie whilst not a true classic muscle car in Australian terms at least would still have repect here and this is what chamblizi is talking about-how about the term muscular instead? It is not an Australian Torana GTR, Charger 6-pak or the beastly Ford GTHO phase 3, so from our antipodean point of view we know what it is. He's not trying to be a car salesman but neither is he being a snob either. Tying to be point perfect correct all the time isnt always a good look. I would suggest that this thread is over yeah?
OP is in Washington state.

You made your case in your prior posts and nothing you've said is in dispute nor have I disputed it. If you thought so, I apologize.

And as I said, OP's rig does have a following and I gave some examples of Rancheros for sale or "slightly" modified.

OP is selling his vehicle so I guess the thread is over.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Fair call. I was interjecting assuming he was here in Australia. Mis-interpreted the WA thing in another post maybe? Had a bad experience with other threads when it started going like this, and while I am definitely opinionated, would rather let them go than waste my time. If it cant be done face to face, empty text on a computer isnt the way to go.
my apologies if I got it wrong in this instance.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:23 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
Fair call. I was interjecting assuming he was here in Australia. Mis-interpreted the WA thing in another post maybe? Had a bad experience with other threads when it started going like this, and while I am definitely opinionated, would rather let them go than waste my time. If it cant be done face to face, empty text on a computer isnt the way to go.
my apologies if I got it wrong in this instance.

yeah that is my only down side, i keep it strictly 100% on both parts if someone respects me it is given in return. I have had issues on other forms because of bashers and that is where i get upset. Everyone is open to there own opinion, i take no ones right to there opinion, but to make one seem as if there thoughts about there own vehicle is wrong is what gets people mad. Like i said before I am down on leg on limb and i am not willing to make the risk on stuff like this more and more. If i dumped over 10k in a car and it still was stock it is not worth it. I just need dependable transportation to and fro... I am not really concerned about all this flashy nonsense in what they put in today's cars. Luxury cars feel weird to me, when i use to work for a dealership they had a acura that was all fancy and what not.... it had heated seats and i had to take it down to the car wash this was long before they got a pressure washer and when i got in the seat kept getting warmer and warmer and warmer It scared the hell out of me... Eventually i find the **** and cut the seat warmer of. ~,~ Why buy a seat warmer when that is your butts job.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM
POPAJON
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 on the thread bashing. Craig and I have gone through it over a simple question. I have a good rapor with most of the FTE members but....there are a few, so I watch whom I reply to and what I say. Good luck in your future endevours and play safe. Popa John