Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4R100 Home Made Tool ..Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4R100 Home Made Tool ..Help Please

Well as some of you know I am going to have to rebuild my trans myself and Roland/ Mueckster and Doug/ Rosyruby from FDP has been helping me get up to speed on what I am going to need to get this job done. And Roland was saying some of you guys also have made your own tools to rebuild the 4R100. And I am hoping you would be willing to share photos of the tools you made to get the job done. I went to the steel yard today and bought some angle iron and some flat bar and am getting ready to build some tools. So I am interested in seeing what you guys used and what worked for you. I am open to any ideas other than spending big bucks to buy store bought tools.
Thanks

Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a picture that Darrell (nissandoc) sent me of his clutch spring compressor. It looks fairly easy to fabricate and I'm going to build one like it someday.
Name:  trans clutch compressor.jpg
Views: 4029
Size:  135.8 KB

You've probably already seen the pictures of some of mine, but here they are.
Name:  100_0499.jpg
Views: 3220
Size:  197.9 KB

Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
Here is a picture that Darrell (nissandoc) sent me of his clutch spring compressor. It looks fairly easy to fabricate and I'm going to build one like it someday.
Attachment 55512

You've probably already seen the pictures of some of mine, but here they are.
Attachment 55513
First of Roland thank you so much for all the helpful info and I really appreciate all the help !! I enjoy our talks

Now that is a nice clutch spring compressor Darrell made. And that is the picture of your tools I was looking for. I was wondering about what the pipe with the notchs was for??? Is that what you used to compress clutch springs?? And if I remember the pvc pipe was for the OD return spring compressor.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
First of Roland thank you so much for all the helpful info and I really appreciate all the help !! I enjoy our talks

Now that is a nice clutch spring compressor Darrell made. And that is the picture of your tools I was looking for. I was wondering about what the pipe with the notchs was for??? Is that what you used to compress clutch springs?? And if I remember the pvc pipe was for the OD return spring compressor.
Your welcome, Bro! I enjoy them, as well.
I believe that is a "bought" compressor. It looks very effective in getting the job done. I have a large C-clamp that I am going to use for the screw and fab the rest. Another use for the new mig welder.
Yes. The notched 4" exhaust pipe was used along with a flat bar and C-clamp against my work table.
The PVC ring had to be cut to allow it to expand slightly. I didn't have anything the right diameter at the time. I was a little tricky to use that way. I need to make a metal one.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
Your welcome, Bro! I enjoy them, as well.
I believe that is a "bought" compressor. It looks very effective in getting the job done. I have a large C-clamp that I am going to use for the screw and fab the rest. Another use for the new mig welder.
Yes. The notched 4" exhaust pipe was used along with a flat bar and C-clamp against my work table.
The PVC ring had to be cut to allow it to expand slightly. I didn't have anything the right diameter at the time. I was a little tricky to use that way. I need to make a metal one.
See I was thinking he made that compressor. Either way it looks like a nice tool. I'll be doing like you did with a big C clamp but as it stands I don't have one big enough so time to go shopping.
So that 4" exhaust pipe worked good ??? Do you think a piece of 4" thick wall pipe would work? Or do think it would be to thick?
Thanks again for your input

Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
See I was thinking he made that compressor. Either way it looks like a nice tool. I'll be doing like you did with a big C clamp but as it stands I don't have one big enough so time to go shopping.
So that 4" exhaust pipe worked good ??? Do you think a piece of 4" thick wall pipe would work? Or do think it would be to thick?
Thanks again for your input
I have a 12'' C-clamp. It worked fine with the 1'' thick folding table I used for work area. I had the trans case on my pipe welding table for disassembly and reassembly, but transferred the internals to the 8 ft folding table to spread out the conmponents for rebuilding.
The exhaust tubing worked well. The I.D. of the pipe is the important part. The thicker pipe may make it harder to remove and install the snap ring, unless you go larger to get the bigger I.D. The added thickness shouldn't hinder you on the O.D. side. I took a measurement on my old drums. A pipe with a 4'' I.D. and 4 1/2" O.D. would be good.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:03 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
I'll just send it to you and you send it back when you're done. That'll make it easier for you. Works best in a vise and really speeds things up. I'll also send the other tool I made, probably not as good as Roland's but it works. Just PM me your info.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:58 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nissandoc
I'll just send it to you and you send it back when you're done. That'll make it easier for you. Works best in a vise and really speeds things up. I'll also send the other tool I made, probably not as good as Roland's but it works. Just PM me your info.
Thank you Darrell for the offer !!! That would be great and would help me out alot since money is tight and I am running short on time. I wouldn't have asked to use someone's tools but I will take you up on the offer. Reps to you my brother!!

Thank you so much!! PM on it's way

I am trying to get trans done so I can drive my truck to RRE. And if I don't get this trans done I'll be driving a Chevy to RRE.