Best timing Chain? Mild Modifications? 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best timing Chain? Mild Modifications? 400

What is the best timing chain for a 75 400 My timing chain just got stretched...... it is definatly a stock one i think... one day i got mad and mashed the gas and it stretched my chain by 5 degrees.

so instead of 10 degree before top dead center it is now, 15 degrees.

I intend on putting something that can take a pretty good amount of stress without stetching.

looking to spend about 100 dollars total for the whole works timing chain and gears.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Cloyes, nylon coated roller unit.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:46 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
Cloyes, nylon coated roller unit.
got a list?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by chamblizi
got a list?
I don't understand.....this is pretty much a good quality product, readily available (even at a local part stores/machine shops) & been around for 50+ years.....excellent for street/strip applications, chain only or chain/gears availability.....your gears should be fine, so I would just go for a chain...

Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
I don't understand.....this is pretty much a good quality product, readily available (even at a local part stores/machine shops) & been around for 50+ years.....excellent for street/strip applications, chain only or chain/gears availability.....your gears should be fine, so I would just go for a chain...

Uhh, pardon me but NO! NO NO NO NO NO! The timing set gets replaced as a set. No new chain on old gears. You have to pull the whole thing to put the chain back on anyway, why in the world would you go through all that labor and then put the old parts back on?

These will allow advance, zero or retarded timing in most cases. The OEM replacement will have the cam 4 degrees retarded for engines '72 and later iirc. Zero is what you want, helps a little in the power and economy department:

6.6L/400 - Cloyes Gear - Timing Chain and Gear Sets - FORD - Camshafts & Valvetrain - Engines & Components - SummitRacing.com

Old 05-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Uhh, pardon me but NO! NO NO NO NO NO! why in the world would you go through all that labor and then put the old parts back on?

6.6L/400 - Cloyes Gear - Timing Chain and Gear Sets - FORD - Camshafts & Valvetrain - Engines & Components - SummitRacing.com
Why, because unless there is something wrong with the gears, that's the way it has been done for about 50 years including dealerships! No different than a tranmission, if the gears meet spec, there is no rewson to change them- only the syncro's, pins, shims, etc. Now if you have a question about the gears (as I stated), then yes, replace them as well as a kit.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
OP has a stocker with a stretched chain. Is there any doubt there is wear in the gears? The money here is the labor. $60 for the set, $100 if he goes fancy. That's for all three, imo, the only way timing sets should be replaced. Sure, if you have a double roller with low miles in a race motor, you might just swap in a new chain. But in this case, it's all three.

And yes, I'm sure dealers would do the minimum on this job and cheat the customer--probably charge for all three parts and replace just the chain when they could get away with it.

Again, imo, there is quite a difference between transmission gears vs. timing set gears.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 AM
POPAJON
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 on changing the whole shebang. You have it opened up anyway. I use the Rollmaster chain and gears. It's a dbl roller with a timkin bearing machined into the cam side of the big gear and it is a direct replacement for the stock one to. I believe it's about 60-70$ BUT ..... IMHO one of the best investments you can make. Popa John

Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X3 on the whole thing. Have a look at 351C timing sets on aussie evilbay. you can pay nearly 2 hundy if you really wanted, but they come right back down onder a hundred and readily available everywhere

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Why, because unless there is something wrong with the gears, that's the way it has been done for about 50 years including dealerships! No different than a tranmission, if the gears meet spec, there is no rewson to change them- only the syncro's, pins, shims, etc. Now if you have a question about the gears (as I stated), then yes, replace them as well as a kit.

x4 with them sorry

stock stuff and performance parts do not mix when it comes to that area that's like mixing a edlebrock chain with old gears that could be ready to break clean off.

The forged parts must match for the fact it could cause catastrophic damage to the engine if the gears so happen to strip or the chain breaks.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
I didn't think you could only just buy a chain ? Never been that cheep . Even if you could, one would have to wonder if the new chains rollers would match up to the old gears cogs ? Not worth taking a chance, any chain and gears I ever took out the cogs were worn as well. Get some sun screen and a parasol, I think that So Ca. beach sun is getting to you !

Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by chamblizi
x4 with them sorry

stock stuff and performance parts do not mix when it comes to that area that's like mixing a edlebrock chain with old gears that could be ready to break clean off.

The forged parts must match for the fact it could cause catastrophic damage to the engine if the gears so happen to strip or the chain breaks.
Whose talking performance parts here...we are talking a relatively staock engine that needs a replacement chain. Yes, if you are going full, double roller, etc yes it will come with replacement gears.

for non-damaged oem replacement parts, a simple chain replacement will be fine. There is nothing wrong with replacing the gears as well if you want to, but replacing gears that are not damaged, have no unusual wear patterns, chances are the oem gears that are likely currently installed are of a better quality that the replacement ones (even if you go name brand to name brand)..but this is all part of the teardown assessment. It's kinda like deciding you need to repace the tranny/diff gears for a rebuild, before you even look at them....nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by mark a.
I didn't think you could only just buy a chain ? Never been that cheep . Even if you could, one would have to wonder if the new chains rollers would match up to the old gears cogs ? Not worth taking a chance, any chain and gears I ever took out the cogs were worn as well. Get some sun screen and a parasol, I think that So Ca. beach sun is getting to you !
Its not a matter of cheap.....we are talking a relatively stock engine that needs at minimum, a oem replacement timing chain. While the gears may need replacement, I have pulled gears that have 400K miles on them that look (and magnafluxed) fine, pulled others that have 50K mile on them, that well, looked like they have been through "h". Its really no different than saying your going to rebuild a tranny/diff and deciding you are going to replace the gears without ever looking at them first....yeah, you can do that, but you're not going to know if you are throwing $ out the window for no reason until you do the teardown and assess the parts.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
OP has a stocker with a stretched chain. Is there any doubt there is wear in the gears? The money here is the labor. $60 for the set, $100 if he goes fancy. That's for all three, imo, the only way timing sets should be replaced. Sure, if you have a double roller with low miles in a race motor, you might just swap in a new chain. But in this case, it's all three.

And yes, I'm sure dealers would do the minimum on this job and cheat the customer--probably charge for all three parts and replace just the chain when they could get away with it.

Again, imo, there is quite a difference between transmission gears vs. timing set gears.
Sure there is doubt- that's why you do a component assessment......there are many reasons that a chain might jump a tooth, but until you do the teardown you are only guessing as to the cause and damage extent.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM
The1nOnlyFordBoy
Senior User
20$ @ Orielly's

Cloyes - Timing Set
Part Number: C3005K

Line: CLO
Limited Lifetime Warranty
UPC: 750385800053

Includes: Crank Sprocket, Cam Sprocket And Chain

Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

Detailed Description
Sprockets Are Made From High Alloy Steel, And Heat-Treated For Durability. Chain Is Pre-Stressed And Heat-Treated For Longevity.

Manufacturer Information
Cloyes timing components offer the most complete coverage in the Aftermarket for Domestic cars, light trucks and Asian cars, light trucks. Cloyes timing components meet or exceed OE standards and in many applications are the same product that is in the OE engine.

Quick Reply: Best timing Chain? Mild Modifications? 400